Home

Challah dough rising bowl

Report offensive ad

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

rotsjr

Post  Thu, Sep 13 2012, 1:36 pm
where can I buy those silver round wide bowls that my challah dough can rise in or any bowl that will do the job right!!!

imabima

Post  Thu, Sep 13 2012, 1:38 pm
IKEA has an awesome challah bowl, big enough for at least 5 lbs of flour, for $15.

Faigy86

Post  Thu, Sep 13 2012, 1:46 pm
Your local dollar store Smile
They usually have very large colorful plastic bowls that are just the right size.

Barbara

Post  Thu, Sep 13 2012, 1:53 pm
rotsjr wrote:
where can I buy those silver round wide bowls that my challah dough can rise in or any bowl that will do the job right!!!

My recipe says use metal or glass, and I believe it. I use a large Pyrex bowl, available anywhere that housewares are sold.

Faigy86

Post  Thu, Sep 13 2012, 1:56 pm
Barbara wrote:

My recipe says use metal or glass, and I believe it. I use a large Pyrex bowl, available anywhere that housewares are sold.

Do you know why? That is interesting - you think it effects the taste or the way it rises?

BlueEyes125

Post  Sat, Oct 06 2012, 5:44 pm
Metal and glass clean excellently; plastic often gets scratches and can get things stuck in them. Also, another bonus of metal and glass is that you can put them in the oven without worrying. You can also use a regular pot, if you want something with a cover.

That being said-- I use plastic usually.

Inspired

Post  Sat, Oct 06 2012, 6:20 pm
ITA on the Ikea bowl!

Zus

Post  Sat, Oct 06 2012, 6:44 pm
What's the bowl called?

sim

Post  Sat, Oct 06 2012, 10:03 pm
I own a stainless bowl, but I recently got converted to -- of all things -- a (clean, fresh) trash bag. You put the dough ball in, and loosely close the top, and the dough rises beautifully. My friend recommended it when I complimented her on her challah, and I think she's got something there.

ROFL

Post  Sat, Oct 06 2012, 10:26 pm
I got my bowls in bed. Bath and beyond
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.co.....U=14567372

zaq

Post  Sat, Oct 06 2012, 10:33 pm
SIM__PLEASE CEASE AND DESIST IMMEDIATELY! Never use for food purposes plastic bags that are not sold specifically for food. They can leach toxic compounds into food, and bags sold as trash bags may even be treated with pesticides or pest-repellent chemicals.

Those silver bowls are just plain stainless steel mixing bowls, made mostly in China or India and available in many cheapie stores. especially in Chinatown. There's nothing magic or special about them other than that they're inexpensive, unbreakable, and light, so a bowl large enough for 5 lbs. of flour will break neither the bank nor your back, which is not true for glass or ceramic, and they can be kashered, which is not true for ceramic or plastic. Unlike glass, ceramic or plastic, they also make awesome dinner gongs.

israel22

Post  Sun, Oct 07 2012, 6:16 am
I dunno I use a regular plastic bowl and my challah comes out fine every time

zaq

Post  Sun, Oct 07 2012, 7:01 am
israel22 wrote:
I dunno I use a regular plastic bowl and my challah comes out fine every time

Me, too, though I have to use full-strength dishwash detergent to degrease it afterwards. Stainless doesn't hold on to the grease the same way.
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h