Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Bathroom habits of Israeli men
1  2  Next

lavender_dew

Post Tue, Mar 12 2013, 1:15 am
This topic is a little ... awkward and crass, however, I can't keep to myself any longer.

Is there a difference in how Israelis use the bathroom after #2? I notice they always throw the toilet paper into the wastebasket, and they use a TON of it. I'm mostly referring to men - DH, and a lot of male guests we've had over.

I have to say, after we have an Israeli guy as a guest, I dread going into our guest bathroom. An entire roll of paper (or box of tissue) gone and all of the paper in the basket.. that I have to take out! I'm sorry, it's just revolting to me. I don't imagine there's any polite way to bring that up to guests... just deal with it, right? I already gave up on DH Dont know I apologize for the gross topic but it's honestly been bugging me for a long time!

shev143

Post Tue, Mar 12 2013, 1:37 am
well, its better than if the entire roll was down the pipes. That much paper would cause a back-up and that would be even more unpleasent.

tamara00

Post Tue, Mar 12 2013, 1:38 am
Weird, my DH is Israeli and he doesn't do that - though to be fair I'd hit the roof if he did and he probably knows that! But his family is also quite refined (for Israelis!) and they don't do anything like that either. Actually, now I think about it, he has some 'less-refined' friends and they don't do it either.. I don't think what you're referring to is Israeli per se..

Skippy!!

Post Tue, Mar 12 2013, 1:39 am
Don't keep a garbage pail in the guest bathroom.

Karnash

Post Tue, Mar 12 2013, 1:43 am
Never heard of or experienced anything like that.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Mar 12 2013, 1:46 am
When I was in Hadassah hospital a few years ago, I was horrified to see requests that people should not put toilet paper in the toilet to save money.
I remember being disgusted and thinking of all the possibilities of infection with all of these various people with illness's leaving dirty t. paper in the garbage.
I have since seen it a few other places . I don't think all Israeli men do it but that is probably where its coming from.

shev143

Post Tue, Mar 12 2013, 1:55 am
But why would that save money?

Jewishmom8

Post Tue, Mar 12 2013, 1:55 am
ewwww
lol
I will never get that ever
I see it all the time
EWWW

Isramom8

Post Tue, Mar 12 2013, 2:15 am
I agree that it's unpleasant, to say the least. But a lot of older Israeli plumbing cannot handle large amounts of toilet paper. That's the reason.

shosh

Post Tue, Mar 12 2013, 2:26 am
I think the situation is better today than it used to be ...

sequoia

Post Tue, Mar 12 2013, 2:27 am
In our apartment here in Brooklyn we have to throw tp in the trash because otherwise the toilet will clog. And I'm not an Israeli man last I checked Smile

Old plumbing. You get used to it.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Mar 12 2013, 2:27 am
shev143 wrote:
But why would that save money?

The toilets almost never get clogged. It uses less water/electricity if you only do the 1/2 flush.
Like Isramom said, some older toilets are not strong enough to flush t. paper/

Tablepoetry

Post Tue, Mar 12 2013, 2:34 am
shosh wrote:
I think the situation is better today than it used to be ...

This. I only know of one Israeli household where they request TP not be flushed. They are an older couple, with an older home.
Most people today have replaced all the old pipes, even if the rest of the apartment/house is old.
I've never ever had a guest not flush TP (I'm in Israel).

ray family

Post Tue, Mar 12 2013, 3:05 am
My (Israeli) grandmother is like this. won't put toilet paper in the toilet- uch! I also have an aunt who won't flush toilet paper in my house it totally grosses me out. it's one thing to do it in your own home but don't do it in mine!

DrMom

Post Tue, Mar 12 2013, 5:56 am
I understand the advantage of not flushing (old toilets, etc.)

But why use so much tp?

If the goal is to save $, I don't see how that is helpful.

Disclaimer: I have not personally observed this phenomenon.

chani8

Post Tue, Mar 12 2013, 7:47 am
It is an (old fashioned) israeli thing to not flush the TP.

So line your garbage can with a plastic bag and have a garbage can with a lid on it.

And yes, it's because of the pipes.

lavender_dew

Post Tue, Mar 12 2013, 9:57 am
I can understand not flushing TP in older homes, and while we don't live in one, I still would never flush wipes or anything that shouldn't be flushed.

It seems like there just could be a more effective way of using TP..lol. I mean, they COULD flush it if they used what might be considered a normal amount. But the sheer quantity of it (the waste basket practically overflowing) is just ridiculous. I do line the basket already, but maybe I'll take the advice of moving it.. at least to the other side of the room. Maybe that will help.

estie6

Post Tue, Mar 12 2013, 11:42 am
My husb has many mexican workers and the ALL do that. Bad plumbing from where they come from. Id hang a sign on the wall

Tamiri

Post Tue, Mar 12 2013, 1:32 pm
chani8 wrote:
It is an (old fashioned) israeli thing to not flush the TP.

So line your garbage can with a plastic bag and have a garbage can with a lid on it.

And yes, it's because of the pipes.
Exactly. It's not a matter of being refined or not. It's the plumbing. And old fashioned TP here was miserable and probably never broke down. This is a habit from the past. OP I would put a BIG sign in the bathroom: TP is TO BE FLUSHED PLEASE DON'T TOSS IN THE GARBAGE. I would remove the garbage can. I'd also provide a package of that Shabbat paper, tiny pieces. Let them use that.

Last edited by Tamiri on Tue, Mar 12 2013, 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Tue, Mar 12 2013, 1:38 pm
do they also leave out dirty tissues
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry