Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Shalosh Seudos for this Shabbos (Tisha B'Av)
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

sped

Post Tue, Jul 24 2012, 12:36 pm
mandksima wrote:
sped wrote:
jemappelle wrote:
couscous salad is filing as well- the fine couscous with diced tomatoes, pepper, cucumber, parsley or whatever other veggies you like...I often put olives but will skip because of the saltiness.

Sounds great. How do I dress it?

I eat that too a lot. Sometimes add in chick peas as well. I dress it in olive oil, fresh lemon juice (and rind if you use it), salt and pepper, cumin and dried corriander if you have it.

Thanks

simchamommy

Post Tue, Jul 24 2012, 3:28 pm
for everyone who's planning on having milchigs - how early do you eat lunch on shabbos to be serving a milchig meal that has to be done before shkiyah? I'm worried we won't be milchig by the time we want to eat - and no one wants to start too late and have to shovel down food before a fast
I'm thinking pasta salad and parve tuna quiche

sped

Post Tue, Jul 24 2012, 4:21 pm
simchamommy wrote:
for everyone who's planning on having milchigs - how early do you eat lunch on shabbos to be serving a milchig meal that has to be done before shkiyah? I'm worried we won't be milchig by the time we want to eat - and no one wants to start too late and have to shovel down food before a fast

How do you make that, please?

mha3484

Post Tue, Jul 24 2012, 4:24 pm
We start anywhere from 11:30 to 12:30. We also don't linger much. We could easily be done in time by 12:30 which means milchig by 6:30.

momaholic

Post Tue, Jul 24 2012, 7:01 pm
I am making tuna patties, cheese blintzes and veg. blintzes. salad too.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Jul 24 2012, 7:06 pm
simchamommy wrote:

Shkiya here isn't until around 8:10 or so -- that would give us until almost 2:00 to finish lunch -- in reality we're usually done between 12:00-12:30.

debsters1101

Post Tue, Jul 24 2012, 7:15 pm
Does anyone have that kbd entertains pasta salad with salmon recipe???

cbg

Post Wed, Jul 25 2012, 11:02 am
DH would like a full meal before the fast, similar to erev you kippur, meat of course (since its Shabbat and we can). We are big eaters in our family.
I would appreciate suggestions of things that would be ok to leave in a crockpot or a warming drawer for that long and still be tasty.
What can be served at room temperature?
Is anybody else serving a full meal with fish and chicken/meat or are we just strange, and really big eaters?
Maybe it's a Sephardic Spanish thing. I would appreciate all suggestions, but nothing too complicated.

sky

Post Wed, Jul 25 2012, 11:09 am
Nope we area also probably doing fleishigs, I won't a real meal including brown rice.
I may end up doing MaBelleVie idea of brown rice salad and chicken.
I would like a hot recipe in the crock pot, but I am also afraid to try something new like that in case it burns.

cbg

Post Wed, Jul 25 2012, 11:16 am
Oh I forgot to mention. I never make seuda shelishit at home since our shul makes a big one every shabbat so all the ladies go. I go almost every week for the past 20 years, so basically I've never made one at home that I could remember.

bigmomma

Post Wed, Jul 25 2012, 5:44 pm
I'm planning to make a big roast friday night not sure what the sides will be. I think meat is fortifying even if not right before the fast. For shabbos day we will have leftover roast or cold duck sauce chicken, pasta salad, squash kugel (in grahm craker crust, maybe not great before a fast) and some kind of green beans. Later on shabbos day? maybe more chicken , not sure. We never do a formal shlosh suedos!

Isramom8

Post Wed, Jul 25 2012, 7:04 pm
The problem is that none of us feel like eating on Shabbos afternoon. I usually just have fruit. My daughter is makpid to have some challah. So watermelon and tuna sandwiches will be filling at that point. And water, lots of water.

Raisin

Post Wed, Jul 25 2012, 7:10 pm
I think I will serve:

a lentil soup I will leave in the crockpot.
wamed pitta/challa
cold sliced chicken breast for those who want meat
falafel
chummous
salads - cole slaw, isreaeli salad
egg salad
tuna salad
pasta salad/brown rice salad? any good recipes?
watermelon and grapes

I'll serve a light lunch so we will be hungry. just one course.

sped

Post Thu, Jul 26 2012, 9:39 am
I am serving milchigs. DH, our only faster, prefers it. It looks like:
ww challah, salads and dips
s/ kind of fish
ww pasta salad with a dairy dressing - I am looking for ideas for how to make that
egg salad with fried onions
vegetable salad
fruit salad

sneakermom

Post Thu, Jul 26 2012, 10:24 am
My husband wants the meal to he fleishigs. So I think I will be serving cold chicken cutlets, apple kugel, couscous salad, and peach compote. I also will have salmon for anyone who wants.

my80

Post Thu, Jul 26 2012, 11:38 am
could you post the salmon salad please, thanks!

shabri

Post Thu, Jul 26 2012, 3:35 pm
Also doing fleshigs. Schnitzel, quinoa, carrot muffins, fruit and salad

Smiling Wife

Post Thu, Jul 26 2012, 5:02 pm
Ladies I can't believe any of you are serving cheeses or fish? These are food that make you very thirsty!! Fish has natural saltiness in it and cheese has many added salts ( unless you are using a sweet cheese )...

... just saying... maybe I am exaggerating Rolling Eyes I think you should reconsider Confused

Making Bulgur-lentil salad- chicken and lettuce salad, watermelon ad grapes.

Smiling Wife

Post Thu, Jul 26 2012, 5:09 pm
jemappelle wrote:
couscous salad is filing as well- the fine couscous with diced tomatoes, pepper, cucumber, parsley or whatever other veggies you like...I often put olives but will skip because of the saltiness.

exactly, sorry I am getting too excited about this but I think we should avoid cheese- olives-tuna and other fish....

It is not the end of the world though... Wink It will be hard anyways. I hope this is the last year we need to do this, and then we can discuss recipes for chag binyan beis hamikdosh!

foodcritic18

Post Fri, Jul 27 2012, 1:08 am
We are doing a lentil soup in the crockpot, with delicious crusty bread, egg salad, chopped liver and a nice salad and water.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days