Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Sick from roaches?

amother

Post Sun, Aug 26 2012, 3:11 pm
Last week we moved into a new apartment. DD woke up the first morning with interesting blistery bites. She has woken up almost every day with a new one. Her bites were mostly on her legs and one right above her eye. I just discovered that we have roaches. besides for being totally grossed out I am concerned for my dd. She has had a really poor appetite and hardly ate for the past couple of days and was pretty kvetchy. She only had fever for a few hours one day. I am nervous she got bitten from the roaches and contracted some disease.

I myself have a bunch of bites on my legs and dh has on his neck.

Should I be concerned or am I paranoid?

Anon bc I am asking others

amother

Post Sun, Aug 26 2012, 3:13 pm
Sounds like bedbugs.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 26 2012, 3:19 pm
we checked for bed bugs already. Saw the roaches and also centipedes (known to be in areas of insect infestation).

amother

Post Sun, Aug 26 2012, 4:07 pm
Cockroach bites are rare. I'd contact an exterminator -- sounds like bedbugs to me, too!

zaq

Post Sun, Aug 26 2012, 4:10 pm
AFAIK roaches do not bite. Bedbugs do, and they're world-class hide'n'seek players. That you didn't see them doesn't mean they aren't there.

However, bedbug bites aren't usually blistery, and they tend to be in rows of three (referred to as breakfast-lunch-supper) usually on the abdomen. Is there standing water anywhere in the vicinity of your house? Mosquito bites can be anywhere, though they are itchy, raised, smooth red bumps, not blistery.

Contact your local health department pronto.

B"H YOM YOM

Post Sun, Aug 26 2012, 8:40 pm
You can definitely get sick from roaches but it affects allergies, asthma... they do not bite though. What you are describing sounds very much like bedbugs which do leave a raised bite very much mimicking a small mosquito bite. They do usually group in three mainly on exposed areas of the skin (but they are good crawlers and not picky so could be anywhere). Do you mean YOU checked for bedbugs or a professional did? Could also be spider bites. You need a really good exterminator in there asap-one who knows how to look for, identify and rid your home of any unwanted pests. But another question, where is the landlord in all of this? It is their responsibility, contact them right away! What a situation, good luck!

smiledr

Post Mon, Aug 27 2012, 9:23 am
Maybe its scabies?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics