Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
First pet suggestions

manhattanmom

Post Sun, Apr 07 2013, 10:44 am
So my (young) children read as: not old enough for major responsibilities (I'd be the one doing the basic pet care...) really want a pet. We live in a small apartment--no cats or dogs (it would have to be something that lives primarily in a tank or cage.)
Definitely no birds (I have an irrational fear of them, don't want to discuss it now.) And my kids don't seem interested in furry pets (guinea pigs, hamsters won't do well.)
Can you name an easy to care for pet--perhaps a low-maintenance reptile that you can recommend for our family? (I have a soft spot for reptiles, seems strange, I know.)

zigi

Post Sun, Apr 07 2013, 10:48 am
turtles are fun. they are easy to take care of. you have to change the water once a week.

anotherima

Post Sun, Apr 07 2013, 11:04 am
Chinese box turtle. Very easy to care for but I think the kids get bored of them easily.

manhattanmom

Post Sun, Apr 07 2013, 11:05 am
I love turtles but was concerned about all the salmonella stuff....what kind of turtle would you suggest? If it's an aquatic turtle--can you take it out of the water/tank at all?

MimiMommy

Post Sun, Apr 07 2013, 1:50 pm
We had box turtles growing up, they're great pets -- move slowly, quiet, don't bite, and vegetarian. I wouldn't be concerned about salmonella. Just have the kids wash their hands afterwards.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets