Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Toddler making brachos

irrationalrose

Post Mon, Oct 22 2012, 7:32 pm
My 2yr old hears his Abba davening and making brachos and likes to copy him - problem, he uses Hashem's name when he "davens like Abba".

How would you explain to a 2 yr old the concept of using Hashem's name in vain?

seeker

Post Mon, Oct 22 2012, 8:30 pm
I would just congratulate him on davening like Abba and ignore the part about Hashem's name for now. He gets a pass for being only 2!

LiLIsraeli

Post Mon, Oct 22 2012, 8:59 pm
I wouldn't - I would just encourage the making brachos and let the rest come when he's older.

gp2.0

Post Mon, Oct 22 2012, 9:01 pm
Actually I believe the halacha is that when teaching kids brachos you are allowed to say hashem's name for chinuch purposes. The sin of saying hashem's name in vain does not apply here - he is practicing! I agree, congratulate and praise him and do NOT discourage him. He can daven all day long. The prayers of a child are worth a lot. Did you know that as soon as a child answers amen to a bracha, they have earned a share in the world to come?

de_goldy

Post Mon, Oct 22 2012, 9:33 pm
You are actually not supposed to teach children to say brachos with "hashem" instead of the real name because of chinuch. So say nothing!

persephonefalls

Post Mon, Oct 22 2012, 11:09 pm
At this point, he's not using Hashem's name in vain--he's learning how to daven, how to make brachot! It's totally appropriate for him to daven like Abba.

In fact, our rabbi told us that when my daughter wants to make brachot (she often asks us to make them for her) we can and should make a bracha with Hashem's name, even if we're not eating or drinking or whatever, because it's chinuch, and this is how she learns.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers