Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Measles ... :(
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother

Post Thu, Apr 25 2013, 11:18 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
EmesOrNT wrote:
A teaches was unvaccinated, contracted measles and exposed innocent children? Shame on her.

Who said she herself was unvaccinated? People don't know they are carrying measles until symptoms show up. I would assume that she didn't knowingly expose innocent children.

Of course she didn't know that she's carrying the measles. Rolling Eyes
Ans she definitley didn't expose them knowingly.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 25 2013, 12:03 pm
I was vaccinated for Rubella more than once, and whenever I am pregnant, the tests come back that I am not immune

farm

Post Thu, Apr 25 2013, 12:06 pm
From DOH regarding current outbreak:
Five confirmed cases of measles were reported to the New York City (NYC) Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH) over the past month. A large number of exposures occurred in the community and additional suspected cases are being investigated. All confirmed cases were from Borough Park, Brooklyn and were unvaccinated. Cases ranged in age from 10 months to 23 years. The index case was imported from London.

Vanilla

Post Thu, Apr 25 2013, 12:16 pm
My son had the mumps and it was reported. He was actually vaccinated for it.

Cookies n Cream

Post Thu, Apr 25 2013, 12:17 pm
farm wrote:
From DOH regarding current outbreak:
Five confirmed cases of measles were reported to the New York City (NYC) Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH) over the past month. A large number of exposures occurred in the community and additional suspected cases are being investigated. All confirmed cases were from Borough Park, Brooklyn and were unvaccinated. Cases ranged in age from 10 months to 23 years. The index case was imported from London.

Just five?
I myself have heard of more than five, and know someone above the age of twenty three that has the measles.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Apr 25 2013, 12:20 pm
They said they are investigating additional cases, those are the ones confirmed by them. Which is why OP asked about DOH calling -- they are trying to confirm all the cases reported.

irg2013

Post Thu, Apr 25 2013, 12:34 pm
Please do get your child appropriate medical care and please do answer questions from the department of health.

Knowing these things (I.e. that a child in school or in the neighborhood has measles, that many children who ate in x restaurant contracted shigella, or that their is an outbreak of pertussis) helps keep all of us safe. Parents with children who are too young to be immunized can make decisions about how to protect their babies, doctors can be on the look out for young children who might be carrying a disease they don't otherwise see to frequently, facilities that are contaminated can be cleaned appropriately.

I realize that answering these questions is a hassle, but this is something you do to help keep other children safe.

chocolate chips

Post Thu, Apr 25 2013, 1:33 pm
A person who has been vaccinated can carry it without getting any symptoms (b/c of the vaccination) but someone who is not vaccinated may pick it up from her.

Same way that someone who has measles can pass it onto someone else who had the vaccination, they may get a milder case but since the person who had measles had it so strong it obviously 'went through the barrier' of the vaccination.

Vaccinations are a prevention from the serious side of the 'illness'.
My nephew had the chicken pox vaccine, recently he came out with a few spots on his stmach that the dr said were cp. By the time he came home they were scabbed and gone the next day.

With all that said, my sister in law just told me that her neighbor is very anti vaccinations, her daughter and two grandchildren just got measles. Her daughter was hospitalized for it and suffered a miscarriage because of it.
I just don't get it.

I get that vaccinations can be unhealthy, they have some not such great things inside, but doesn't that outweigh the risks of dying?? I mean how many kids actually get autistic from having a vaccination, and if they did, how do you really know it was from that, how do you know it wouldn't have happened otherwise?
So you don't vaccinate and you affect not only your family but other people as well!!!!! Wouldn't you rather protect your child as best as you can?
venishmartem meod al nafshosechem....we have to do our hishtadlus!

eta: that when I write "YOU" I just mean it in general, I do not mean to attack anybody with any point of view different to my own, I am just so upset about my this neighbor (who I know too)...

Jewishmom8

Post Thu, Apr 25 2013, 3:43 pm
amother wrote:
I was vaccinated for Rubella more than once, and whenever I am pregnant, the tests come back that I am not immune

I have that also

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Apr 25 2013, 3:51 pm
I have an autistic child and am still planning to vaccinate any future children I'll IYH have.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 25 2013, 6:17 pm
What are the symptoms of measles?

Cookies n Cream

Post Thu, Apr 25 2013, 6:35 pm
Rash and fever.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 25 2013, 9:50 pm
oh my goodness!!!! This is a sick situation!!!! Did you notify the babysitter?? How did she react??

amother

Post Thu, Apr 25 2013, 10:14 pm
amother wrote:
oh my goodness!!!! This is a sick situation!!!! Did you notify the babysitter?? How did she react??

OP here- she freaked out!!!!
Dr.advised her to close down for a few days till the health department is done with the investigation.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 25 2013, 10:37 pm
hey! is this the whole measles hysteria at doctor diamonds office this week? I was there today and heard of a few cases!!

Cookies n Cream

Post Thu, Apr 25 2013, 10:39 pm
amother wrote:
hey! is this the whole measles hysteria at doctor diamonds office this week? I was there today and heard of a few cases!!

Yes, but it was not limited to Dr. Diamond's office only.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 25 2013, 10:48 pm
op- is your babysitter in trouble? did she close shop for good or only temporarily?

amother

Post Thu, Apr 25 2013, 10:49 pm
Is it contagious for you and your husband? Are you nursing? Will you be able to catch it from the baby?

amother

Post Thu, Apr 25 2013, 11:21 pm
amother wrote:

OP here- yes I use Dr.Diamond.
Some of the suspecting cases came back negative. Praying mine will also be negative.
And this is all over not only by Diamond.
BYBP sent home a note alerting the parents of measles & fifth disease too.

The babysitter closed temporary.

Measles is contagious. If u were vaccinated (MMR) u should not be getting it (unless ur pregnant, or on chemo or if ur immune system isn't working). But I can have the germ on me with no reaction since I'm vaccinated & I can god forbid pass it to someone who isn't Sad

Fabulous

Post Thu, Apr 25 2013, 11:22 pm
my ds had fifth's disease a few months ago. Bh he is fine. No clue how he got it.
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics