Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Can cats and rabbits live together?
1  2  Next

sequoia

Post Sun, Sep 02 2012, 10:33 pm
We're thinking of getting a rabbit.

Will the cats eat him?

Has anyone heard of cats and rabbits living together in peace?

sequoia

Post Tue, Sep 04 2012, 1:38 pm
*bump*
Anyone? Chavs?

rachel91

Post Tue, Sep 04 2012, 1:52 pm
I never had any rabbits but I had a cat and I know of someone who had rabbits.

First of all rabbits live in a cage, it is better to have a garden if you want to have a rabbit.
Since the rabbit is in a cage it is protected from the cat.
I don't think they will play together:).
And if you decide to let the rabbit out so just make sure to watch it (and the cat).
I have no idea if the cat would be tempted to eat the rabbit, but definetely catch it.

sequoia

Post Tue, Sep 04 2012, 1:56 pm
I don't want it to live in fear.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Sep 04 2012, 1:57 pm
No idea whether cats and rabbits can play nice, but maybe you can teach the cat your signature line. Very Happy

sequoia

Post Tue, Sep 04 2012, 2:00 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
No idea whether cats and rabbits can play nice, but maybe you can teach the cat your signature line. Very Happy

Oh, I have no doubt the cats would love the rabbit. The question is, HOW would they love him? LOL

rachel91

Post Tue, Sep 04 2012, 2:00 pm
As I said, they live in a cage so there they wont notice the cat. If you don't have a garden I wouldn't take in a rabbit if I had a cat already. If you are afraid for it to live in fear make sure the cat is not around when you let the rabbit out. I don't think they will be able to be out together peacefully.

sequoia

Post Tue, Sep 04 2012, 2:02 pm
rachel91 wrote:
As I said, they live in a cage so there they wont notice the cat. If you don't have a garden I wouldn't take in a rabbit if I had a cat already. If you are afraid for it to live in fear make sure the cat is not around when you let the rabbit out. I don't think they will be able to be out together peacefully.

Yeah, no, we live in an apartment.

rachel91

Post Tue, Sep 04 2012, 2:05 pm
sequoia wrote:
rachel91 wrote:

Yeah, no, we live in an apartment.

How did you want to accomodate a cage in an appartment? Smile rabbits need fresh air+ I doubt you would enjoy the cage in the appartment:)

amother

Post Tue, Sep 04 2012, 2:07 pm
my inlaws have both. they DO NOT get on. The cat tried to scratch the rabbit's nose off.

dunno if thats typical though

sequoia

Post Tue, Sep 04 2012, 2:08 pm
amother wrote:
my inlaws have both. they DO NOT get on. The cat tried to scratch the rabbit's nose off.

dunno if thats typical though

Ouch.

Guess it's not happening then.

ora_43

Post Tue, Sep 04 2012, 2:36 pm
Back in the day my family had cats and the next door neighbor had (unwanted) rabbits. I remember once our oldest, scrawniest cat tried to take on one of the rabbits. She wasn't big enough to take it down and it wasn't smart enough to shake her off, so she ended up basically riding it around the yard like a horse until they both got tired. Good times.

Anyway. I don't think they usually do well together. But if you have separate spaces for them (even if not a whole yard) it might work. Like, cats get the living room, rabbits get the kitchen.

marshmellow

Post Tue, Sep 04 2012, 3:20 pm
I think you would have to keep the rabbit in place the cat cannot get to. I love cats, they have healing properties. I have a friend whose friend was healed by her cat. she had a serious illness and the cat gave her healing and the illness (tumour) completely disappeared. true story
cats know everything

rachel91

Post Tue, Sep 04 2012, 3:57 pm
marshmellow wrote:
I think you would have to keep the rabbit in place the cat cannot get to. I love cats, they have healing properties. I have a friend whose friend was healed by her cat. she had a serious illness and the cat gave her healing and the illness (tumour) completely disappeared. true story
cats know everything

interesting.., never heard about it. my cat only scratched me never healed me afterwards though..Smile

Happy18

Post Tue, Sep 04 2012, 4:16 pm
yes they can live together, but dont be surprised if the cat tries/eats the rabbit.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Sep 04 2012, 4:40 pm
http://www.rabbit.org/journal/......html

sequoia

Post Tue, Sep 04 2012, 5:09 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
http://www.rabbit.org/journal/2-11/cats-and-rabbits.html

Thanks!

alpidarkomama

Post Tue, Sep 11 2012, 10:28 pm
Our cat ignores the rabbit and adores our (big) dog. We have our rabbit indoors when it's over 80 degrees here, out with the chickens when it's cooler. Both ways work. Just have some nice absorbent litter under the cage (changed 2x/week), and indoors is no problem. Rabbits can also be easily litter trained, just like a cat. If you let them walk around inside, you just have to keep cords and chewable wooden things away from them! Smile

bluebird

Post Tue, Sep 11 2012, 10:40 pm
Cats are predators and rabbits are prey. Yes, cats can and have taken down full-grown rabbits. You might get lucky and they might get along, but I would never ever ever trust them together. Cats are also likely to jump at/on the cage, frightening the rabbits and exposing them to the risk of being scratched through the cage bars or at the cats' mercy if the cage collapses.

I adore cats, but am realistic about them even though everybody has a story of how their cat and their rabbit are best friends. I wouldn't do it; it would be too much hassle to keep them apart and enjoy them all.

alpidarkomama

Post Tue, Sep 11 2012, 11:23 pm
I've had both cats and rabbits since 1992. I've just never had a problem at all introducing them to each other, and I don't personally know anyone who has experienced a disaster with regard to this, though I do know others who have been successful. And the usual rabbit cage is pretty sturdy and not likely to collapse (?). I really think the odds are much, much more in favor of it working out than not.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets