Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Sandwhiches for camp/ school

mommyof2boys

Post Tue, Jul 31 2012, 12:37 pm
penut butter is not allowed.

tuna he wont eat.

cheese he just takes out the cheese and eat it. which I guess isnt the end of the world

the only thing I have left to give him is cream cheese. but every single day???

at what age did your kids start to enjoy things like turkey slices, chopped egg, avocado etc? I hate that all I give him is cream cheese but he wont eat anything else!

am I missing any other ideas? we do pasta a lot too... I just wish there was more protein

Pineapple

Post Tue, Jul 31 2012, 12:39 pm
Bean spread?
Moch tuna?
Any nuts allowed? If yes almond or cashew butter

gp2.0

Post Tue, Jul 31 2012, 1:03 pm
Maybe try tuna with lots of mayo, so it has a creamy texture rather than a grainy one.

My DD began eating all this stuff as soon as she began eating. 10-14 months. In fact she didn't like sandwiches until she was 2. She would eat the insides and discard the bread.

Does he never eat this food at all? Start giving it to him for breakfast and supper. Experiment with all kinds of different and interesting ways of presenting the food. Don't shy away from spicy, sour or salty.

Avocado 'boats' with a sprinkle of salt.
Guacamole - mashed avocado and hard boiled egg, lemon juice, salt, scallion, scoop with crackers.
Eggy boats - quartered hard boiled eggs with dash of salt.
Deviled eggs - DD doesn't like the texture of hardboiled egg yolks so I cut the egg in half or quarters, remove the yolks, mash with mayo, salt and paprika and then scoop back into the white quarters.
Sliced turkey - rolled up, or add some pickle slice eyes and mustard mouth.

Let him see you or DH eating this stuff too. Then, once he likes these foods, you can just use them as sandwich fillings.

If he picks out some fillings and doesn't eat the bread, what about fruits and vegetables? DD loves pickles, cucumbers, tomatoes and fruit and they are filling and healthier than bread anyway.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Jul 31 2012, 1:10 pm
Chumus or other bean dip, or even techina. Butter, fruit spread. My ds also likes chicken wraps, made with slices of shnitzel. And deli meat, but it is so unhealthy I don't buy it anymore. What about burgers?

Why do you have to send a sandwich? What does he usually eat at home?

Aribenj

Post Tue, Jul 31 2012, 5:18 pm
Does it HAVE to be a sandwich?

What about borrekas? (mushroom, spinach, cheese, etc)

Soups? (you can send in a thermos)

how about dairy kabobs? (you spear baby tomatoes and mozzarella and olives on a toothpick)

Yogurt?

egg salad? egg sandwich?

Imitation crab salad? in a sandwich?

cheese cubes?

cottage cheese?

mha3484

Post Tue, Jul 31 2012, 5:47 pm
How about cheese and crackers? Anything can go between crackers if your ds doesn't like bread.

granolamom

Post Tue, Jul 31 2012, 7:42 pm
my kids dont like sandwiches either.
sometimes they'll take chummus in a pita.
one kid takes cheese sandwich and eats only the cheese. which is ok with me. another one likes jelly sandwiches which imo is nothing but a sugar fix. most of my kids skip lunch and eat like horses the second they get home. not great, but it is what it is.

momfrombrooklyn

Post Tue, Jul 31 2012, 10:56 pm
If he likes to eat the cheese by itself, maybe just give it to him that way, a slice of cheese in a bag and a slice of bread or crackers to eat separate. What about nutella, or plain jelly- I work with preschoolers and they bring all these options, as well as what previous posters wrote

shanie5

Post Tue, Jul 31 2012, 11:25 pm
What about melting the cheese on the bread?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics