Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
The "goyische" taste of margarine
1  2  3  Next

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 3:51 pm
FIL's wife uses margarine instead of oil in her potat kugel and it tastes, well, goyische to me!

anyone else think this way?

Marion

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 4:09 pm
If she hadn't told you, would you have been able to taste the difference? I actually have several kugel recipes that call for a tablespoon of margarine, including the one that's the favourite around here. What's "non jewish" about margarine?

greenfire

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 4:13 pm
eeww - don't like margarine or butter - won't even have it in my house (kids think I'm crazy) - but what does that have to do w/non jewish. I make mine w/olive oil - healthier and tastier

Flowerchild

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 4:21 pm
margarine is horrible it has so much saturated fat.

are you saying that margarine is non jewish because it resembles butter? like having fake cheeze on top of meat?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 4:27 pm
If it were a tablespooon, okay, but it's not. It was like a whole stick and the kugel was even yellowy from it . . .

I think Lily got it, like a meat and cheese thing . . . but not a good meat and cheese thing!

mimsy7420

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 4:28 pm
I'm not a fan of margarine either, but I dont get how margarine in a kugel makes it non jewish tasting.

yoyosma

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 4:28 pm
I make a kugel that calls for a stick of margarine. I dont know if that is non jewish.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 4:50 pm
In noodle kugel, okay, but this was potato....anyway, we all have different tastes so that's okay.

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Jan 03 2007, 3:30 am
All my kugel recipes call for oil, like a half cup. or a whole cup for a very large kugel.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 03 2007, 5:10 am
saying that something is "non jewish" tasting, especially in a derogatory way, is a thoughtless and very rude thing to say.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jan 03 2007, 10:02 am
I only told you all, not her.........

amother

Post Wed, Jan 03 2007, 10:33 am
[quote="chocolate moose"]I only told you all, not her.........[/quote]

huh?

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jan 03 2007, 10:58 am
I will restate.

FIL's wife raved about several new recipes she had. She emailed them to me, and I tried them. (I'm sure I posted this before).

Not only were they not our taste, the potato kugel had a goyische taste, in our opinion (not just mine, DH's too.)

I thanked her and told her we'd try them. Nothing more, and she never asked.

There is no way she'd find out our real thoughts, unless one of you tells her, lol!

lubcoralsprings

Post Wed, Jan 03 2007, 11:09 am
I use margerine. I cut it into small squares and place it all over the kugel. Whenever I make the kugel, which is rare because it's fattening, I get rants and raves about how good it is.

shoy18

Post Wed, Jan 03 2007, 11:11 am
You must be "Goyische" lubcoralsprings....LOL....

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jan 03 2007, 11:19 am
To each his own, I guess . . . . .

healthymama

Post Wed, Jan 03 2007, 1:15 pm
We went to a kosher chinese restaraunt last night. The food tasted really non jewish... chinese- non jewish to be specific. Yum !

cindy324

Post Wed, Jan 03 2007, 2:30 pm
HMM...I've heard of heimishe taste, but goyische taste? What does that taste like?

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jan 03 2007, 2:48 pm
I don't mean a cheeseburger taste, b/c that goes togeether (obv not in the boshor vecholov sense), or even a sausage or bacon taste, b/c that's also a specific taste/small that you can make Kosher - I mean the "milchig" potato kugel taste is goyische to me!

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Jan 03 2007, 4:19 pm
Some margarines ARE milchig. it's important to be aware of that. Others are made on dairy equipment. Make sure the one you buy is totally parve. Maybe that's a point this thread can make.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen