Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
5 yr old DD not happy in school

amother

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 3:01 pm
My 5 yr old dd's teacher just called to tell me that my daughter seems really unhappy in school- she says she looks sad in the morning, doesn't participate in activities, isn't interested in playing, is very closed into herself, stays in the corner most of the day, etc.

I'm so sad to hear it and dont know what to do! Sad She's been acting totally normal at home, leaves happily to the bus, comes home looking fine, and hasnt mentioned anything upsetting. Her teacher said it's been going on since after pesach and is worse in the past month. She cant think of anything that happened in school that would have caused it.

I need advice! How do I approach my daughter, and how can I find out from her whats bothering her?
I'm really really sad- my poor baby! (she's my oldest, so its the first time im having school issues with any kids..)

Please help me! TIA

PAMOM

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 4:57 pm
First, your dd is lucky to have a teacher who cares this much. However, it doesn't mean that she sees everything that's going on. Maybe what she sees as "sad" is actually a welcome chance for your dd to spend time alone--or maybe she IS sad. Can you find some alone time with dd (together as you wash dshes or cook is fine or when you put her to bed) and say that the teacher said dd has been spending more time alone, not participating in activities, etc. You and teacher want dd to enjoy her day and wonder why she isn't participating. Don't make her feel like she's doing anything wrong--you're just curious because you love her and want to make sure she's enjoying school.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers