Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Looking for a stuffed cabbage recipe

silverlady

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 10:25 am
Please help! I've never made it before, and each of my cookbooks has a totally different recipe.

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 10:36 am
3 days before you want to do your cooking, wrap the cabbage in saranwrap and freeze it. A full 24 hours before you plan on cooking, take it out of the freezer and let it defrost in the saranwrap (the saranwrap keeps the smell of the cabbage from stinking up the house).

I defrost chopped meat, add cooked rice, an egg or two, garlic powder, black pepper and a dash of salt and mix together.

I then cut the cabbage leaves off the core one by one, checking for bugs as I go and wash it carefully. Then I cut off the center 'rib' of each piece, add some meat, fold and roll.

I use a large pot. I line the bottom with sliced potatoes so the cabbage rolls don't burn.

The sauce I make is tomato juice, tomato paste, lemon juice, black pepper, garlic powder and if I have it, a can of sourkraut. If you prefer sweet, omit the sourkraut and add sugar and raisins. Mix that in a bowl.

Then I layer... add some sauce, then a layer of stuffed cabbat. Another layer of sauce then some more stuffed cabbage, ending with sauce. If I have meat left over, btw I make meatballs and add that to the pot as well.

Cover and let it simmer on the stove, medium heat for about 2 or 3 hours...

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 12:56 pm
We've discussed this before, if you want to do a search.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics