Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Shalosh Seudos for this Shabbos (Tisha B'Av)
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

debsters1101

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 8:13 am
Yes please! That sounds delicious and perfectly filling. Thanks!

freidasima

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 8:15 am
Shabbat of course you don't need eggs, it's shabbos! But I eat hard boiled egg whites, they are good protein, the rest of the household likes hard boiled eggs or egg salad so....

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 8:47 am
shev wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
shev wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Raisin wrote:
I can leave my cholent on the plata. Shabbat, what summer?
oh, sorry Smile
Here in sunny and very hot israel, it has been 38 C in some areas. Vey very hot, sitting in your skin chewing on ice cubes hot.
Its ok, we dont eat chulent even in the cold weather.

We eat cholent every week, I live in Israel.
wow, even in the heat that was all last week? wow or better yet, why? Smile (partially kidding)
we dont have soup either in the hot weather.

Were very traditional with our foods on shabbos. We eat the same foods every week and cholent is our chamin so we eat cholent every week, in the heat and in the cold.
what do you mean by this? Chamin is just the hebrew equivalent of chulent. Do you mean your warm food for shabbat?

est

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 9:23 am
we also have cholent in the summer, just like chicken soup on fri nite. it is just part of our regular shabbos menu. sometimes we have soup during the week too.

anyway I don't see why soup/cholent is different to any other hot food like roast chicken, roast potatoes, kugel,shnitzel... (I was trying to find the confused scratching head emoticon but it seems to have dissapeared)

do you only eat cold food the whole summer - it is more than half the year?!

est

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 9:26 am
just realised that cholent on shabbat is off topic. sorry.

I was considering potato salad. do you think mayo is not wise before a fast?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 11:04 am
shalhevet wrote:
What are you going to be serving? I'm thinking of making lasagne in addition to my regular fare (fish, dips, cheese, salad etc.). But I'm interested in other ideas.
Thank you for starting this thread. I was just about to!

You'd serve cold lasagna?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 11:09 am
My mother once hosted bochurim (including my I didn't know it yet brother in law Tongue Out) pre-fast and made a turkey.
Somehow I can't see my family appreciating that Smile

I usually do salmon but I only have one piece of the kind I like left, and I'd eat it myself, but my sister is coming and that's not nice to her. I can put it in a salad, but it's still not very filling.

I usually have baked potatoes, but I don't have a good way of keeping them warm. So maybe scalloped potatoes. That would require my husband assenting to the blech being on though. I guess it depends how hot it is!

I may do some eggs, but they don't sit well in my stomach.

I like green beans for the iron, so maybe I'll make more than usual and make that the vegetable for Shabbos.

Start drinking your water, ladies!

shalhevet

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 11:23 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
What are you going to be serving? I'm thinking of making lasagne in addition to my regular fare (fish, dips, cheese, salad etc.). But I'm interested in other ideas.

No, I warm it up on the platta.

Tamiri

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 11:29 am
At least in Israel, the greatest issue is drinking, not eating, enough. Whatever you eat is fine, even a tuna sandwich. Filling means nothing: the body passes it in a few hours, no matter what you eat. Dehydration due to not drinking enough is the biggest worry.
In fact, the lighter the food you eat and the less you shtup yourself with food, the easier the fast will likely be.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 11:41 am
I'm probably serving fleishig... Thinking oven baked shnitzel, brown rice with craisins/mushrooms/onions/garlic, a big salad, and melon.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 11:42 am
shalhevet wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
shalhevet wrote:

You have a milchig one, or you're allowed to use it for both? (I have no idea as I have never owned one.)

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 11:44 am
Tamiri wrote:
At least in Israel, the greatest issue is drinking, not eating, enough. Whatever you eat is fine, even a tuna sandwich. Filling means nothing: the body passes it in a few hours, no matter what you eat. Dehydration due to not drinking enough is the biggest worry.
In fact, the lighter the food you eat and the less you shtup yourself with food, the easier the fast will likely be.
I completely agree -- I think eating lightly serves one better than filling up and feeling miserable. Also, your stomach gets used to less food if you don't overdo it.
But I do think complex carbs take longer to break down and so it will last a bit longer, and I do prefer getting some protein in as that is what my body most needs. I mean I don't need to start feeling hungry TB night Smile
But yes, by the morning, we're not really still using much of the food from 12 hours before.

ClaRivka

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 12:00 pm
im serving cold lasagna, tuna noodle casserole, and salad.

ray family

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 12:21 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
My mother once hosted bochurim (including my I didn't know it yet brother in law Tongue Out) pre-fast and made a turkey.
Somehow I can't see my family appreciating that Smile

I usually do salmon but I only have one piece of the kind I like left, and I'd eat it myself, but my sister is coming and that's not nice to her. I can put it in a salad, but it's still not very filling.

I usually have baked potatoes, but I don't have a good way of keeping them warm. So maybe scalloped potatoes. That would require my husband assenting to the blech being on though. I guess it depends how hot it is!

I may do some eggs, but they don't sit well in my stomach.

I like green beans for the iron, so maybe I'll make more than usual and make that the vegetable for Shabbos.

why not set it up on a timer so it's not on all day?

Start drinking your water, ladies!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 12:29 pm
Why did you bold that?

mosma

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 12:35 pm
oodlesofnoodles wrote:
debsters1101 wrote:
Im thinking a nice cold pasta salad might be easiest anyone have a good recipe?

Kosher by design entertains has a very good pasta salad with salmon, I can post the recipe if you would like

Yes please!

Shopmiami49

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 12:39 pm
Hashemlovesme wrote:
I was thinking of a barley bean soup, can I keep that on the blech all Shabbos? (unless someone invites me out for Shabbos day Wink
)

you can come to me, but I think we are a liiiiittle too far for you Wink

PS: How is a barley bean soup all that different than cholent?

shevi82

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 12:52 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
shalhevet wrote:

You have a milchig one, or you're allowed to use it for both? (I have no idea as I have never owned one.)

You don't put it directly on the plate you turn a baking pan over and place the lasagna on top.
My dh just told me that he wants to keep the cholent on the plata so he will be having that, my kids could join him if they like. I will eat challah and veggies maybe a yogurt.

Shopmiami49

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 12:58 pm
I'm considering making ra_mom's sticky brown rice stew with meatballs in the crockpot (we have another small crockpot) and a big salad. Although dh will probably want milchigs. We'll see...

Annie

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 12:58 pm
I think we're having some type of grilled or baked chicken (our plata is up and in the basement so as not to heat the main level of the house), and quinoa. I think I"ll be eating mostly quinoa. We have starting hydration-central in my house, we literally leave water bottles all over so people will pick them up when they see them and drink. It's the de-caffination process that's challenging for me....(I started rosh chodesh)
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days