Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Roast recipes using very limited ingredients?
1  2  Next

lamp post

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 5:14 am
I don't use any processed ingredients - no spices (just salt and sugar), limited fruits and veggies (potatoes, onions, squash, sweet potatoes, celery, carrots, apples, lemons, oranges) - no garlic, only olive oil, wine, grape juice, etc..

anyone have a delicious roast recipe I can make using just the above?? I orderes a few cuts for yo"t and dont know what to do with them.. french roast, london broil..

Thanks!

Liba

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 5:15 am
Do you use onions?

Liba

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 5:20 am
I take my roast, rinse it, put salt on my hands, rub it over the roast. I put vegetables (peeled root vegetables, but not beets) in the pot, then the roast on top of the vegetables, and then cut up onions and put it over the top. Then I add water and cook on medium low heat for a good long while.

If you don't use onions I suggest marinating the meat in wine overnight before cooking it.

sarahd

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 5:56 am
Same as Liba. Sear the meat, put plenty of onions under it (she said she uses onions) also celery and carrots. Some red wine will add a nice taste. Salt to taste. Cover and bake (or cook) on a low flame/temperature for a few hours. Puree the gravy along with the vegetables. It'll be delicious. Mashed potatoes with that gravy - mmm.

Liba

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 6:05 am
Smile You are right, I read it three times and missed the onions each and every one of them!

Caramelizing the onions first also makes nice flavor.

sarahd

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 6:36 am
And for liquid you can also use beef or chicken broth (a.k.a. leftover soup) if you have.

spring13

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 10:03 am
Red wine, onions or shallots, salt and pepper.

Barbara

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 10:16 am
Try marinating it in 2/3 red wine and 1/3 olive oil. I use red wine vinegar for this recipe, but the wine should be close enough. Use lots of onions and other veggies you can use.

girlzrus

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 10:22 am
lamp post wrote:
I don't use any processed ingredients - no spices (just salt and sugar), limited fruits and veggies (potatoes, onions, squash, sweet potatoes, celery, carrots, apples, lemons, oranges) - no garlic, only olive oil, wine, grape juice, etc..

anyone have a delicious roast recipe I can make using just the above?? I orderes a few cuts for yo"t and dont know what to do with them.. french roast, london broil..

Thanks!

Thank you lamp post. I was hoping someone would start the limited ingredients thread. Ill be watching this for some more ideas.

girlzrus

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 10:28 am
sarahd wrote:
Same as Liba. Sear the meat, put plenty of onions under it (she said she uses onions) also celery and carrots. Some red wine will add a nice taste. Salt to taste. Cover and bake (or cook) on a low flame/temperature for a few hours. Puree the gravy along with the vegetables. It'll be delicious. Mashed potatoes with that gravy - mmm.

Can u use the purée gravy over liver/potato blintzes?

sarahd

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 11:39 am
Sure, why not?

studying_torah

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 12:06 pm
I use the same things as the op, and I want to point out that a fattier, more marbled roast will have more flavor than a leaner one.
Also, using a good quality dry wine will enhance the flavors.
enjoy!

MuppetLover

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 12:47 pm
I have the same minhag...
Do you use ginger?? I take a deckel, slice it in half halfway, then put fresh peeled ginger and onions in the middle. Then I peel peppers and put in a pot with sugar and water and let boil on low for about 3 hrs. (we only use fruit and veg we can peel and we dont use garlic)

girlzrus

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 4:11 pm
Muppetlover: How do you peel peppers?

shlomitsmum

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 4:52 pm
Apple juice, onions ,red peppers salt pepper baked in foil ....easy and very juicy and tender .
Also works for veal , venison or dear (Just in case) Very Happy

Barbara

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 4:55 pm
bedofroses wrote:
Muppetlover: How do you peel peppers?

If you roast them, the skin should slip off. Is that good enough, or do you actually need to peel?

mommyof6

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 9:46 pm
If you use Pesach coke it makes a great marinade. Let the roast defrost in the coke 24-48 hrs, turning every 12 hrs. Then use some of the coke to mix in with wine, water, etc.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 10:31 pm
Do you use potato starch?
You can make duck sauce with fresh orange juice, lemon juice, onion, ginger, sugar...

Happy2B1

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 10:54 pm
I use chuck roast. Tried lots of diff ways and best is simplist. Rub salt all over, put lots of onions on top of the roast and on bottom. Cover and bake on 250 overnight. You can bake on higher temp for shorter time. For seder I put some water in tray so its not roasting.

lamp post

Post Tue, Mar 19 2013, 3:20 am
Thanks. everyone! There are some really great responses here- cant wait to take out my pesach cookbook!

I usually make 3 roasts over yo't (one for first days, one for shabbos cho"hm, and one for second days), so I'll try a few out...

I dont use potato starch, coke, peppers, ginger, etc that were in some of these recipes, but theres still enough ideas for me to work with..

ra_mom, I saw the thread abt your duck sauce where someone asked if they can make it without the potato starch- I think you wrote to use less OJ or something.. would that be good to cook a roast in? sounds like something I'd try.

G'luck with your cooking, all! and if anyone else still wants to chime in with more ideas, im all ears! Smile
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics