Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Vegetarian shabbos guest
1  2  Next

Ay Jay Jay

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 11:16 am
A shabbos guest this week is a vegetarian.
What should I make?

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 11:29 am
is your guest vegan or vegetarian?

I'm a lacto/ovo/pescetarian, so I eat dairy and fish. I also NEVER expect shabbos hosts to cater to my diet, but I've had some who've made sushi, fish in some form--steamed, poached, broiled, fish tacos (!!!), veggie stew of some kind.

usa

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 11:31 am
Wine/grape juice; challa; any kind of kugel; cholent without meat or chicken but with plenty of spices, beans, sweet potato, etc; vegetarian liver; any salad, such as potato salad, or tomato salad with onions and avocado; juice; dessert.

In other words, everything except meat, chicken, fish. Just make sure there is enough other food so he will come away from the table full.

Clarissa

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 11:33 am
If there are enough non-meat sides, a vegetarian should do fine. If you want to add something for the guest, there are lots of options -- vegetarian stuffed peppers, stews, pasta casseroles, noodle dishes, etc. The list is endless. We have a milchig house and rarely make fish, so that's how we do Shabbat all the time.

greenfire

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 11:45 am
if you want to make a mock steak, use a large portabella mushroom & cook with onions, soy sauce & garlic - serve like a steak with other veggies on the side

asparagus or broccoli would look nice

but there are long lists of foods that most of us eat that are already vegetarian - think of all the side dishes

thanks

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 12:02 pm
You can put soy hotdogs on top of the crockpot on Shabbos morning.

syrima

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 12:14 pm
make a few salads, and egg salad.

Hatemywig

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 12:26 pm
Avocado Dip
Rice
Potato Salad
Quinoa/Quinoa Salad
Veggie Schnitzel
Veggie Burger
Eggplant: Chatzilim with mayo/without/grilled/Spanish Eggplant/Fried sliced Eggplant
Sweet Potato pie
Broccoli Pie
Parev Quiche with non dairy cheese

Raisin

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 12:50 pm
I rarely make special food for vegetarians (vegans are another story). I serve dips and challa every week, no problem there. If they are a pescetarian they can have extra gefilta fish. If I am serving soup I will make it a vegetable soup. I usually serve 2 or 3 side dishes with the main course, vegetarians are usually happy with kugel.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 1:01 pm
My husband is vegetarian/pescatarian. We almost never mention his eating because most of the time there are more than enough side dishes that are pareve. I would make sure that there are vegan dishes if they are vegan though. Just ask right out how they define vegetarian.

etky

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 1:53 pm
We had vegan guests for Shabbat lunch a couple of weeks ago. Basically, everything had to be parve, with no fish or eggs either.
I served salatim and challah and some other fresh salads that I made as a first course.
Main course was parve cholent (turned out unexpectedly well), green salad, mexican bulgar salad, grilled vegetables, cabbage rice, baby potatoes with garlic and herbs, baked sweet potatoes (and chicken for my carnivores).
Dessert was eggless parve ice cream and vegan cookies that they baked.
BTW - some vegans don't eat honey or drink wine either, so you should check.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 2:34 pm
If lacto-ovo, kugels and quiches are good way.

For vegans, parve cholent is an easy main, or you can always get vegetarian burgers etc. (My favourite is putting vegetarian burger on top of cholent and breaking up right before serving.) Rice or roasted potatoes for starch, and salatim are usually vegan. Or grilled vegetables/mushroom. Stir-fry with tofu (use firm style) is another option.

Raisin

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 2:37 pm
chanamiriam wrote:
My husband is vegetarian/pescatarian. We almost never mention his eating because most of the time there are more than enough side dishes that are pareve. I would make sure that there are vegan dishes if they are vegan though. Just ask right out how they define vegetarian.

I think it makes sense to mention it. I am careful not to put to put fleishig ingredients (eg chicken stock) into side dishes since I often have veggie guests, others may not bother. or I might roast the potatoes under the chicken.

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 2:41 pm
thanks wrote:

actually, please don't. LOL I can't think of any veggies I know who would eat stuff like this. I'd be happiest with a giant, hearty salad.

etky

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 9:12 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
thanks wrote:

actually, please don't. LOL I can't think of any veggies I know who would eat stuff like this. I'd be happiest with a giant, hearty salad.

ITA - I was toying with the idea of putting tivol sausages in the parve cholent but decided not to.
My guests were happy I didn't. BTW -I did put in vacuum packed chesnuts (I got the idea from a veg. cooking site) to add a bit of 'texture' and everyone liked it very much. I also seasoned the cholent with smoked paprika instead of the usual sweet paprika that I use for meat cholent and I think it added a lot.
When you have vegans you have to have grains and pulses as well as vegetables to make up for the meat, fish, eggs or dairy that they don't eat - unless of course, they're very light eaters who can fill up on veggies. Got to know your customers...

Raisin

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 1:36 am
I also think it is nicer to serve real food then veggie hot dogs/schntzles. Would you serve commercially prepared schnitzle to your other guests? No, I'll bet you make homemade food, not prepared convenience food.

DrMom

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 1:53 am
I'd try to make sure I include lentils/beans for protein (assuming the meal isn't dairy so you can't serve cheese). Lentil soup is a nice starter.

ewa-jo

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 2:18 am
vintagebknyc wrote:
thanks wrote:

Me too.

I am vegetarian and I dislike soya products that are supposed to be meat. I will eat edamame beans or soymilk, but not soy hotdogs.

Just make extra salads or veggie kugels.

When we go out for Shabbos meals, I am more thinking about 'Yay, I get to spend time with my friends' than about the food itself.

Vanilla

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 10:25 am
When I make vegetarian cholent, I don't add any soy products, but I do put in lentils, which really add a nice flavor.

aebz

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 12:52 pm
Vegeterian Kishke also makes a good additional to pareve cholent - gives it the texture and taste that's lacking in most pareve cholents. I also use a ton of bbq sauce in my pareve cholent which also makes up for the lack of meat.

I'm a vegeterian and my husband is not so what I do on shabbos is replicate what I do to the chicken with tofu (changing baking times, etc). That way I feel like we're getting to try the same dishes and I don't have to make a whole new dish just for me.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus