Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How do you photo/video a runner?!

seeker

Post Wed, May 02 2012, 1:29 am
I barely have ANY pictures or video of my baby since she first started walking about 9 months ago. I LOVE taking cute pics and videos, making photo books/albums and video montages, and capturing delicious babyhood. I positively DROOL over other people's gorgeous baby pictures and say to myself "My kids deserve to have such beautiful pictures of their fun times to look back on!" I watch DD growing up way fast (I daren't say too fast, it's all in the name of healthy development B"H) and the deliciousness is slipping through my fingers and if I can't bottle it, then at least I want pictures and videos of every stage to enjoy when I'm old.

Then I take out the camera. I have a good camera. It is just about as fast as point-n-shoots get, takes good clear pictures, and caught many a fleeting expression back when DD spent much of her time sitting in approximately the same place. But now as soon as the camera comes out DD zooms over to me and just wants to see what's that toy Mommy's playing with. Many cute moments happen when we're alone together, but I've even tried sometimes with DH there to engage/distract her; no dice. She always zooms someplace where I can't get her in my view (usually my lap). I haven't tried having someone else take the pictures, because frankly I'm far and away the best photographer in the family and I'm the one who enjoys it anyway, but I bet she'd still be going for the camera no matter who has it. She already got a chocolatey fingerprint right on the lens once. Ouch.

So the only pictures I have of her for the last half a year or so are strapped into the high chair. I must say that pose is quite limiting and getting old and tired. I also have been craving some video of the cute activities she does, the ones you can't really manage in a high chair - like the funny music dance with the fancy footwork and tushy-bopping. She's already outgrown some things with nary a trace left behind. Adorable kid but just not a camera performer.

Any advice? Any professional or serious hobby photographers on here can offer hints? (though frankly the last time I actually did take her for professional pictures we had quite the same problem, and I went to a place with a pretty good reputation...)

bnm

Post Wed, May 02 2012, 8:26 am
get her a toy camera? wire your house with security cameras and use the footage?

sunny90

Post Wed, May 02 2012, 9:02 am
bnm wrote:
wire your house with security cameras and use the footage?

LOL
I just found that hilarious!

kb

Post Wed, May 02 2012, 9:09 am
I've found taking pictures of my very active 1 year old frustrating, because by the time the picture is captured, his face or gesture or whatever is passed.

But I figured out how to change the settings on my camera - I have a mode called TV, not sure what that stands for, but I made the shutter speed as fast as possible, adjusted a few things - trial and error - until I now managed to get some adorable pictures - of him waving, clapping, laughing... I'm so excited!

Playing is still harder, but I think it'll work better now that I have these settings figured out.

Simple1

Post Wed, May 02 2012, 9:10 am
Keep her busy with a toy.
Or sit her down in an interesting chair.
Have someone help you keep her distracted form your camera.
Try to be sneaky, so she doesn't notice you (assuming you are taking candid -not looking at the camera -shots.

I know, it's hard. Last night my 3yo was sleeping in an adorable position. When I got the camera and came near her, it startled her out of her position. And it's not the first time it happened.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics