Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Father never named the baby!
Previous  1  2  3

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 10:59 am
I beleive al pi halacha she has to be formally named at an aliyah ltorah. otehrwise it could have repercussions when it comes to her kesubah. You need to ask a shayla.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 11:02 am
If the name was used when writing in to the Lub. Rebbe, I have heard that it's okay.

redhot

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 12:22 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Are the posters who name right away part of any specific cirlce? That's my question. Thanks.

the only connection I can think of is that we are RELIGIOUS JEWS Wink

mumoo

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 2:50 pm
Ruchel wrote:

wow! I would have gone to someone else, many accept this type of names!

I hear. really, tho, you can't shop for a psak like a suit (it's actually harder to find a good suit) Smile

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 3:22 pm
Ruchel wrote:
amother wrote:
I was given my jewish name at the age of 10 by a rabbi, I never had a kiddush and b'h I am married and had no problems with shiduchim.

My parents were against "new trends" like baby naming so I was just given my name without any ceremony, and I had no problem either.

what trend?
The only thing that needs to happen is when your father goes to shul he needs to have an aliyah and make a special mishaberach where the name is "announced".
Kiddushes or baby naming parties are the trends, not the actual ceremony of a father naming the baby during layning.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 3:48 pm
Sthillmom. that's not what I mean. and I think you know that.

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 10:12 pm
There is a sefer called "Kav Naki" on Hilchos Gittin, authored by Rabbi Avraham Dovid Lavut, a chossid of the Tzemach Tzedek who was the great,great grandfather of the Lubavitcher Rebbe. ( Rabbi Meir Shlomo Yanovsky, the father of Rebbetzin Chana, the Rebbe's mother, was the son of Rebbetzin Baila Rivka, the daughter of R. Avraham David Lavut)

R. AD Lavut was a great Gaon and scholar, and his work is relied upon till this day, by Rabbonim who deal with Gittin. Included in this work are the way names should be spelled for a Get, which as we know must be accurately spelled and written, with serious consequences otherwise.

There are many, many Yiddish names, (aside from Hebrew ones) both for men and women brought down with all their variations, and the Kav Naki explains the halachos connected with writing them in a get.

Quote:
another dd had a yiddish name (russian (?); so do I, btw), he said no

what can you do.
it is obvious that Yiddish names are valid Jewish names. (do you want to check for your names in the Kav Naki?)

amother

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 10:16 pm
Mindy wrote:
I beleive al pi halacha she has to be formally named at an aliyah ltorah. otehrwise it could have repercussions when it comes to her kesubah. You need to ask a shayla.

My ketubah has my Hebrew first name and my English middle name, spelled in Hebrew. I was never formally given my name either. When we got married the rav said it didn't not matte, and because I used that middle name my entire life, it should go on the ketubah.

I have since then found out what my real middle name was. Kind of upset I couldn't have it on my ketubah, but that's another story.

greenfire

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 10:32 pm
I do not see how a name you decide to give your child can be wrong - especially after they are already named!

amother

Post Fri, Jan 05 2007, 2:03 am
I always spelled my name mem, alepf, shin, ayin

(can somebody tell me how to post b'ivris?)

My kesuba says mem,shin, heh

When dh and I write our names on invitations, it looks like we are a very non-permitted couple

mimsy7420

Post Fri, Jan 05 2007, 10:15 am
I know of a case where a husband and wife had been married for 30 years. Somehow they found out that the husband who was named after his grandfather was spelling his name different then his grandfather spelled it. With an ayin instead of an aleph I think. And it was spelled wrong on their kesuvah. Their Rav said they had to get "remarried" and they had a little ceremony in the Rav's office, and a new kesuvah was written up.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions