Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
LAST

amother

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 9:54 am
Im taking the LAST state test and I want to know more about it. Is it very hard? How did u study? What types of questions do they ask?TIA

Runner18

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 10:15 am
It wasn't the kind of test where I walked out feeling amazing, but it was very doable.

You need to be able to write a strong essay, so if that's something you struggle with you might wanna talk to someone about essay basics-- intro, body, conclusion, etc. The topic on mine was something like "do you think high school students should be required to do community service in order to graduate?". A friend of mine had "Do you think there should be a compulsory national service for all American students after they graduate?"

amother

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 10:24 am
I am taking it too! Besides the essay, what kinds of questions are on there?

seeker

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 10:32 am
It's been a number of years for me so I don't know if anything changed, but I wouldn't stress over it because it's just a pass/fail, nobody ever looks at the actual score after that, and the standards for passing aren't terribly high imho. If you passed the Regents you will probably pass this too without much effort.

cuties' mom

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 11:02 am
I took it ten years ago, but dh took it recently and passed. We both used a library book to study. Its a review of all the subjects, so just study your weakest subjects. The library has lots of study guides.

octopus

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 11:03 am
most of the questions are reading comprehension questions. I did not study at all. passed with an almost perfect score.

miami85

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 1:19 pm
The way I describe the 3 tests involved in the NYTCE series is:
LAST: are you well rounded enough to be a teacher
CST-MS: what do you know about teaching xyz
ATSW: what do you know about teaching and classroom management

Thus the LAST wants to see your general knowledge of basis. I will agree with poster who said that you dont feel great about it but pass anyway. really great for teachers, no?

I used Barron's book, and did just fine.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 9:09 am
So I shouldn't worry so much? And if I just do some practice tests ill be ok? It's pass or fail? What's considered passing? Thanks for all the responses I'm pretty nervous about it.

miami85

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 9:34 am
I wouldnt get so stressed out if you are a moderately good student and native English speaker. I passed mine while dealing with a scratched cornea--could barely see, my eye was killing me, running like crazy--happened as I was getting ready for bed, so I hardly slept that night. The only people I've heard of not passing are people who themselves have learning issues, had trouble with the essay, or not native English speakers. I had all those issues, still finished in 2 hrs, reading each question 3 times, and going back over it again. Hatzlacha. Passing is 220 on a 100-300 scale--VERY doable.

nyer1

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 10:01 am
Not trying to be snobby by saying that I didn't study and did very well. Don't worry

amother

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 6:24 pm
amother wrote:
So I shouldn't worry so much? And if I just do some practice tests ill be ok? It's pass or fail? What's considered passing? Thanks for all the responses I'm pretty nervous about it.

No you should not worry. As others said it's a basic test. I did some practice tests but not really sure they even helped me. The essay, you just have to choose a stance and go with it, even if you don't really believe in it.
good luck.

If you also have to take the ATSW, than I would say you should study a bit harder.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 6:28 pm
I just remembered, they will have some questions that will throw you for a loop, like a picture of a painting, and they will ask what time period is this from? renessaince, victorian, etc... I don't know about you, but I did not remember anything about that stuff, although I know I learned it in school sometime.
But other than some questions like that, it really wasn't too bad and I finished way ahead of the scheduled time.
Just curious are you taking paper or computer test?

amother

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 7:09 pm
Im taking the computer tests and yes I have to take the others ones too. Ill probably start another thread when I register for it Wink
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics