Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
What is the nicest thing a guest did for u?
1  2  Next

shanie5

Post Fri, Feb 09 2007, 12:54 am
I am not asking what they should do to be curtious, but what one has done above and beyond that.

when my parents come, my dad always fixes anything we need, and then finds things we didnt realize needed fixing-and fixes them. he also put in lights in my basement w/o my even thinking of asking him to.

Hannah!

Post Fri, Feb 09 2007, 1:31 am
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Tue, May 06 2008, 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

BeershevaBubby

Post Fri, Feb 09 2007, 4:21 am
The first Pesach after my divorce, my daughters were with their father and I wasn't talking to whatever family I have here in Israel. I mentioned to a coworker that I had no place to go and he arranged for me to go to one of his neighbors.

It was the first time I had visited this Yishuv, so I ended up arriving ridiculously early.

My hosts have a couple of married kids and that year, none were going to be with them for the first part of Pesach. So the two of us cooked up a storm in the kitchen.

At first the Baalat haBayit was horrified that I, a guest, should WORK, but I told her that it helped me take my mind off of missing my family since my favorite memories of Pesach is the frenzy of cooking which we all do together. And I think to a degree I helped her get over the fact that this was her first Pesach she had to 'share' her newly married daughter.

amother

Post Fri, Feb 09 2007, 6:00 am
went home Wink

anon

Post Fri, Feb 09 2007, 10:16 am
amother wrote:
went home Wink

Rolling Laughter

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Feb 09 2007, 10:18 am
I have a friend that recently came for shabbos on a weekend when I was having a big shabbaton at my house. She asked if she could bring anything, and I said some type of dessert would be great. She wound up bringing me enough dessert for MORE than 20 people!

Tefila

Post Fri, Feb 09 2007, 4:22 pm
Quote:
She wound up bringing me enough dessert for MORE than 20 people!

Do we know the same person Wink

shanie5

Post Sat, Feb 10 2007, 11:23 pm
we had a guest shortly after we moved in to our house. the front steps were not in the best condition, so he went to home depot with dh, bought wood and replaced the steps for us. (dh paid for the wood). this was really great for us cuz our tenants were moving in shortly and I was afraid that the moving men would end up going thru one of the steps.

ButterflyGarden

Post Fri, Jan 10 2014, 1:50 am
I know this is an old thread, but I like positive things. One shabbos we had some girls come for dinner. After dinner they stayed home with my kids (who were asleep) so DH and I could go for a shabbos walk, something we used to do a lot but hadn't done in a long time since we had little kids. When we got home we say that the table was cleaned up and all the dishes were washed and drying in the kitchen. It was such a nice surprise.

I had some girls come this past Rosh Hashana and instead of bringing gifts, they came early and played with the kids. It gave me a chance to finish my salads in peace and quiet and put on my sheital like a mentch. A little thing, but I really loved it.

We had another guest who brought sushi!! They are welcome to come back any time!!

willow

Post Fri, Jan 10 2014, 7:39 am
Brought papergoods

Raisin

Post Fri, Jan 10 2014, 9:20 am
took my kids to the park. Its happened a few times with different guests.

Also, watched our kids while I gave birth. (we warned them this might happen)

SplitPea

Post Fri, Jan 10 2014, 9:26 am
Show up at my house when I had a new baby. Saw I was stressed and overworked and needed a break. Took the baby and started moping my floor while I sat down for a few minutes!

Good friends make amazing guest.

Hope she does not kill me for this.

amother

Post Fri, Jan 10 2014, 9:58 am
Took the linen off the beds.

I can't stand when guests leave me a mess.
Mothers, teach your children to always leave a clean room. Stripping linen isn't mandatory, but at least make the beds!! Don't leave all your garbage in the room, it would be nice if you took your 4 shopping bags of garbage to my garbage can outside. I don't need to smell your dirty diapers!
If you buy new shoes don't leave me the empty shoe boxes! I am not a garbage dump or a hotel room!

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jan 10 2014, 10:05 am
Thing is, some want linen stripped, some find it annoying, some don't want bed made because they'll have to unmake it... hard to know

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Fri, Jan 10 2014, 10:19 am
SplitPea wrote:
Show up at my house when I had a new baby. Saw I was stressed and overworked and needed a break. Took the baby and started moping my floor while I sat down for a few minutes!

Good friends make amazing guest.

Hope she does not kill me for this.

now Im blushing

Cookies n Cream

Post Fri, Jan 10 2014, 10:39 am
Ima2NYM_LTR wrote:
now Im blushing

You're so sweet.

ectomorph

Post Fri, Jan 10 2014, 10:49 am
I was 9, and a very messy kid. But I cleaned up for a particular guest.
She made me feel like a million $.
She loudly told my mother, in my hearing, that I was going to grow up to be a great balabusta! Because when I want to, I can make things so beautifully clean!!!!!!
LOL at how much this meant to me.

ButterflyGarden

Post Sat, Jan 11 2014, 11:40 am
Ruchel wrote:
Thing is, some want linen stripped, some find it annoying, some don't want bed made because they'll have to unmake it... hard to know

I never go away anymore (too many kids, too big an adventure, nowhere to go) but when I did I always used to ask what I should do with the linens.

DrMom

Post Sat, Jan 11 2014, 11:47 am
Just before Shabbat, I went into labor. My guest took care of my kids all Shabbat while I was in the hospital.

m in Israel

Post Sat, Jan 11 2014, 12:31 pm
ButterflyGarden wrote:
I never go away anymore (too many kids, too big an adventure, nowhere to go) but when I did I always used to ask what I should do with the linens.

I agree with that. There are a lot of different opinions on what to do with the linen -- I think a good guest should ask. Personally I prefer that they don't strip the beds because then I feel pressure to wash the linen right away or the room looks so messy with a pile of dirty linen. Often I prefer to wash it later in the week and would like the room to look presentable in the meantime. If you ask, you won't go wrong.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics