Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
"Family First" (MISHPACHA) Serial story "Hid
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Dec 14 2006, 3:49 pm
Icant stand the story. Every character there is sooo extreme. ugh.

creativemommyto3

Post Thu, Dec 14 2006, 4:15 pm
has anybody else read the book "One Day and Forever " by Sarah Birnhack? That is a very similar story and the wife there chose to stand by her husband eventhough it meant cutting off from her family which would have kept her living quite comfortably. I for one am not chassidish but have a nice place in my heart for chassidic things.I don't like these labels other than the label of being a good torahdic jew who follows Hashem's torah with love. If being chassidish is this avreich's way of serving Hashem , then so be it. Let him be .

sarahd

Post Thu, Dec 14 2006, 4:24 pm
The Sara Birnhack book is set a couple hundred years ago when chassidus was just starting, isn't it? That sort of story was certainly not unusual for those times. In today's day and age, though, people (at least the people I know of) are not quite so paranoid.

I find the story riotously ludicrous. It's one of the funniest stories I ever read. I get a kick out of it. In the beginning I was wondering if the point was to make fun of people's extreme chumros. Now I guess it's a polemic against rejecting other drachim in avodas Hashem.

As for the comparison to Hearts of Gold, I guess the editors were looking for another suspense family-fight story that would have people running out to the stores to grab their copy of the magazine.

slush

Post Thu, Dec 14 2006, 6:58 pm
I think it is showing us not to bring up our kids in such a narrow minded way so that when they are out there on their own they can't cope with anything different.
Goldie's mom is the annoying one, her father seems as though he might be slightly more level headed.

ceo

Post Sat, Dec 23 2006, 8:51 pm
I started buying mishpacha again, just for the story. Raise your hand if you think Goldie is CLOSE MINDED and JUDJEMENTAL!!!

I was cheering when Goldie's MIL opened her mouth! you go girl!

I was getting so upset, and my husband had to remind me that it's a fictional story and these are not real people.

Mama Bear

Post Sat, Dec 23 2006, 11:14 pm
If only my mother would let me submit DOUBLE LIVES to them for consideration....

zissy2004

Post Sun, Dec 24 2006, 9:33 am
just a question,mindy, if your dh would let you, would you consider doing it even if your mother wouldnt let?

Its just that a friend and me are always discussing why we are still scared of our mothers( like we wouldnt wear certain things our dh wants because of our mothers) thats why im asking.

its such a pity, its an amazing story and you have such talent!!

rise above

Post Sun, Dec 24 2006, 3:09 pm
lol, ceo

my hands are raised! -> Cheers

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Dec 24 2006, 6:03 pm
my husband defnitely lets, but I can't do it to my mother. not out of 'scared' but out of respect and kibud eim.

MyKidsRQte

Post Sun, Dec 24 2006, 6:39 pm
Mindy wrote:
If only my mother would let me submit DOUBLE LIVES to them for consideration....

Whats Double Lives?

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Dec 24 2006, 9:16 pm
a book I wrote, which you can read at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/doublelives.

MyKidsRQte

Post Sun, Dec 24 2006, 9:34 pm
it says that group no longer exists Confused

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Dec 24 2006, 10:16 pm
remove the . at the end! doublelives

MyKidsRQte

Post Sun, Dec 24 2006, 10:56 pm
got it, now all thats left is for the moderator to allow me to join the website LOL

yersp

Post Sun, Dec 24 2006, 11:15 pm
shira wrote:
Is anyone following "Hidden Promise" in the "Family First" section of Mishpacha Magazine? Any ideas as to where the author is going with it? I'm so curious.............

It just got too boring for me. I skim through the story when I'm absolutly bored just to get a gist of whats going on. Otherwise, I HATE IT!!.

Raisin

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 7:13 am
Does your mother not want you to publish the book because it is too personal? (I haven't read it) Why don't you change details to make it anonymous?

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 11:42 am
it's not really personal but my persoality definitely comes through.

I'm touched by all the recent interest in the book! read it, enjoy, and comment!

shalhevet

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 3:02 pm
thanks for approving me Very Happy

I think it'll take a few days till I get time to read it - I can't wait.

MyKidsRQte

Post Tue, Dec 26 2006, 12:01 am
the first three chapters that I read so far are really great

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Dec 26 2006, 1:20 am
thanx ENJOY ALL Smile
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics