Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Have you ever frozen your Challahs prior to baking?
1  2  Next

Mishie

Post Wed, Feb 07 2007, 7:00 am
I decided to try something different this Shabbos.

Today (wednesday) I made a large recipe for Challah Dough, let it rise for 2 hours, then I braided the Challahs, and put them on Cookie Sheets and into the freezer, when they get hard enough (in about an hour or so), I will wrap them individually, very well. and on Friday I'll take them out of the freezer in the morning, let them thaw out, and rise again, brush some egg and sprinkle with seeds and finally bake them.

What do y'all think?
I really hope they won't flop!!!

I want to bake them as close as possible to Shabbos. That's why I wanted to try this, as apposed to baking them all today and then freezing....

binah918

Post Wed, Feb 07 2007, 7:15 am
That's what I do...when I can get my act together enough to plan in advance! It'll work just fine! B'Tayavon!

suomynona

Post Wed, Feb 07 2007, 7:47 am
I once tried doing that and the dough never rose after defrosting so I never did it again.
I let the dough rise punched it down, and froze without braiding.

hadasa

Post Wed, Feb 07 2007, 7:50 am
I've done it, and it rose fine and tasted great.

lst

Post Wed, Feb 07 2007, 8:07 am
is rises fine, as its defrosting. I usually take it out first thing friday morning tho. they always taste fresh!

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 07 2007, 12:44 pm
If Kineret can do it - why can't you? Go for it!
As for the dough not rising - your yeast was probably no good - it happens every once in a while.

shanie5

Post Wed, Feb 07 2007, 1:04 pm
suomynona wrote:
I once tried doing that and the dough never rose after defrosting so I never did it again.
I let the dough rise punched it down, and froze without braiding.

try braidnig it first. it works all the time for me.

another option is to prep and braid on thurs eve and let rise overnight in the fridge. egg and bake in the morning.

mother48

Post Wed, Feb 07 2007, 5:04 pm
I also do this.

braid or make the sections and then freeze the dough in the pan raw(or a bag) and then when I want it, take it out, let it rise, longer then usual,cuz also has to thaw, and then bake fresh. delcious.

ChavieK

Post Wed, Feb 07 2007, 9:21 pm
Greenfire-I started doing this when some women were talking about it & that's exactly what they said! Apparently some recipies are better for freezing than others, don't know why. My family loves that the challah is baked an hour before shabbos.

Pickle Lady

Post Wed, Feb 07 2007, 9:52 pm
I also used too do it all the time. It came out so yummy no one knew it was dough that was frozen. I used the challah recipe from the kosher palette.

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 07 2007, 10:22 pm
I actually leave a bag of whole wheat dough in my fridge often. My d pulls off a piece and makes herself a fresh roll - this way she eats - feels healthy and I know she ain't starvin'.

Emuna

Post Wed, Feb 07 2007, 10:46 pm
Mishie I do something very similar except I freeze the dough in a ball because I never have time to braid, and also I find it hard to create space in the freezer for the cookie sheets. I let the dough rise, make bracha, take challah, then pound down the dough into a big ball and dfrost Friday morning. It ALWAYS rises perfectly and then I can braid and bake. It's the best Thumbs Up

RedVines

Post Wed, Feb 07 2007, 11:21 pm
I am doing something new this week...I am aking it today wed. as soon as cooled off, I am going to wrap really well, freeze. Than an hour before shabbos stick em in the oven to keep warm until the men are home from shul....voila, yummy challah!!

Emuna

Post Wed, Feb 07 2007, 11:28 pm
I just don't think it's the same to reheat as it is to fresh bake.

mumof1

Post Thu, Feb 08 2007, 1:49 am
I make my dough.
let it rise and then braid it and freeze it.
I take it out frozen friday morning and let it defrost and rise. about 7 hours and I bake it right before shabbos.
it is always delicious and never once did not rise.

I dont know if this makes a difference or not but I use fresh yeast.

Emuna

Post Thu, Feb 08 2007, 12:46 pm
Nope, no difference. I use dry yearst and it's perfect rising every time Thumbs Up

su7kids

Post Thu, Feb 08 2007, 4:31 pm
Mishie wrote:
I decided to try something different this Shabbos.

Today (wednesday) I made a large recipe for Challah Dough, let it rise for 2 hours, then I braided the Challahs, and put them on Cookie Sheets and into the freezer, when they get hard enough (in about an hour or so), I will wrap them individually, very well. and on Friday I'll take them out of the freezer in the morning, let them thaw out, and rise again, brush some egg and sprinkle with seeds and finally bake them.

What do y'all think?
I really hope they won't flop!!!

I want to bake them as close as possible to Shabbos. That's why I wanted to try this, as apposed to baking them all today and then freezing....

Isn't that what Kinneret does? You get a frozen challah which you defrost and it rises and bakes. I don't see aproblem.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Jul 17 2007, 6:27 pm
can you ladies help me? Last week I froze a piece of unbraided dough because I didnt have enough aluminum pans. So now when I defrost it to braid it, how long do I have to wait? DOes it rise again? Does is get sour during the defrosting process?

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Tue, Jul 17 2007, 8:41 pm
Mama, give it a good four hours to totally defrost - shape it and let it rise one hour or so before baking.

Good luck.

HealthCoach

Post Tue, Jul 17 2007, 11:23 pm
I do it all the time. Even if it doesn't rise while defrosting, it will catch up in the oven. I usually let it rise for a while after braiding and before freezing.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads