Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Hi riser or day bed?

amother

Post Sun, Aug 19 2012, 11:24 am
My kids sleep in my dining room. We want to purchase new beds for them and first choice was a high riser so we can tuck the bed under and have more space during the day.
Now DH says we should rather et those day beds that also come with a pull out bed since it's a piece of furniture and nice to have in a dining room.
My concern is if the day beds are good quality- I don't want to spend more than $400 , which we were planning to send on the hi riser.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience here and can suggest and advice pros and cons.

zaq

Post Sun, Aug 19 2012, 12:55 pm
I never cared for so-called daybeds: they look like beds, not like sofas. High-riser covers with bolster pillows (sold separately) don't look like sofas, exactly, as they have no arms, but the tailored covers make them look much less bedroomy than daybeds.

Another possibility might be two armchairs that fold out into beds. This would leave your DR looking more DR-y, but the folding mattresses are never as good as regular mattresses, and then of course you'd have seating for only 2.

A possibility if you have 2 girls is a queen size futon, though you'd have to buy queen size bedding and find a place to stash it during the day.

another plus with a high riser is that you can eventually separate the two beds and use each one as a regular twin bed. The " trundle-bed-in-a-drawer" thing doesn't pop up and is rather weird as a stand-alone.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Aug 19 2012, 1:03 pm
Why not a couch that opens into a large, comfortable bed? I've slept in a couple that felt just like regular beds. And they definitely don't look out of place in a living area of the house.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Aug 19 2012, 1:06 pm
Also, you can get great quality used furniture on Craigslist for a fraction of the retail price. I just bought a bed in excellent condition for $100. It retails for $500 everywhere else I checked. I just cleaned it with pledge and it was good as new.

zaq

Post Sun, Aug 19 2012, 3:00 pm
Word of caution: beware buying used bedding or upholstered furniture. Bedbugs are the latest plague, found in even the swankiest hotels, and they LOVE hanging out in crevices of furniture and mattresses.

ROFL

Post Sun, Aug 19 2012, 3:04 pm
Totally agree with this. It cost thousands of dollars to get rid of bedbugs.

zaq wrote:
Word of caution: beware buying used bedding or upholstered furniture. Bedbugs are the latest plague, found in even the swankiest hotels, and they LOVE hanging out in crevices of furniture and mattresses.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Aug 19 2012, 3:07 pm
True. We were careful about figuring out why they were getting rid of the bed. And we checked the mattress well (we didnt take it) which was white, and can be checked pretty easily if you know where and what to look for. It is a risk though.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 19 2012, 4:36 pm
Thanks everyone!
So we just got back from the store. Any pretty day bed which would look really nice in my dining room, was close to a thousand dollars.
Same with a couch.

So we went with the old fashioned hi risers, which will probably be moved into a guest room as soon as we move, (hopefully sooner than later). I think it was our best choice for now.

One day I'll be able to afford magnificent chidren's furniture Smile

Happy 2B

Post Sun, Aug 19 2012, 7:59 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks everyone!
So we just got back from the store. Any pretty day bed which would look really nice in my dining room, was close to a thousand dollars.
Same with a couch.

So we went with the old fashioned hi risers, which will probably be moved into a guest room as soon as we move, (hopefully sooner than later). I think it was our best choice for now.

One day I'll be able to afford magnificent chidren's furniture Smile

Amein!

Happy18

Post Sun, Aug 19 2012, 8:09 pm
You can buy a daybed set like this and prop the pillows against the wall. They even make sets where the pillows slightly resemble couch cushions.
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.co.....&

Tova

Post Sun, Aug 19 2012, 8:57 pm
The problem - and awkward thing about day beds - is that the "seat" part of the couch is much higher than a normal couch and as such is very awkward.

Happy18

Post Sun, Aug 19 2012, 10:51 pm
Ok but what is the alternative if you dont really have a choice?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics