Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Iso NOT sweet roast recipe

mommee

Post Thu, Jan 03 2013, 9:44 am
Can be for any type of roast. I've noticed that an overwhelming majority if recipes are with a sweet sauce. Does anyone have a non sweet/savory roast recipe?
Thanks.

Dini20

Post Thu, Jan 03 2013, 9:47 am
I make an herb crusted standing rib which has fresh bread crumbs & herbs, a horseradish crusted standing rib, I have a stovetop roast (I use square cut) with just diff herbs & spices. Let me know if you want any of these.

mommee

Post Thu, Jan 03 2013, 9:51 am
Thanks dini. Do those roasts come out soft? The horseradish crusted one sounds good,mif you wouldn't mind sharing it, thanks.

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Jan 03 2013, 11:34 am
My family and I also don't like sweet-tasting meat. The recipes really depend on what cut of roast you're using.

If you're using expensive cut where you can dry roast, you can use either of the rubs. Scatter sliced onions/chopped celery stalks and carrots, place meat with the fat side on the top (so onions work like a kind of trivet). Stick a meat thermometer in the centre of the meat and cover the rest of meat with double foil. I start with medium high oven (180C) for about 30min (alternatively you can brown the meat to sear the surface to minimise shrinkage/loss of juice), then lower to 150-160C till the thermometer reads the desired temperature. Let cool for at least 30min, then slice.

Rub #1: 1tbsp onion soup mix, 2tbsp grainy mustard or english mustard
Rub #2: mix salt, paprika, pepper, cumin, allspice or nutmeg, cinnamon, crushed dried mint leaf (optional)
Rub #3: 5 cloves of garlic (peeled), 1tbsp paprika, 1 teasp heapful salt, 2tbsp vegetable oil. Crush in a mortar or a food processor. It smells very strong but once cooked it mellows beautifully.

#2 and #3 are good rubs to use on lamb and chicken. I usually make a big batch, keep #2 in a jar, and #3 in freezer.

If you're using cheaper cuts that need to be braised, I first coat the meat with seasoned flour (salt, pepper, flour) and sear in a skillet. Sautee 2-3 roughly chopped onions in the same skillet. In a heavy oven proof casserole,

1) layer onions under and over the meat. Pour 1 cup dry red wine (cheap or old one is ok), 2tbsp soy sauce, 2 tbp balsamic vinegar (optional). Vinegar softens the meat and mellows the flavour.

2) sprinkle meat generously with italian herbs. Layer onions under and over the meat. Pour 1 cup dry white wine.

Bake tightly covered nice and sloooow. I sometimes cook 4-6hours depending on the size of the meat at 140C, and it comes out very tender. You can drain the juice, chill in the fridge and skim off fat. Then blend with the onions for yummy gravy.

chaya35

Post Thu, Jan 03 2013, 11:41 am
For minute steak roast or french roast I saute an onion and garlic. Add chopped tomatoes or grated carrots and saute. Add meat. Add salt in middle of cooking and cook for around 2 1/2 hours.

suzyq

Post Thu, Jan 03 2013, 11:42 am
I do an overnight roast. I lay out some aluminum foil and then cut up several onions and lay half of them on the foil. Then the roast on the onions. Sprinkle some onion soup mix and the rest of the onions on top. Then wrap up tightly with the foil (this is important because it keeps the juices in). I usually then put it in a pan because some juice will spill. Then I put it in the oven at 200 degrees for at least 8 hours. Delish!

mommee

Post Thu, Jan 03 2013, 12:46 pm
Thanks for all the great ideas.
Mrs bissli, what's considered expensive vs cheap? What would work on a French roast? A brisket? A London broil?

mha3484

Post Thu, Jan 03 2013, 12:54 pm
I made this for sukkos and it was excellent. Not sweet at all.
http://www.realsimple.com/m/fo......html

spring13

Post Thu, Jan 03 2013, 1:03 pm
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/j......aspx

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/f......aspx

Basically, anything with red wine and shallots is good. I hate it when kosher cookbooks have 12 recipes for meat/chicken with duck sauce or jam and maybe 2 that aren't super sweet. I rarely like sweet meat or chicken!

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Jan 03 2013, 1:45 pm
I'm not familiar with US names of individual cuts. (No, butchers here do not sell London broil! and I've never heard of French roast. Is it a Rib? Bola? )
Best if you ask the butcher. The kind you can dry roast is prime rib, maybe prime bola. Brisket definitely needs slow braising with enough liquid for a long time.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jan 03 2013, 2:14 pm
Moroccan Roast Beef

1 Roast (get a cheap cut and cook it slow)
1 can of chopped tomatoes
12 green olives (or more) cut in half
A couple sprigs of fresh rosemary (dry is not so good)
Garlic to taste

Roast in slow cooker or oven until tender, and serve over rice. I like Persian rice for this, but white rice will work fine.

This is great for Shabbos, because the flavor is even better the next day. It freezes beautifully, and makes good leftovers.

mommee

Post Sat, Jan 05 2013, 11:22 pm
Just wanted to update and say thanks for all the great ideas. This shabbos I bought a 4 lb french roast and cooked it using one of mrs bissli's suggestions. I had a bed of onions underneath, then the roast. I poured about 1.5 cups of dry red wine, 2T each of soy sauce and balsamic vinegar over it and put more sliced onions on top. I sealed it very well (tons and tons of tinfoil around the pan) and baked it at 325 for 4 hours. The meat was melt-in-your-mouth good. So good. Hardly any left. And the onions were heavenly too. Thanks for all the suggestions and I'm looking forward to trying out others in the future.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sat, Jan 05 2013, 11:24 pm
Sounds great. A pressure cooker will get you that, faster, at 15 or 20 minutes, at full presssure, per pound. The spice Cumin will give you an interesting taste that is not at all sweet. A few good shakes of Chili Powder will be nice also.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics