Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Daughter in my bed

MorahRachel

Post Thu, Dec 28 2006, 9:43 pm
My five year old daughter comes into my bed EVERY night. Does anyone have any ideas on how to keep her in her own bed? The hitch is that her bedroom is on the main floor while the rest of us (me and my husband and my son) sleep upstairs. (No choice on that one)
All ideas are welcome

MOM222

Post Thu, Dec 28 2006, 9:59 pm
The only advice I can give you is set her up on the floor, to sleep next to you but not in your bed.

ruthanne

Post Thu, Dec 28 2006, 10:28 pm
I agree with MOM222. Kids have to know that its okay to come to mummy but mummy's bed is off limits. When my 2 year old did this I put 2 spare blankets on the floor next to my bed and when he came in the middle of the night I told him to lay down on the blanket and I covered him with another blanket. It worked b/c soon he stopped doing it. Kids wake up from habit.

Motek

Post Sat, Dec 30 2006, 7:28 pm
MorahRachel wrote:
The hitch is that her bedroom is on the main floor while the rest of us (me and my husband and my son) sleep upstairs. (No choice on that one)

really no choice? I am not surprised your daughter doesn't want to sleep alone, downstairs, she's right! But she cannot sleep in your bed or EVEN in your bedroom. How old is her brother? Why can't she sleep in his room?

MorahRachel

Post Sat, Dec 30 2006, 9:07 pm
my son is 2 and they used to sleep in the same room but they woke each other up. Also since they go to sleep at the same time, my daughter used to fall asleep in my bed which I really do not want to do since it gives her the idea that she can sleep in my bed, even though we moved her every night.

greenfire

Post Sat, Dec 30 2006, 9:28 pm
Little kids are scared and insecure - you can't put her on a separate floor. And putting her on the floor in your room you may as well leave her in your bed. There has got to be a better solution. My kids slept in same room until they got older or didn't want to. I only put them on different floor when they requested own space.

I just painted my dd room and convinced her it was ok to sleep in it. The reasons she didn't however were hugh extenuating circumstances.

MorahRachel

Post Sat, Dec 30 2006, 9:36 pm
I know its a really hard situation. We have 4 bedrooms, 2 on the main foor and 2 upstairs. We had the children sharing a room for a while but as I said earlier, they woke each other up. He usually gets to sleep earlier but she would keep him up and she usually slept later but he would wake her up earlier. It was a bad situation. Against my better judgement, we moved my daughter downstairs, we got new carpet I spent my summer vacation decorating it with all kinds of great things that she likes. I dont know what else to do. All I can say is that she wakes herself up all night and continously comes into our room. We have tried charts, positive reinforcement, returning her to bed, etc. Any other ideas would be great, otherwise we'll just suffer until she gets a little older. :-(

ima25

Post Mon, Jan 08 2007, 7:46 pm
She probably won't be doing it after her wedding. Wink

I finally locked my kids out, but my small apartment the two bedrooms are right next to each other.

Good luck Rolling Eyes

bandcm

Post Mon, Jan 08 2007, 7:48 pm
I second what everyone else said. Put her in a corner of the living room or whatever, but not on a separate floor. It must be scary for a little girl!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children