Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Magna Tiles vs Megabloks/LegoDuplo for 3.5 year old

justmarried

Post Tue, Nov 20 2012, 4:40 pm
I want to buy my son an exciting toy for Chanukah that can keep him very busy and last for a while. I have a tiny set of large lego pieces and was thinking of buying a big bucket and eventually some more things to go with it. But I keep hearing from people how amazing magna tiles are. I can only afford one - which one is better?

justmarried

Post Tue, Nov 20 2012, 8:37 pm
anyone?

987gold

Post Tue, Nov 20 2012, 8:46 pm
My 4 year old and almost 6 year old play with the megablocks like every Shabbos morning. It is a great toy. My one year old likes it too. I hear magnatiles is great and my kids will be getting it for chanuka this year. You can't compare prices thought. Mega blocks are in amazing savings for fairly inexpensive and magna tiles is $130. It really depends on your budget. All my friends with magna tiles love it! It is made strong and will last.

canadamom

Post Tue, Nov 20 2012, 8:47 pm
magna tiles is an amazing toy, my 3.5 year old loves it. however I only have the smaller size set (like 45 pieces) because it is very expensive. whereas megablocks I have a lot of, and my son plays with it constantly. I think with the magnets, its only fun if you have a lot.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Tue, Nov 20 2012, 8:47 pm
If you live in Baltimore, I have a MASSIVE bucket of Lego duplos that you can borrow for a few weeks to see how he likes them!

amother

Post Tue, Nov 20 2012, 9:17 pm
I'm a preschool teacher. We have 2 big sets of Magna Tiles. Last year my students loved it, and were able to play w/ it for a long time! But this year my students are just busy stacking them up in piles, and crying that someone else has a bigger pile. They play much nicer with the legos. I'm thinking of hiding the Magna Tiles for a few weeks and then try again.
Maybe if it's only 1 or 2 kids there won't be any fighting and they'll love it like my last yr students.

imasinger

Post Tue, Nov 20 2012, 9:30 pm
I agree that it's a big difference in price. Our magnatiles get much more use than the legos, but both are good, and legos are a whole lot cheaper.

seeker

Post Tue, Nov 20 2012, 9:34 pm
Megablocks is much much more bang for your buck and plenty of fun for the kids. I think magnatiles are great too but not enough for me to understand all that hype over such an expensive toy.

sky

Post Tue, Nov 20 2012, 9:43 pm
I have magna tiles now over 2 years - it is my most played with toy. Everyone from my 1 year old to my 6 1/2 year old love it. Money wise it was my best investment. But you do need a lot to keep it fun. I have 200 pieces and it is enough for 3 kids to be busy with.

Megablocks are a fun toy. If you want to make it more exciting you can buy a mega blocks table, car, or other toy for more interactive play. But once you have one type don't buy the other. I have both mega blocks and Lego duplo and its such a waste - and a pain when the 2 get mixed together.

zigi

Post Tue, Nov 20 2012, 10:01 pm
I have a bag of megablocks the same size as duplo, my kids seem to make the same shape out of both the duplo and magna blocks. even though I have a few sets of duplo fire station and farm, the older kids do build with the sets. 5-8 year olds. my 4 year old builds a long thin brick. my older kids 5-8 year olds really liked the magna tiles that my friend has. my 2 year old also enjoyed collapsing what I made. her son who is 4 plays a lot with it.

my kids also like zoob. 25$ for 125 pieces.

its on my list of toys that I am saving up for
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers