Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Deli roll

sleepwalking

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 6:54 am
Can anyone give me a good recipe for that?

I made one a few years ago I took a puff pastry smeared (is that even a word?) mustard and added slices cold cuts. I came out very very thick and completely raw Puke Puke.

theprocastinator

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 8:01 am
http://www.ou.org/shabbat_shal....._roll

I use this recipe. I mix equal parts deli mustard, mayonnaise and honey.

sleepwalking

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 8:14 am
Thank you, but do you roll it out very thin or do you leave it like this?

yOungM0mmy

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 8:26 am
I started using phyllo pastry - less fattening (spray in between layers with spray oil instead of brushing melted margarine) and easier to cook through. 4-5 layers phyllo pastry, spiced mustard, cold meat, fried onions, roll and bake 45 minutes.

theprocastinator

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 8:30 am
I flatten the dough a bit with my hands. You don't want it too thin or it will break when you roll it.

If it doesn't look ready after 45 mts, leave it in the oven for an extra 10-15 mts.

Maybe there was something wrong with the pastry dough when you made it the first time? Follow the package directions for defrosting.

sleepwalking

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 8:32 am
yOungM0mmy wrote:
I started using phyllo pastry - less fattening (spray in between layers with spray oil instead of brushing melted margarine) and easier to cook through. 4-5 layers phyllo pastry, spiced mustard, cold meat, fried onions, roll and bake 45 minutes.

Can you send me a picture of the phyllo pastry? I've never heard of such a thing and I want to see if it's available here (I'm not from the US)

sleepwalking

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 8:33 am
theprocastinator wrote:
I flatten the dough a bit with my hands. You don't want it too thin or it will break when you roll it.

If it doesn't look ready after 45 mts, leave it in the oven for an extra 10-15 mts.

Maybe there was something wrong with the pastry dough when you made it the first time? Follow the package directions for defrosting.

When I unfold the dough it's very very thick!!

yOungM0mmy

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 8:54 am
http://allrecipes.com/cook/nob.....15327

this recipe uses it, and shows a picture - it's very thin, pretty dry, sheets of dough, used for baklava, cigars, appetisers, etc.

chayal

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 8:56 am
You have to roll out the dough real thin, and no it won't tear when rolling from my experience if you put some flour on surface before...

I mix mustard and duck sauce, smear onto thinly rolled out flaky dough, Lay out salami and corn beef and roll it up. Smear duck sauce and sesame seeds on top

hycup

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 8:58 am
I don't use mustard as the basis. I use tomato paste. Sometimes I'll add mustard. I'll also sometimes add mashed potatoes. If using the thick puff pastry cook in the oven 350F/180C for 50 min to an hour.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 8:59 am
You can also do individual deli rolls with small squares of dough. I find it cooks through more fully that way. Bake it on a parchment-lined cookie sheet at 400 so it shouldn't get soggy and doughy.

chayal

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 8:59 am
Also, I bake it really long until its real dark so the insides should fosure not stay raw

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 9:04 am
I bake it covered for about 45 minutes. Them I uncover until it is a golden brown. I put an egg wash on the finished dough and sprinkle sesame seeds.

For variation, I roll the dough very thin. I put mustard and then a layer of mash potatoes with fried onions. To make it fancier, I use corn beef, roast beef and turkey roll.

For my kids, I make it very plain with just turkey and mustard.

sleepwalking

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 9:12 am
Thank you all for your ideas!!! a few questions:

Does duck sauce really make a difference ( I don't like it and don't use it and don't want to buy it just for that)
How do you eat it? warm, hot, or cold?

chayal

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 9:55 am
We eat it straight out of the oven... If saving it for Friday night meal - I put on blech - uncovered, but away from flame, just to keep it a little warm

shiffycc

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 11:16 am
I use mustard and horsraddish sauce(like webbers or gefen) , then salami and smoked turkey. (Dh wont let me "waste" corned beef in it). Then I put egg wash and sesame seeds on top. And yes, I do roll it out or streach it out.
it needs to be warm or the puff pastry will be gross.

sleepwalking

Post Tue, Dec 25 2012, 3:34 pm
Just wanted to say that I made it tonight and it was a huge hit!!! Thank you!!!

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Dec 25 2012, 4:30 pm
I make a deli ring instead - I cut about 3/4 of the way and about an inch wide... this way I don't have to bake it very long so that the inside dough gets cooked.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Dec 25 2012, 4:52 pm
YESHA, that looks great!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics