Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Baking with a 3-year-old - recipes/techniques?

spring13

Post Thu, Jan 24 2013, 5:01 pm
DD has been busy in the kitchen with me since she was old enough to stand on a chair with a wooden spoon. She loves to help cook and bake. But we're getting a bit bored of our usual stuff. We make a lot of muffins and cookies (she loves using cutters and give things a shape in general). Today we made turtle bread. Any other ideas on fun things to do in the kitchen? Pudding would be cool, but she's still way too little to be near the hot stove.

granolamom

Post Thu, Jan 24 2013, 9:38 pm
you can make instant pudding, no stove required. its not as good, but a three yo can help you make it.
you can also make rice crispie treats (you do the heating and then she can mix in the rice crispies)

MimiMommy

Post Thu, Jan 24 2013, 9:40 pm
Challah? My kids love mushing the dough around and making their own "rolls". Also she can help you sprinkle spices onto things. I wish I had as much patience as you do to bake with kids - sometimes it just turns into a shouting and control match.

MamaBear

Post Thu, Jan 24 2013, 10:06 pm
Look here
http://www.sproutonline.com/cr.....cipes

granolamom

Post Thu, Jan 24 2013, 10:17 pm
another thing I do, I give my 3 yo a bowlful of random ingredients to pour and mix while I do the real cooking in another bowl. sometimes I dont have patience for 'help'

AlwaysGrateful

Post Fri, Jan 25 2013, 9:53 am
Why do they all have to be snack-type things? My kids love using the food processor and the mixer -- so zuchini latkas and carrot kugel are always winners. You can let them form meatballs or hamburgers (if you're sure they won't put their hands in their mouths), let them make shake n' bake type of chicken, let them make homemade pizza with toppings, things like that.

Raisin

Post Fri, Jan 25 2013, 10:01 am
anything I happen to be making my daughter loves to help with. pizza, matza balls, challa, cookies...whatever is on the menu.

gp2.0

Post Fri, Jan 25 2013, 10:06 am
DD loves to help with recipes that need to be coated in egg or marinade and then dipped in flour or crumbs.

amother

Post Sat, Jan 26 2013, 8:25 pm
Wow I give you all a lot of credit! I'm usually just trying to get dinner done. How do you incorporate it in your day so that the kids can help and how do you control the mess? I would love to cook with the kids, I just can't seem to make it work.

granolamom

Post Sat, Jan 26 2013, 9:09 pm
amother wrote:
Wow I give you all a lot of credit! I'm usually just trying to get dinner done. How do you incorporate it in your day so that the kids can help and how do you control the mess? I would love to cook with the kids, I just can't seem to make it work.

I dont have a choice. my kids at that age do not leave me alone long enough to make dinner without them. its easier (not easy, just easier) to involve them so I can actually get something done.
and who said anything about controlling the mess? I clean up afterwards.
having kids is very inefficient Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers