Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Which shot? When? (need to make a quick decision!)

seeker

Post Sun, Dec 23 2012, 12:40 pm
I'm not posting this in the safe haven because it's not exactly NP, I'm looking for a more balanced view, so I'm trusting y'all to stay respectful here.

I am a partial/delayed/on-the-fence vaccinator. I do believe for the most part vaccines are safe enough to be worth the protection, but I also feel that they should be handled cautiously, not given too many at once, not younger than necessary, and try to research each thing you give. I did a lot of research before DD#1 was born because I was on bedrest and had all the time in the world. This time B"H no bedrest plus toddler - no time to research, I meant to read the updated Dr. Sears book because I found the original very helpful the first time around, but I didn't get around to it. What I did for DD#1 was gave her the Pentacel at 2 months because I felt that the vaccines included (Dtap, Hib, Polio) were some of the most important for a little baby while carrying the least risk (because Pentacel only has one shot of the side ingredients such as aluminum, as opposed to getting it again each time with separate shots; also these particular vaccines have less risk of side effects than, say, MMR) then Prevnar a month later, then after seeing she had no reaction to either, gave them both at once for the next 2 doses. Hep B I postponed altogether until she's older, maybe approaching puberty. MMR I've delayed for now but plan to give when she starts going to school and has more chance to be exposed (not sure yet whether to give before preschool or wait until kindergarten when you can get by with just one dose) Rotavirus we skipped due to negligence embarrassed by the time I got to reading up on stuff it was too late to give that one so I never looked into it properly. No flu shot as of yet.

So not having done any more recent homework since then, I was thinking along the same lines for DD#2. But when I came for the 2-month checkup, they said there's a shortage of Pentacel and they don't have any and not sure when they'll have more, most people were taking Pediarix (?) which includes HepB but not Hib (which is one of the ones I think is important). So instead I had them give her the Prevnar which I'd given separately from the others anyway, and decided to go home and do more research into the options.

Then just now they called and said they have 3 doses of Pentacel availabe, do I want to come in. I told them to hold one for me and made an appointment for later.
1. I'm a drop uneasy because she just had a shot two days ago, on Friday. She didn't have any side effects that I can see so far but still, I like the idea of her system cleaning out from whatever junk was in there before doing the next one. But I don't know if they'll still have it in a week or a month or whatever.
2. I wonder what happens if I have them give it to her and then they don't have any when it's time for her second or third dose?
3. Anyone else looked into this and has an opinion on Pentacel or the others?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics