Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Name printed on toddler backpack?

amother

Post Wed, Aug 22 2012, 8:16 am
do u think its a safety issue to have my 3 year old sons backpack have his name printed on the outside of it for "strangers" to see his name clearly ?

Cookies n Cream

Post Wed, Aug 22 2012, 8:19 am
Yes. I would not do it.

kb

Post Wed, Aug 22 2012, 8:23 am
We used to have our name written in hebrew - assuming that someone who can read Hebrew would not ever harm a child. (Unfortunately, that premise has been invalidated. Very sad.)

sarahla

Post Wed, Aug 22 2012, 8:24 am
For sure I wouldn't. I always write it on the inside. I was so mad when last yr my DD teacher wrote with a sharpy our last name on the front of backpack, told her all she had to do was open it to see I had already labeled it!!!

I don't want any strangers knowing m kids name and try calling them by it.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Aug 22 2012, 8:43 am
the first initial is okay, or both initials. that's all. school bag, yarmulka, etc.

zaq

Post Wed, Aug 22 2012, 9:11 am
Please, please, please DO NOT have your dc name printed on ANYTHING visible from the outside. All security and police experts advise against it. Children assume that someone who knows their name knows them and is therefore not a "stranger" to be avoided. (Even adult men sometimes forget that their name is on their kippah and think the person hailing them is someone they met but forgot.)

It's a common trick for predators to call a child by name and claim to have been sent by Mommy or Daddy to pick them up from school and the like.

If you must distinguish your dc backpack from all the other identical ones in school, write the dc name on the inside and decorate it with some design on the outside.

shlomitsmum

Post Wed, Aug 22 2012, 9:20 am
zaq wrote:
Please, please, please DO NOT have your dc name printed on ANYTHING visible from the outside. All security and police experts advise against it. Children assume that someone who knows their name knows them and is therefore not a "stranger" to be avoided. (Even adult men sometimes forget that their name is on their kippah and think the person hailing them is someone they met but forgot.)

It's a common trick for predators to call a child by name and claim to have been sent by Mommy or Daddy to pick them up from school and the like.

If you must distinguish your dc backpack from all the other identical ones in school, write the dc name on the inside and decorate it with some design on the outside.

This!

I used to tie a pretty pastel colored plaid ribbon to the top part ,so that dd could tell it was hers at a glance even if another girl had the same backpack Very Happy . her name an phone in case it got lost was written on the inside.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics