Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
I'm a Fashion Designer and Fashion Stylist - Ask me Anything
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

What is your body type?
Pear  
 41%  [ 59 ]
Hourglass  
 40%  [ 58 ]
Apple  
 10%  [ 15 ]
Rectangular  
 7%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 143

amother

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 8:03 pm
amother wrote:
Hi Frum Stylist! This is awesome! So, I have a tough figure, and from posts here I think I'm not the only one with this problem. I am 5'5". I have a very, very flat chest, with narrow shoulders. I wear a very, very padded bra which comes out to a 32b. I wear a size 2-4on top. On bottom, I have natural padding all around and wear a skirt size 8. I have such a hard time buying clothes, because what fits by my shoulders/chest area, often makes my stomach and behind protrude tremendously. I know one pieces like dresses are no-nos, but in a world where a full chest seems to be the norm, buying clothes that look good is such a challenge... It doesn't help that I have no fashion sense whatsoever. To me, a long black slinky skirt and a sweatshirt are beautiful and comfortable.... I want to dress in style, but am hopelessly lost.
Please help!
Thanks a million! This is a huge chessed!!

Hi there! I'm back! Very Happy

A-ah! You're probably a mix of Pear and Straight body type.

I'll write a little about the topics you brought and if you have any more questions, please ask more.

First, life is about harmony, to bring out harmony and to make harmony. Your natural beauty brings the attention of the observer to your lower body, so our main goal is to enhance the top, which will distribute the attention and your look will be harmonious.

1. Use and abuse of details on the your top: big necklaces that go from neckline to bust area (if you wear loooong necklaces, it will draw attention to your lower half), big lapels, shoulder pads, details on sleeves (specially on the upper area of the sleeve), embroideries, pins, broches, scarves... dress up your upper body and enjoy doing it, it's a lot of fun.

2. Keep it simple the lower body. No pleats, no big pockets, no shiny stuff. Simple and beautiful

3. Dresses look gorgeous on your body type! You just have to try the ones the better suit you:
a) A-Line Wrap Dresses - it will be fitted on the waistline and lose on the bottom
b) Flared Dresses
c) Fake Wraps - same thing as a wrap, but don't open in the middle.
d) Color combination on the prints like... a dress that has brighter color on the top and darker one at the bottom.

Please read what I wrote above for another member who also is a Pear shape.

You do have fashion sense! That's why you want to know more about dressing Very Happy

In case you want to discuss more details, post again!

amother

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 8:13 pm
lk1234 wrote:
hi fashion designer- ditto for me- what the previous amtoher wrote. I am skinny, flat and tall
Can you recommmend colors, patterns, fabrics ?

Yes, yes! It's all about color combination!

Let's divide your doubt and study each point:

1. Colors: Light colors. Actually, any color looks good on you but light just bring out that inner happiness you want to share with the world.

2. Patterns: big prints in circular shapes like big flowers, circles, butterflies... it will make your body look curvier.

3. Fabrics: Woven fabric. The ones that have "body" like cottons, wools, tafetta etc. These fabrics are great to make "curves".

You didn't ask but I'll tell you anyways:
a) look for jackets or skirts with pepluns. Use high necklines (Audrey Hepburn loved and Gwineth Paltrow loves it)
b) a very simple dress, with crew neckline that is very long, straight and falls beautifully till reach your feet will just look like you're going for a Gala. You're very elegant.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 8:47 pm
amother wrote:
Can't resist asking you now even though you are out till tonight .... First of all - thank you!!

I always say that I wish someone frum would publish a pamphlet each season with "rules" - what's in - what's out and a big "no -no" - I'm always self conscious about what I'm wearing and how I look. So, you are doing me and many others a HUGE favor!

I am short and a little overweight. Like most short people most of the weight is on my thighs but now I have a stomach too. So I wear tops that cover like till the top of my legs but it gets tricky that it can look maternity sometimes. (BTW I look great in maternity clothing since it covers well all the fatty parts.) I think I look good in open cardigan style with the top button only closed but lately shells are too tight on me so I have to be careful with that.

So I am short (5ft) and about 140-145 lbs and really never know what to wear that will cover up and make me look good! If you have links to possible tops/shirts I would love it!!! Thank you soooo much!!!

You're welcome Smile

Haha, we do love rules! Let's go:

1. To find out what's in, what's out... well... it depends of how fashionista you are... a fashion beast (hahahaha) is a stalker of the fashion weeks. Basically a Fashion week will launch trends more less 6 months in advance to a season...that's why the "rules". For example: the latest NY Fashion week happened in February... it was the Fall/Winter fashion week... it happens in February, so the manufacturers will have time to produce everything for August, when Fall begins. Whoever was stalking this Fashion Week knows that BLUE and YELLOW (dark yellow, like NY cabs) will be the main colors. If you're interested, we can talk about the trends that will be ON, like... which will be the "rules" for Winter 2013.

2. I would guess you're a mix of Pear and Apple shape. No worries, most of us are 2 types at the same time. Please read all I wrote about Pear and Apple and ask me any detail you would like to discuss. I have some tips in the copy+paste style... if you want, I can paste it again Smile

3. The tops: I imagine it looks maternity because they're Empire Waist... is that right? What you could consider is:
a) buy empire waist dresses (not maternity) that have a V-Neck and wear a light thin shell-blouse underneath (in case you cover your elbows and neckbone). It will make your neck longer and bring attention to the V-neck instead of your mid-section.

b) an Empire waist dress that is maxi... you should try one and see how you feel in it.

c) prefer prints instead of solid colors. I've noticed that most Apples want solid colors... but that's just an illusion. Solid colors are revealing, prints are distracting and fun. What about a dress that is A-Line with dark prints... maybe... dark blue circles on a black surface? Blue is coming with all its strength for this coming Fall... and I think it will stick for a while because Brazil will get a lot of attention in 2014 and 2016... think about that.

d) Have you ever tried a wrap-dress? the ones that make pleats at the waistline will look gorgeous on you.

4. Stop thinking on "cover up"... mon cherrie...You are beautiful! Just bring out all that confidence you have and let the light shine!

5. Links:
a) I love reading the blog www.thecurvyfashionista.com, she knows who she is and what she wants!
b) I'll take a look at some nice links for you and will post later.

6. Maybe the shells are too tight because they're not for your body size and HEIGHT!
Did you know that the position of the waistline, hip line and the sleeve “elbow line” change according to your height? As you can see, it’s not just a matter of taking off or adding a few centimeters at the hem.

Petite - corresponds to women who are 5’3” (1.60m) and under.

Average - corresponds to women who are between 5’4” (1.63cm) and 5’8” (1.73cm).

Tall - corresponds to women who are 5’9” (1.75cm) and up.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 8:50 pm
Hi Fashion Designer. I am 5'6". I have straight dark hair til my shoulders & I wear glasses. I am about a size 14 in America. I have a big bust & wide hips. I have really good legs. I only wear flats or sneakers. I would like to know what you think in regards to a casual every day style for me as well as a dressy style.

My casual wear is a nice tee shirt and skirt or a tee shirt with leggings or yoga pants. All my tee shirts don't seem to work for me and I wear them out (they just sit on my bust) & I feel very wide in a skirt or yoga pants. Is there anything that would look good on me or will I have to starting wearing a tent?

My dressy outfits tend be a shell with a sleeveless top & a skirt.

Thanks so much,

P.S. What are the hot new colours that go well together? Are prints ever coming back?

amother

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 9:03 pm
amother wrote:
I'm wondering how much you charge and what your job entails.

What kind of people use a fashion stylist? I would love to but always imagined that it's for the rich (and famous?) - I am neither...

Could plain old me hire someone?

Let's divide the answer Smile

1. Salary and what entails our Stylist job... I'll post a link of a colleague in the area that says a lot about what we do and average charges, hope that will help: http://www.akashastylist.com/f......html

2. EVERYBODY uses a fashion stylist. From top celebrities to anonymous people... all women and men who want to transform their shopping experience in something more meaningful and useful. I say 'useful' because... how many of us use everything we have bought? Some ladies I know use less than half of their clothes... all due to lack of information. Sales people want to sell, and once we get home, there's no sales person there saying "You look great!" and then we see the reality as it is... and sometimes it's frustrating. Most people who do not enjoy shopping carry this feeling because of what I call "sales people bliss"... if sales people were trained to give the best advises, shopping would be a lot of fun for everyone.

3. The rates of a Fashion Stylist varies A LOT! As you saw, the Stylist from the link I posted charges $50 for first hour... a top celebrity Stylist charge from $1.500 to $10.000 a day.

4. You can hire a Stylist at anytime. Think like that: whatever you pay her you're saving in clothes that you wouldn't use so often and most important and when we feel comfortable in a clothing, we feel empowered! Confident!

Let us know if you found a Stylist you liked and what were the results!

amother

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 9:05 pm
I love trying new, non-boring things. My problem is that I'm never quite sure if I look fabulous or ridiculous. Is there any trick to figuring out whether I've crossed the line into a "don't"? I tend to dress more conservative than I'd like just because I feel self-conscious when I try to be stylish. Tips?

amother

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 9:20 pm
amother wrote:
I'm 4"11 and thin, and I find it very hard to shop for clothing. The dresses designed for the average woman don't fit well, but are the right length to cover my knees, while the petite size dresses and skirts are too short. Also, many stores that I like to shop in, like Zara's, don't carry petite sizes. Any particular stores, or online sites you can recommend for women like me?

Also, I am shopping online for sandals, and I like these but I'm not sure if a shoe with such a tall height (4 1/2") would look good on someone petite with short, chicken legs? What do you think?
http://www.zappos.com/ugg-luci.....ilk#z
Thanks.

You're probably a Straight body type and Petite. The Average Woman dresses don't fit well because their waistline, hipline and elbow line are located differently than what should be for a Petite height.

Most stores don't carry Petite and Tall woman sizes because they don't sell much. To make a garment it takes worker of a researcher (for measurements), designer and pattern maker... all of this before getting into the sewing room. It's a lot of work.

I know one that work for Petites/Average/Tall and is tzinius: www.dellasuza.com Hope you'll like it.

I love the sandals! Before buying them just think what clothes you would wear with them. Sometimes we buy shoes out of passion not thinking on what to wear. Since these sandals are already a statement, you have to find some clothes that will also cause a strong impression, otherwise all attention will be drought to your feet.

Hope that helped! Smile

amother

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 9:24 pm
amother wrote:
I'm 5 8 thin 130lbs but have a big behind how do I cover that?

My dear Pear shape, I'll repeat here some tips for you because the topic is getting big (yey!) and it will make your life easier. But please take a look at previous posts as most ladies here are also gorgeous Pears!

How to bring out the best of this body type

The best way to balance your body type is to drive attention away from your hips and bring it to the top of your body. Details at necklines such as large jewelry, embroidery and shoulder pads will do wonders in balancing out your figure.

Consider wearing plenty of bell sleeves, A-lines and flared skirts. You have a tiny waist, which begs for fitted and waist defining tops.
As the full bust body type, you will look fabulous with V-necks, or necklaces with a V shape, as they bring attention to your small waist area and elongates the neck, thus extending your figure.

Avoid jackets that end at the larger area of your hips. Give preference to the ones that finish by your hip bones (or a bit above). Also, darker colors give a sort of camouflage to your lower half.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 9:27 pm
Ladies, I'll make a little ginger tea (my favorite!) and be back in a few minutes for a few more posts.

Please answer the poll, it helps me a lot to understand you Wink

lk1234

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 9:50 pm
is there a way to get in touch with you- like do you have a website or something. You are so good. To me it makes sense that I hire you so that I can learn what to buy and then I'll just always know- instead of forever doubting myself.

Thanks so much for responding! I'm loving this ama!!

amother

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 10:02 pm
I am the amother from 10:50am. Thank you so much for your advice. I love your attitude and passion about your job!! I'm sure you are really successful at what you do!
The thing is, dresses really don't work for me. Because I'm a size 2 on top, and an 8 on bottom, and dresses being a one piece almost always end up looking rediculous. In additon, I cannot wear things that wrap because my small chest cannot hold up the fabric, or fill it out, and because I am not proportioned, this brings out my larger lower half. I really have a hard time with clothes that don't look odd on...
I like the idea of bringing the focus up to the top, I will try that.
Thanks so much for this topic. This is fun and useful! Enjoy your tea:)

amother

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 10:03 pm
hi frum designer!!! how did you become a designer? I would love to become one or start a line of clothes or a business or soemthing.. but I have no idea how to! or where to begin?!!

im not a very stylish person myself but ive got some great ideas and I always get a lot ofcompliments on clothes I wear or put together...

secondly,
I am very skinny, and flat and totally not curvy. I used to be a nice normal size on top but ever since I bh bh bh had kids ive gotten very flat. so what can I wear thatll make me feel more womenly? (im 5"3 if that makes a difference)
thanks

amother

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 10:14 pm
I had posted two amother questions - thank you for the response. You write back to everyone so patiently and cheerfully. Smile

The links you posted were quite informative. You wrote about dresses ... I have not worn dresses in years! I am 41 - short and chubby and work out of my home. I am busy with my little kids (I have a newborn too) and just want to look nice when I run out in the middle of the day but yet comfortable when I'm home. At this point you will find me with a black skirt and some sort of top with a shell underneath. When my lifestyle changes a bit I would certainly like to dress up more on a daily basis. Yet, I AM busy covering up my extra fat and it makes me crazy! If I wear super control top tights I am left with a bulge of fat in my middle -so who in the world would want that to show through? Anyway, I might try a dress as you recommended even though I would have never thought of it!

You are right, I spend more on clothing than I should since I don't wear so many of the purchases. You know how it is ... you are standing before your own mirror and thinking - why did I think this looked good in the store?

What kind of stores do you shop in for clients? I wonder if I can afford this. It really sounds tempting! Thanks for all the great advice!

amother

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 10:16 pm
I am about 5'3 and overweight. Nothing looks good on me. Any advice?

amother

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 10:26 pm
amother wrote:
Hi Fashion Designer. I am 5'6". I have straight dark hair til my shoulders & I wear glasses. I am about a size 14 in America. I have a big bust & wide hips. I have really good legs. I only wear flats or sneakers. I would like to know what you think in regards to a casual every day style for me as well as a dressy style.

My casual wear is a nice tee shirt and skirt or a tee shirt with leggings or yoga pants. All my tee shirts don't seem to work for me and I wear them out (they just sit on my bust) & I feel very wide in a skirt or yoga pants. Is there anything that would look good on me or will I have to starting wearing a tent?

My dressy outfits tend be a shell with a sleeveless top & a skirt.

Thanks so much,

P.S. What are the hot new colours that go well together? Are prints ever coming back?

We have the same height! Look at that...
You're an Hourglass. Bust and hip measurements are sort of alike and I imagine you have a defined waistline. Maybe you could be also a mix of Hourglass and Apple? That's possible. For now, I'll talk only about the Hourglass body type... but please read all Apple tips on the previous page. Yes, Hourglass usually have great legs, congrats!

Let's divide these points you bring out and if you have more doubts, just contact us again Smile

1. Black hair fits every color for clothing. Yey! Personally, I love to see brunetes wearing bright blue. The black & blue colors just match so well...

2. Glasses are charming, use them with pride!

3. Flats and sneakers...
a) Flats are really hot in 2013, nice flats with studs, golden, silver or very colorful ones. You're a lucky girl! Believe me, it's cool to wear nice dresses, I mean, really nice dresses for evening events with flats. They're everywhere.

b) Sneakers, sneakers... they're comfy but they're sporty... not appropriate for all places... watch out. Also, if a person gets used to wearing sneakers all the time, her clothing choices will get very limited.

c) Heels: Yeah, yeah, yeah, heels. Hey, stop making that "humpf!" face to me! Very Happy You know the truth, Hourglass women were born to wear dresses and heels.

d) Casual everyday style: Hourglasses can wear everything. Simple as that. V-necks or necklaces with a V shape draw attention away from your bust area as they elongate the neck and upper body and create a slimming effect.

Wraps and fitted dresses enhance your curvaceous form. Try to keep the top of your body simple, since your figure is already well balanced.

When layering garments, give preference to tailored jackets as it will show off more your curves.

Belts love you, as they define your waist. Dresses are your best friends and the ones at knee length give your figure a long and elegant statement. Pencil skirts look just great on you.

Although you have a wonderful waistline, it's ok if wear waist-less tunics from time to time. However, keep in mind that if you have a larger bust area, you will look larger on a side view.

4. T-shirts and yoga pants... houglasses have bust. Bust + T-Shirt = illusion of a larger figure... What about a nice wrap dress? You can wear "pencil skirt" wraps and "A-Line" wraps... that's the easiest dress to wear. Of... a fake wrap like the one used by Kate Middleton on her engagement.

5. Shells: only buy a shell if it's for your size. Shells are tricky because they're made of jersey knit. What happens then is that sales people use the "stretch" characteristic of the knit to sell smaller shells... that's why some ladies feel a bit uncomfortable with them. I only wear shell for my size and believe me, I wear them as a dress and it looks fabulous. Because shells are so simple, they allow us to wear very nice accessories. Actually, shells crave for accessories to enhance them. Try taking a look at the store that I posted above. Shells, shells, shells, we all love shells!

6. Hot new colors: if you're in the USA know that 99% of designers will present black and white for summer. Weird? Yes, I know... but that what happened. The main print this coming summer will be black and white stripes. The main colors for Fall 2013 will be light pink, bright blue, yellow and black.

7. Prints? If you're in Europe, designers are still in love with prints there. Enjoy it!

8. Everything comes back in fashion. Everything.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 10:36 pm
amother wrote:
I love trying new, non-boring things. My problem is that I'm never quite sure if I look fabulous or ridiculous. Is there any trick to figuring out whether I've crossed the line into a "don't"? I tend to dress more conservative than I'd like just because I feel self-conscious when I try to be stylish. Tips?

Follow the halacha: everybody needs a good friend and a rabbi Very Happy

But for fashion, please ask only the good friend. Let the rabbi deal with rabbis matters.

A good friend is someone who will tell you the truth without making you feel bad. A good friend will tell you the truth bringing out your good points and she will show you options.

You're the innovative fashionista... I would recommend you to follow some photographers blogs. Why? Photographers are masters in observation and they can identify exactly the point you're interested in: how to look cool walking in the edge?

I like the www.thesartorialist.com

He picks anonymous people on the streets around the world who dress in style. Try looking at older pictures since the ones he posted today most people are wearing black (ops! remember? black... NY... 99% of designers did black collections...)

amother

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 10:41 pm
Fist of all - I LOVE the way you write! Maybe you can publish a book or "rules", after all!

handbags .... why am I always leaving mine in my car because - well because ... I feel like what I have is never in?? Or I'm not sure if it's in. I am short- so I need something on the smaller side. Thanks!!

amother

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 10:43 pm
lk1234 wrote:
is there a way to get in touch with you- like do you have a website or something. You are so good. To me it makes sense that I hire you so that I can learn what to buy and then I'll just always know- instead of forever doubting myself.

Thanks so much for responding! I'm loving this ama!!

Currently I work as a designer. My Stylist days are almost over because I do love handling fabrics, shopping for fabrics, hugging fabrics, cutting fabrics hahaha I could sleep in a pile of fabric and dream I was in Olam Habah Very Happy

If you're in the States I can indicate some good stylists and some reading material.

Thank you so much for your lovely words Smile

amother

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 10:50 pm
amother wrote:
hi frum designer!!! how did you become a designer? I would love to become one or start a line of clothes or a business or soemthing.. but I have no idea how to! or where to begin?!!

im not a very stylish person myself but ive got some great ideas and I always get a lot ofcompliments on clothes I wear or put together...

secondly,
I am very skinny, and flat and totally not curvy. I used to be a nice normal size on top but ever since I bh bh bh had kids ive gotten very flat. so what can I wear thatll make me feel more womenly? (im 5"3 if that makes a difference)
thanks

how about me? any advice?

amother

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 10:53 pm
amother wrote:
I am the amother from 10:50am. Thank you so much for your advice. I love your attitude and passion about your job!! I'm sure you are really successful at what you do!
The thing is, dresses really don't work for me. Because I'm a size 2 on top, and an 8 on bottom, and dresses being a one piece almost always end up looking rediculous. In additon, I cannot wear things that wrap because my small chest cannot hold up the fabric, or fill it out, and because I am not proportioned, this brings out my larger lower half. I really have a hard time with clothes that don't look odd on...
I like the idea of bringing the focus up to the top, I will try that.
Thanks so much for this topic. This is fun and useful! Enjoy your tea:)

Hey, thank you for coming back!

Have you tried a fake wrap already, like the one Kate Middleton used on her engagement party? If I ever find out how to post pictures on this forum I'll post the picture of a gorgeous fake wrap that Elie Saab made for his Pre-Fall 2013 collection.

Tea is great, thank you! Love ginger Smile
Page 2 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics