Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
I hate shabbos food!
1  2  3  Next

withhumor

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 1:45 pm
I love meat, I hate chicken and fish. My dh and kids love shabbos food and I feel so left out. I love gourmet food, and I love meat. My dh keeps telling me to make myself something so tha I can sit and eat by the meal (whatever it is!) so that he doesn’t have to watch me eat challah and dips and that’s all.

I don’t want to make soothing that is very un-shabbos’dig. My kids get annoyed, they don’t like to be different and they are embarrassed that in our house there’s a chicken salad by shabbos lunch,.

Traditionally, in our community, the meals menus are set in stone. After Kiddush we was for challah and have the fish (shabbos fish recipe). Then comes chicken soup and kugel and compote. In the morning it’s kidduh, challah, fish. Then comes the eggs and cholent and that’s the end. There’s no salads or fancy ‘baked’ fish variations.

I am so stuck, I want my spare ribs!

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 1:48 pm
I don't understand why you can't have that. I'm making ribs for dinner tonight. Why does fish always have to be gross gefilte fish? On the rare occassion that I make fish, it's some type of salmon recipe.

There's no reason why you have to eat this. I don't. Most of my friends don't.

withhumor

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 2:03 pm
Why? Because nobody does differently,. Everybody east the same old food every week and if I do anything different my kids are embarrassed. Let’s just say they like the routine and they are upset when it’s messed with.

How do you do the ribs anyway for shabbos? (I don’t go near fish in any shape or form)

brooklyn

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 2:03 pm
Set in stone by who?
Make what you want, Shabbos is supposed to be relaxing and enjoyable.

withhumor

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 2:09 pm
Would you want to be gorging on spar ribs while everyone is eating gefilte fish and chrain…?

amother

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 2:10 pm
Quote:
gross gefilte fish

Huh? I love gefilte fish

Quote:

Cause you and your friends are not in her community.

Anyway, withhumor, I think that even in your com. there is nothing wrong with having other foods in addition to the trad. ones. Many people have salads and meats too. Your kids could have their 'normal' foods and you could make for yourself what YOU like.

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 2:13 pm
withhumor wrote:
Why? Because nobody does differently,. Everybody east the same old food every week and if I do anything different my kids are embarrassed. Let’s just say they like the routine and they are upset when it’s messed with.

How do you do the ribs anyway for shabbos? (I don’t go near fish in any shape or form)

Why does chicken have to be the standard food? You can make shepherd's pie, spaghetti and meatballs, hamburgers, meatloaf, beef fajitas, etc. When I was a kid I was excited when we had tacos for lunch on shabbos.

Who cares if the kids are embarrassed. Are they preparing the food? It's a nice opportunity to teach them that Shabbos food isn't limited to gefilte fish and chicken. Most people get bored of eating the same thing from week to week and are ecstatic when presented with something that deviates from the norm.

I remember the first time I ate deli roll! I was so excited to eat something new and different, and now it's standard shabbos-fare in many homes.

Flowerchild

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 2:14 pm
so if you make something different for shabbat will you be ostracized?

I like our menu, we have meat for lunch sometimes on rare occasions we eat dafina, but thats rare and we dont have to eat fish for lunch but we do cause we like it, and its usually salmon or tilapia.

try making different fish other then gefilte fish, its not hard with a good recipe you can make a pretty good fish.

withhumor

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 2:17 pm
Forget fish because I don’t go near it… but meat, I’d love to play around with some real good cuts but I’m kind of worried that if I’ll sit there with my spinach knish, I’ll feel so weird and left out and my kids will have conniptions.

brooklyn

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 2:17 pm
If you are having guests then maybe I can understand that you want to make the standard menu. But, if it just your family, why can't you deviate from the menu a little. Why cant you serve stuffed cabbage, or brisket, also traditional shabbos food.

withhumor

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 2:18 pm
I would do a brisket. I don’t even know how! My mother never deviated…for as manay generations back as I know of!

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 2:20 pm
amother wrote:
Quote:
gross gefilte fish

Huh? I love gefilte fish

Quote:

Cause you and your friends are not in her community.

Who cares what the community does? Since when does community dictate what you're allowed to serve on shabbos? WithHumor should serve what she likes to eat, I'm sure others will enjoy the food as well.

People serve the same thing b/c they're unimaginative and don't want to take the time to come up with new menus, not because of food-laws.

(and P.S., I've lived in many different communities and have many types of friends, which very likely may live in those communities you speak of).

brooklyn

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 2:20 pm
Well it's time to break the mold, Try something different, the family might just like it.

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 2:22 pm
withhumor wrote:
Forget fish because I don’t go near it… but meat, I’d love to play around with some real good cuts but I’m kind of worried that if I’ll sit there with my spinach knish, I’ll feel so weird and left out and my kids will have conniptions.

Why do your kids care if you're eating something different than them? If they don't want to eat it, why do they care? What does experimenting with cuts of meat have to do with eating a spinach knish?

amother

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 2:28 pm
So make all the set in stone food And a few extras, more lavish meal. Tell them you are being machmir on the mitzvah of eating delacicys on Shabbos.

yoyosma

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 2:30 pm
I am sorry if this sounds harsh, but who is the parent here? Why are your children dictating what you are allowed to eat? You say your husband doesnt like that you dont eat, yet he doesnt chastise his children for forbidding their mother to eat 'deviant' (LOL) food?

I think when you have company, you follow the community menu (that sentence boggles my mind). But any other week you show who is boss and the boss chooses what everyone eats!!

anon

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 2:32 pm
Withhumor, I'm surprised that your community only eats very traditional foods on shabbas. Where I come from, it's pretty standard, and certainly a treat, to serve some yummy meat dish. The only reason many people don't is because it's much more expensive than chicken!

happyone

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 2:34 pm
Nothing wrong with adding extras. We have the traditional Shabbos meal + whatever in the world I'm in the mood of. That includes any salads, meat, side dishes etc...

amother

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 2:37 pm
Quote:
People serve the same thing b/c they're unimaginative and don't want to take the time to come up with new menus, not because of food-laws.

Not true, people make it because its the tradition, like making hamantashen for Purim, and cheesecake for shavuos. I make it because it is special shabbos food (and we happen to all love it). I would never make gefilta fish or potato kugel or ferfel in the weekday, and I cant imagine having meatballs and spaghetti on shabbos! I guess its the way you're brought up Yes

Again, I dont think she has to change her whole menu, she could just add to it. Nothing wrong with eating spare ribs while her family is eating chicken. Shabbos food is part of 'oneg shabbos' and if this will make her a greater oneg, then why not?

withhumor

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 2:45 pm
I honestly regret (slightly) not posting this in the Chasidisha Velt… before you judge, please accept that what I am saying is reality here. you have 200,000 chassidisha families eating the identical foods, in the same order, each week! In addition, these are the same people that eat the same things by a bris, wedding, etc. nobody serves chicken soup by a wedding because chicken soup is for shabbos! When e sick during the week, we got mushroom barley soup or potato soup, my mother never gave us chicken soup! Think before you say ‘why not, why can’t you’ because so it is here!

My best equivalent of my situation you your lifestyle would be “imagine wearing a denim 2 pc. To your child’s wedding because that’s what you are most comfortable in”…
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note