Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
I did IVF. Ask me anything.
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother

Post Sun, Apr 21 2013, 5:51 pm
newlywed19 wrote:
How do they retrieve the sperm from the husband? I was always curious about that.
Are you asking about regular IVF or with TESE?

amother

Post Sun, Apr 21 2013, 5:55 pm
newlywed19 wrote:
How do they retrieve the sperm from the husband? I was always curious about that.
me too would love to know that.

amother

Post Sun, Apr 21 2013, 5:56 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
We did IVF/TESE.

We have severe MF so it was the only treatment that we could try

Any questions?

-purple amother

Were you successful, do you have children yet? What is the TESE procedure like?
unfortunately no sperm were found. We are waiting for science to change so that bezras Hashem we will be able to have biological children.
I dont understand your last question? Do you want to know what TESE is? Or how they do the procedure? Or what it was like for me, as a wife, when DH was in surgery?

bookworm10

Post Sun, Apr 21 2013, 5:57 pm
amother wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:
ah yes, the transfer is the most humiliating procedure of anything... bc usually at any kind of pelvic exam you have a sheet covering you, but at the transfer, they leave you pretty much exposed from the hips down, it's so uch. I had quite a few transfers (six in total) and remember feeling so horribly exposed.

Mama Bear, right before each of my retreivals, even though I had a hospital gown on, they put my legs up in stirrups and I could feel the cold air at my private parts, so I felt exposed to everyone walking in and out of that operating room.

Sorry if I sound totally naive and silly... This does sound terribly humiliating, but not any more humiliating than pushing during labor. Have you had success with your IVF? Is the labor different, perhaps less embarassing as a result?

Do you want people to talk about it with you or not?

amother

Post Sun, Apr 21 2013, 5:58 pm
With regular IVF, there is a condom kit. The husband wears a special condom while he has relations with his wife. It captures the semen.

If the man can't [finish] semen, then it is extracted from his testicles during a surgical procedure by a urologist who specializes in this.

tissues

Post Sun, Apr 21 2013, 5:59 pm
What's TESE?

mirror

amother wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
We did IVF/TESE.

Any questions?

-purple amother

unfortunately no sperm were found. We are waiting for science to change so that bezras Hashem we will be able to have biological children.
I dont understand your last question? Do you want to know what TESE is? Or how they do the procedure? Or what it was like for me, as a wife, when DH was in surgery?

I am so sorry to hear that. How do you deal with it?

amother

Is it true that a dh can only [finish] if doing it into cup while dw is not nidda?

amother

Post Sun, Apr 21 2013, 6:00 pm
amother wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:
ah yes, the transfer is the most humiliating procedure of anything... bc usually at any kind of pelvic exam you have a sheet covering you, but at the transfer, they leave you pretty much exposed from the hips down, it's so uch. I had quite a few transfers (six in total) and remember feeling so horribly exposed.

Mama Bear, right before each of my retreivals, even though I had a hospital gown on, they put my legs up in stirrups and I could feel the cold air at my private parts, so I felt exposed to everyone walking in and out of that operating room.
I never had a transfer. I did not find retrieval humiliating. I was out cold before they even finished putting my feet in the stipupps

amother

Post Sun, Apr 21 2013, 6:01 pm
tissues wrote:
What's TESE?
yes whats that?

amother

Post Sun, Apr 21 2013, 6:04 pm
tissues wrote:
What's TESE?
Biopsy of the testicles. Its done when a man as no sperm in the [finish]. Basically the dr cuts open the testicles to get out any sperm that is hopefully inside

amother

Post Sun, Apr 21 2013, 6:17 pm
amother wrote:
Is it true that a dh can only [finish] if doing it into cup while dw is not nidda?
According to most Rabbanim the best way for the man to give a semen sample if that he wears a special condom while he has intercourse with his wife. He then takes off the condom and puts it into a special cup and they race over the the dr's office because the sample has to be dropped off within a short amount of time. (I think 1.5 hours but I dont remember, its been a while since we did this.)

In some situations the Rav might allow the man to produce the sample on his own in a cup at the dr's office, without his wife.

cookiejar

Post Sun, Apr 21 2013, 6:25 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
We did IVF/TESE.

Any questions?

-purple amother

If no sperm were found, why are you scheduled to undergo another round of IVF? Isn't having sperm to work with a crucial factor? Or are there 2 different OPs on here that I am confusing?

amother

Post Sun, Apr 21 2013, 8:07 pm
purple amother,

We are also dealing with MF; somewhere in the middle spectrum. There is sperm but low count & motility. Our next plan of action (after failed IUIs) is ICSI (if we hopefully get some Bonei Olam funding).

I am petrified.

I wish I had the level of emunah you have. I am too afraid to hope because I'm so afraid I'll be disappointed.

green amother

amother

Post Sun, Apr 21 2013, 8:08 pm
edited to change color. I am not the green amother from the big IF thread.

purple amother,

We are also dealing with MF; somewhere in the middle spectrum. There is sperm but low count & motility. Our next plan of action (after failed IUIs) is ICSI (if we hopefully get some Bonei Olam funding).

I am petrified.

I wish I had the level of emunah you have. I am too afraid to hope because I'm so afraid I'll be disappointed.

orange amother

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Apr 21 2013, 8:13 pm
With labor, youre 1) in pain 2) concentrating on pushing 3) know there's a baby at the end of this. With the transfer, youre laying there exposed and in tears and davening that this transfer turns into a pregnancy. It's a different ballgame.

Out of my six transfers only 2 were successful. But Bh for that. Not complaining....

amother

Post Sun, Apr 21 2013, 8:38 pm
What is the max amount of eggs that they would place back in you? Were you ever pregnant with multiples? (Not sure if your IVF was successful or not-- I have to admit that I wasn't able to fully follow all of your lingo)
I guess what I'm asking is, how many eggs can they put back into you that would give you a good chance of one of them catching on without you being put in the position of becoming pregnant with quads or the like?

amother

Post Sun, Apr 21 2013, 8:46 pm
Original OP here - I agree with MamaBear. I did B'H have 2 successful cycles and 2 labors, but I didn't mind labor the way I minded the transfer. I think it has a lot to do with the emotions. During labor you are just so glad to get to the point of pushing and so emotional about seeing the baby that it doesn't seem like a big deal. Transfer is just, UCH. But what I really hate about it most is the full bladder sensation. And you can't even relieve yourself right after because you have to rest for 30 minutes post transfer.

amother

Post Sun, Apr 21 2013, 8:48 pm
cookiejar wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
We did IVF/TESE.

Any questions?

-purple amother

If no sperm were found, why are you scheduled to undergo another round of IVF? Isn't having sperm to work with a crucial factor? Or are there 2 different OPs on here that I am confusing?

Original OP here - I think you are mixing up to amothers. I'm the one who said that I am scheduled for another round soon B'ezras Hashem. Purple amother was the one who said they found no sperm. That isn't our issue, B"H, although we do have male factor it isn't so bad to need TESE.

amother

Post Sun, Apr 21 2013, 8:50 pm
amother wrote:
What is the max amount of eggs that they would place back in you? Were you ever pregnant with multiples? (Not sure if your IVF was successful or not-- I have to admit that I wasn't able to fully follow all of your lingo)
I guess what I'm asking is, how many eggs can they put back into you that would give you a good chance of one of them catching on without you being put in the position of becoming pregnant with quads or the like?

Personally, by me they put back 2 and I did end up with twins. Smile It depends a lot on various factors, such as age and diagnosis and quality of the eggs, as well as personal preference. You have to be willing to take the chance of twins if they transfer 2. Two is usually the max in a young healthy women, but in older women with many failed cycles they might do 3.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics