Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Has anyone gone for a sleep study?

amother

Post Tue, Aug 28 2012, 8:38 am
what was your experiences?
is it traumatic for child?
is it only overnight (someone told me they went for 3 nightS!)
any info or insights are gladly welcomed!

mha3484

Post Tue, Aug 28 2012, 8:46 am
I had one done in 12th grade. I have lot to say if you are interested since I was not a small child.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 28 2012, 2:55 pm
diff amother, but I am interested

mha3484

Post Tue, Aug 28 2012, 3:04 pm
I was always a very active sleeper and never felt truly rested so my dr recommended a sleep study. I also have tourette syndrome so that was an added reason to do the study. My mom and I slept over in the hospital. I was in a pretty typical hospital room by myself. I brought my own pillow and pajamas. No hospital gown or anything. My moms room was more like a hotel room.

I was attached to tons of wires. If I wanted to use the bathroom, I had to have the nurse unhook me. I found it almost impossible to sleep that way which made the test useless. I think I really slept for something like an hour. I can fall asleep in a variety of situations but this was just too much for me. I cant figure out how a younger child is supposed to do this. I at 17 just didn't get a result.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 28 2012, 9:45 pm
DS had two when he was a baby. He went in at 10PM, they hooked him up, got his head all greased up, connected all these things to his head, chest, body, etc. Then they let me feed him (needless to say, BFing was not going to happen because every time I touched his head one of the probes fell off and they would have to come back in and put it back) By the time he fell asleep it was 12AM.

Then basically they let him sleep. He was only 6 weeks old (they were checking for sleep apnea) so after 4 hours he woke up to eat, and we had to do the same thing over again. He went back to sleep and by the time he woke up at 7AM to eat they were done. The only thing is that every time he would stir in his sleep, the probes would fall off and they'd have to come in and fix it, so that woke him up.

Still, I'm glad we did it, because it turned out he had SEVERE sleep apnea (64 episodes in 7 hours) B'H he's over it now.

mandksima

Post Wed, Aug 29 2012, 6:07 am
My two oldest kids had it done when they were 2 and then again at 4 or so and my dh had it done 8 or so years ago. Each was fine and no complaints really. They tell you how it will be. It is not easy with a young child though.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 29 2012, 6:12 am
How old is your child? My ds had it done at 3 weeks old and 7 months. Not too bad. If you want more details I can post.

exhausted

Post Wed, Aug 29 2012, 6:13 am
I'm the above poster. Didn't mean to post anon.

cutekids

Post Wed, Aug 29 2012, 11:30 am
My son had one last year when he was four. I talked to him about all the wires and stickers on his head. I slept in the full size bed with him. It was so late by the time he was all ready to go to sleep that he had no problem going to sleep. Test showed he had severe sleep apnea and got his tonsils and adnoids taken out.
Hatzlacha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics