Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Overcooked roast, help

sscamv5

Post Wed, Sep 26 2012, 10:40 pm
I cooked my roast for to long. it came out very dry... was supposed to be for yomtov, what can I do so I can still serve it?

EricasEats

Post Wed, Sep 26 2012, 10:51 pm
When I want to extend the life of my roast, but can't just bring it out again because it is already over cooked Wink I slice it as thin as I can and use it as a stir fry. I slice celery, carrots, water chestnuts (from a can), mushrooms and onions and pan fry them in just a bit of oil, then I add teriaki sauce and let it cook for a bit and then my sliced roast. My family loves it. Serve it with plain rice. You can even bring out soft tortilla shells and make a "taco" bar with the sliced meat. Kind of Chinese and Mexican all in one!

sscamv5

Post Thu, Sep 27 2012, 8:23 am
sounds good for during the week, I'm trying to use it for yomtov.

CatLady

Post Thu, Sep 27 2012, 8:34 am
If you simmer it in some kind of sauce and then shred it with two forks, it will make the meat nice and moist again. For the sauce, you can use any tomato-y product, even marinara from a jar, but add a lot of garlic, some sliced onions and green peppers and a good dash of cumin. It can be served on onion rolls as a sandwich, in soft tacos, or over rice or soft polenta. If you're doing rice, throw in a can of black beans, drained and rinsed, chopped cilantro and the zest and juice of a lime. If you're serving polenta, then add in a handful of frozen corn kernels, chopped cilantro and a red pepper, diced. This is called Ropa Vieja, it's a Cuban recipe that I saw on the Food Network, and my RH crowds enjoyed it both nights.

Liba

Post Thu, Sep 27 2012, 8:47 am
Slice it, cover with sauce and cook for another 45minutes to an hour. Smile Most roasts get moist again if they are cooked long enough with a good sauce.

CherryBerry

Post Thu, Sep 27 2012, 11:21 am
I made a roast, and even though I was careful to check on it often so it shouldnt get overcooked, it managed somehow to get overcooked on the sides, though it was good in the center.
after feeling upset, I decided to toss the leftovers into the cholent for shabbos.
after cooking all night in the cholent I was surprised that the meat came out so soft and tender, and really delicious.

sscamv5

Post Thu, Sep 27 2012, 9:28 pm
thanks for the delicious ideas. a few people told me to warm it up with wine, or to add sauted onions to it and shredd it and make a wrap with sauted veg. everything sounds good I haven't decided yet what I'll end up doing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics