Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
3 year old wants milk after meat

cheese cake

Post Mon, Feb 04 2013, 7:19 pm
Ds loves to drink milk, it's actually one of the only drinks he likes besides soda which is allowed only on Shabbos. He throws a huge tantrum every time I tell him he can't have a drink of milk after eating Fleishigs for supper. My question is, A: should I insist on him not drinking milk after meat even though he doesn't understand the concept yet and B: if so, what's the best way to explain it to him?

amother

Post Mon, Feb 04 2013, 7:29 pm
would he drink soy milk or almond milk?

cm

Post Mon, Feb 04 2013, 7:32 pm
He is so young. How about having him go into another room (the dining room if you are eating in the kitchen, or vice versa) to have his milk? Tell him "we don't have milk with meat, so let's leave the table."

Or, would he have milk first?

graphixmom

Post Mon, Feb 04 2013, 7:34 pm
my 3 year old, almost four year old understands alot about milchig and fleishig so I make him wait an hour after meat until he can drink milk. if your son really doesnt understand antyhing about it, im going to assume you can give into him, but I would ask your rav. at the age of three they do have a concept of understanding that they cant eat milchig and fleishig together etc.

cheese cake

Post Mon, Feb 04 2013, 7:37 pm
Op here: thanks for the responses. He's very picky and wouldn't like soy or almond milk, I've tried explaining it to him but he's unreasonable and insists on getting his milk. He likes to drink together with his supper so waiting a little wouldn't work. Maybe I would ask a rav or make him go away from the table and drink it

graphixmom

Post Mon, Feb 04 2013, 7:41 pm
he is young and I cant see why he cant drink it. definitely make him go away from the table and I think he should be fine..

gp2.0

Post Mon, Feb 04 2013, 8:47 pm
AFAIK halachically there's no problem with a kid that age eating milk after meat. Ask your rav for guidance.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers