Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Chris tmas, Chinese food and Jews Outside the USA
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

rachel91

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 5:23 am
smilingmom wrote:
How about this Purim Xmas picture.
If you Israelis would have some Xmas symbolism, this faux pas would have been prevented.

http://www.frumsatire.net/wp-c.....1.jpg

I saw it on fb today

ora_43

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 6:06 am
smilingmom wrote:
If you Israelis would have some Xmas symbolism, this faux pas would have been prevented.

If you Americans wouldn't have Xmas symbolism, it wouldn't have been a faux pas. Confused

smilingmom

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 6:10 am
ora_43 wrote:
smilingmom wrote:

If you Americans wouldn't have Xmas symbolism, it wouldn't have been a faux pas. Confused

You always best me. Lol

saw50st8

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 6:18 am
ora_43 wrote:
smilingmom wrote:

But then the costumes wouldn't have been sold at all!

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 8:22 am
bamamama wrote:
smilingmom wrote:
Lighten up people or you will find coal in your stockings.

Santa Bamamama is making a list and checking it twice...

Hey, when are you coming to town?

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 8:24 am
shalhevet wrote:
I find it pretty disturbing that frum Jews would do anything to mark a day celebrating something which has led to the murder and suffering of millions of Jews over the centuries.

It is sobering. We live an age where we can trade chumra jokes, laugh at GCFL and gentiles laughing at themselves (today's offering, what to do with a fruitcake). Yet a few weeks ago Rabbi Shmuel Bloom commented in Yated that there is a concept of lighting menorah inside because of sakana, and how we can't forget we're in galus.

So I think we can be grateful for living in this age, and yes, take advantage of the sales too, but not lose sight of our historical realities and that things can turn on a dime.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 9:48 am
How can we talk about jews and xmas without posting..... this Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

moonstone

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 11:22 am
DrMom wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
I find it pretty disturbing that frum Jews would do anything to mark a day celebrating something which has led to the murder and suffering of millions of Jews over the centuries.

Lighten up!

Jews are not "celebrating x-mas" by going out for Chinese food and a movie.

It's more like: We have the day off for a random holiday we don't celebrate. Let's finds something fun to do with our day off other than sit home and watch the Yule Log on TV."

Since most businesses -- other than Chinese restaurants and movie theaters -- are closed, this became the default activity.

So you go out to Hu Wang Palace -- and find that it's packed with Jews! Chinese restaurants became sort of a "religious expatriate" hangout on xmas day for Jews (at least those who didn't keep kosher). It evolved into a great way to get together with other Jewish folks.

Kind of like the "Matzah Ball" Jewish singles events held on xmas eve. They don't "celebrate xmas" any more than Chinese+movie celebratres xmas. They just take advantage of the fact that it's a day off and we Jews have nothing to celebrate on that day, and almost everything else is closed, so let's do something fun together with other yidden in the same situation!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.....vents

I was surprised to see that this thread was 5 pages long- and now I see it's because some people are upset that Jews eat Chinese and watch movies on x-mas! Seriously? Some of you really need to lighten up. It's just something people do for fun, they aren't "celebrating" the birth of you-know-who.

aleza

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 11:31 am
saw50st8 wrote:
shalhevet wrote:

x-mas was not always a holiday that was religious and about murdering Jews. No one in my town (or anywhere in the US that I aware of) is murdering anyone. In fact, most of the religious Christians I know complain that most of the country celebrates x-mas as a secular holiday, not a religious one.

I'm not celebrating x-mas. I'm celebrating my (much needed) day off. Every year I even volunteer to work on x-mas as the only observant Jew in the office. My boss is half (real) Jewish, so he still does x-mas with his family.

But, along with my pajama pants, I'll add it to reasons why others think I'm a bad Jew. Rolling Eyes

Yes, I too know religious Xtians who bemoan the secularization & commercialization of their holiday. And somehow I respect their religious observance of it more than the secular. It's similar to... how many Americans observe Memorial Day for the purpose it was created? Also, in the town I grew up in, synagogues & other Jewish organizations would organize volunteers to man the phones and do other jobs for places that needed 24-hour coverage so their regulars could spend their holiday at home. I thought that was pretty cool. Lastly, before I was frum, but still back then annoyed at Xmas-overload, I complained to a non-Jewish friend about it. She said, 'yeah but all the Jews are making profits from it!'... she meant all the retailers of course.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 11:39 am
DrMom wrote:
Are you saying that only Orthodox Jews can create customs and traditions?

Minhagim come from the Torah and our traditions. You can create a hanhaga, a behaviour or action, but not an actual torah Minhag.

shalhevet

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 11:53 am
moonstone wrote:
DrMom wrote:
shalhevet wrote:

Lighten up!

It's more like: We have the day off for a random holiday we don't celebrate. Let's finds something fun to do with our day off other than sit home and watch the Yule Log on TV."

Since most businesses -- other than Chinese restaurants and movie theaters -- are closed, this became the default activity.

So you go out to Hu Wang Palace -- and find that it's packed with Jews! Chinese restaurants became sort of a "religious expatriate" hangout on xmas day for Jews (at least those who didn't keep kosher). It evolved into a great way to get together with other Jewish folks.

Kind of like the "Matzah Ball" Jewish singles events held on xmas eve. They don't "celebrate xmas" any more than Chinese+movie celebratres xmas. They just take advantage of the fact that it's a day off and we Jews have nothing to celebrate on that day, and almost everything else is closed, so let's do something fun together with other yidden in the same situation!

I was surprised to see that this thread was 5 pages long- and now I see it's because some people are upset that Jews eat Chinese and watch movies on x-mas! Seriously? Some of you really need to lighten up. It's just something people do for fun, they aren't "celebrating" the birth of you-know-who.

I never said Jews were celebrating. I used the word mark. By doing something special because it's such and such a date on the secular calendar, you are marking the day. A day which has been the source of 2000 years of terrible Jewish suffering. Do we not have any national pride or conscience?

I don't see why any secular date should be a reason to have fun. If a Jewish man doesn't need to go to work, he should be learning Torah. I grew up in a MO home and we never did anything 'fun' for Xmas. We had the day off - so we just did round the house type things - maybe sorting out our rooms or doing odd jobs or other things that needed doing and we didn't usually have time for. It is just inappropriate to be marking/ celebrating/ setting a family tradition/ having a fun time on a day which celebrates suffering for the Jewish people and avoda zara.

Apart from which I can't join your minhag since I don't watch movies all year and I believe that includes Xmas.

DrMom

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 12:09 pm
shalhevet wrote:
moonstone wrote:
DrMom wrote:
shalhevet wrote:

Lighten up!

I never said Jews were celebrating. I used the word mark. By doing something special because it's such and such a date on the secular calendar, you are marking the day. A day which has been the source of 2000 years of terrible Jewish suffering. Do we not have any national pride or conscience?

I don't see why any secular date should be a reason to have fun. If a Jewish man doesn't need to go to work, he should be learning Torah. I grew up in a MO home and we never did anything 'fun' for Xmas. We had the day off - so we just did round the house type things - maybe sorting out our rooms or doing odd jobs or other things that needed doing and we didn't usually have time for. It is just inappropriate to be marking/ celebrating/ setting a family tradition/ having a fun time on a day which celebrates suffering for the Jewish people and avoda zara.

Apart from which I can't join your minhag since I don't watch movies all year and I believe that includes Xmas.

Because we have a vacation day, whether we like it or not.

As for your statement that a Jewish man should study Torah on his day off: Can't families go out and have fun together, or is that against Torah in your worldview?

Also, why should I (if I were living in the US) davka not have fun just because it's a non jewish holiday? Why should that even be a factor in deciding what I do? It's not bad enough I can't get any errands done because every store I need to visit is closed, now I can't even have any fun -- just because some non-Jews randomly decided their god-head or whatever was born on that day?

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 12:16 pm
DrMom wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
moonstone wrote:
DrMom wrote:
shalhevet wrote:

Lighten up!

As for your statement that a Jewish man should study Torah on his day off: Can't families go out and have fun together, or is that against Torah in your worldview?

Also, why should I (if I were living in the US) davka not have fun just because it's a non jewish holiday? Why should that even be a factor in deciding what I do? It's not bad enough I can't get any errands done because every store I need to visit is closed, now I can't even have any fun -- just because some non-Jews randomly decided their god-head or whatever was born on that day?

Ah, but if the only places that are open are restaurants and theaters.... Tongue Out
I really do see both sides. I'm not going to be Scroogey here and tell you guys not to have fun (Hey, you know Santa's nationality? North Polish Dancing ); maybe some of us should start a new thread.
Interesting that my daily email from one of the kosher blogs was about....Chinese cooking. A few days late?...

cinnamon

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 12:23 pm
DrMom wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
moonstone wrote:
DrMom wrote:
shalhevet wrote:

Lighten up!

ITA
As a working mom I use any and every day off I get to have fun with my family and create good memories for my kids.
Thats why I take my kids out on yom haatzmaut and why I am planning to do something fun with them on election day.

saw50st8

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 12:36 pm
Shalhevet, why do you assume its EITHER have fun OR learn Torah? This is a very unfortunate attitude. Both are good for the soul.

Many of our local shuls have extra learning programs. Most of the kids around here still have Judaic studies.

imamiri

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 12:58 pm
shalhevet wrote:
moonstone wrote:
DrMom wrote:
shalhevet wrote:

Lighten up!

I mark several secular dates like July 4th in the US and July 1st in Canada. And Veterans Day in the US. And on the first two I do celebrate. And I guess you could say I am marking today too because I'm going out to take advantage of the sales and hopefully find a new camera lens.

And don't even talk about AZ when there are frum Jews who post here panicked because they lost their red string bracelet.

Last edited by imamiri on Wed, Dec 26 2012, 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

imamiri

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 12:59 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
How can we talk about jews and xmas without posting..... this Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Mama Bear who made that video?

saw50st8

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 1:03 pm
Never mind that there are factions of Jews who purposely play chess and DON'T learn Torah on x-mas...

Lati

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 1:08 pm
my kids are thrilled to have day off from school (we go public) so we celebrate that and do a "family togetherness day" since in our calendar, this random day in the middle of december is just such a strange day to have free. we can take it and strengthen our jewish family.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 2:00 pm
Imamiri I have no idea... it's circulatng on FB and youtube.
Page 5 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics