Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How often do you throw out your sponges?

Happy18

Post Tue, Jul 31 2012, 7:54 pm
If I don't throw out my sponges every week they stink. I feel like this is a huge waste of money. Anyone have an alternative?

yo'ma

Post Tue, Jul 31 2012, 8:00 pm
My sister throws hers in the dishwasher, but she doesn't use a sponge. She uses a chore boy golden fleece. Do you use an actual sponge? Mine lasts for a few weeks.

Happy18

Post Tue, Jul 31 2012, 8:02 pm
I throw my fleshig ones in the dishwasher so those last a few weeks. But milchig and parve don't last more than 2 weeks. I use regular sponges.

fish35

Post Tue, Jul 31 2012, 8:06 pm
Bar Mops. Take a new one every day. Throw used ones in towel laundry. Different colors for milchigs, fleishigs, pareve. Best size for washing dishes is 12x12 in. Great for all purpose cleaning too. No more bacteria laden sponges for me.

Happy18

Post Tue, Jul 31 2012, 8:10 pm
I like that idea. I didn't realize bar mops came in color. I thought they were all white. Going to have to look into this. Thanks!

chocolate chips

Post Tue, Jul 31 2012, 9:33 pm
I take a new one when it smells or if I had to clean something really dirty.

I usually wait until they have them for like $1 for 3 in shoprite, buy a ton and then use a new one when needed. Usually its like every 2-3 weeks sometimes longer.

edited to add: I also "wash" them after each washing up session. I rinse it with boiling water and squish around with soap too so it always looks clean and smells kinda fresh at the end of the day, helps it last longer too.

Annie

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 12:04 am
You can also microwave them to kill germs

Chloe

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 1:22 am
What Annie said. You can microwave it on high for 2 minutes to kill germs. I will check out bar mops, seems interesting.

zaq

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 5:53 pm
I seldom use sponges; instead, I use washcloths, change them often and launder them weekly with my towels.

imasinger

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 5:55 pm
You can throw them in the washing machine, too, on hot.

seeker

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 6:52 pm
My personal eitza is to make sure to squeeze them out after using and then put them in a hole-y basket over the sink. They go longer without getting smelly when they aren't sitting around wet. Between that maintenance and microwaving them every week, they can go maybe a month or so without getting hopelessly yucky.

imamiri

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 7:07 pm
If you have to use sponges, microwave them often. They are bacteria havens.

I use bar mops too.

Happy18

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 7:09 pm
seeker wrote:
My personal eitza is to make sure to squeeze them out after using and then put them in a hole-y basket over the sink. They go longer without getting smelly when they aren't sitting around wet. Between that maintenance and microwaving them every week, they can go maybe a month or so without getting hopelessly yucky.

I do this and microwave them. Still get stinky. Looking into bar mops thanks everyone!

groisamomma

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 9:30 pm
Is a bar mop more abrasive than a regular rag?

I use the ones that come three metallic ones in a package-Blue, green and red slightly abrasive sponges. They don't last more than two to three weeks and some less because hand washing knives usually cuts them prematurely.

biscotti

Post Sun, Aug 12 2012, 12:03 am
I buy these small dark green ones comes like 6 in a pack and toss them every week I forgot the name of the company

fish35

Post Sun, Aug 12 2012, 2:33 pm
groisamomma wrote:
Is a bar mop more abrasive than a regular rag?

I use the ones that come three metallic ones in a package-Blue, green and red slightly abrasive sponges. They don't last more than two to three weeks and some less because hand washing knives usually cuts them prematurely.

Just slightly more abrasive than say an old cut up undershirt which is smooth. The bar mops are made with a 100% cotton bumpy material more like an old towel (washcloth), but I wouldn't call them abrasive like the back of a sponge.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry