Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
My son is violent towards me

amother

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 7:57 pm
My 7 yo adhd son has become violent towards me if things don not go exactly his way. He has been on medidate since pesach, and I haven't had a major problem when it wears off. This summer its getting so bad, all it takes is one thing to tick him off, one time I tell him no etc... and he starts throwing things, hitting and kicking me, calling me names and being destructive. It has come to a point where I am fearful as he is strong and I am expecting. We are working with a behavioral therapist but I find that although he has improved in school and socially overall, when the medicine wears off there is no stopping him. Any advise?

amother

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 8:30 pm
I have no great suggestions but just wanted to let you know that I can sympathize. my son is 13. he doesnt get violent towards me but he does towards his siblings and is definately destructive. I feel for you. its not easy. hugs!

amother

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 8:30 pm
I have no great suggestions but just wanted to let you know that I can sympathize. my son is 13. he doesnt get violent towards me but he does towards his siblings and is definately destructive. I feel for you. its not easy. hugs!

amother

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 8:38 pm
Go to the Dr. If your son has grown, his meds might need to be increased.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 8:58 pm
amother wrote:

The main problem is when the meds wear off....

yummy2

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 9:02 pm
Speak with your dr, he may suggest a nightly small dose of abilify, used to control impusle.
I would also ask the behavour therapist how to go about it.
Know you're not alone, but do be on top of it, email or leave a message with your neurologist tonight.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 9:06 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

The main problem is when the meds wear off....

From one amother to another. I urge you to go to the Dr. His meds might have to be adjusted. Maybe they have to up his douse or change meds. My son started Concertta 18mg. He could be difficult with me. We upped to 27mg. We switched meds. We are now at 36mg. All my son gained was 6 lb. We ended double the douse.

Do this for your son's sake as well as your own. My son is proud when he is a good boy. He will test me also. Tell the Dr what your frustrations are. I enrolled my son in counseling. The therapist discontinued because my son had no issues with the right dosage. If it is just adjusting the dosage or finding the better medication, you should do it before you give birth.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 9:54 pm
Ask your dr. about a time release medication. Maybe he can help you with that. I hope that you find a good behavior therapist that can teach him how to cope during morning hours when he still calm and he should learn to carry it over once the meds wean.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)