Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Toaster/convection oven help

shiffycc

Post Mon, May 06 2013, 2:23 pm
Yes, I know there have been other threads about toasters but I read them and they don't help.
My current countertop milchig oven is on its last legs(just in time for shavous!). Its the B&D one with the rounded back for a 12 inch pizza. In the six years since I have had it my family has grown B"H, and id really like to get the kind that can fit 2 9x13 pans at a time. There seems to be at least 2 different ones out there, a hamilton beach and an oster,perhaps? (Don't ask me to post a link - I am totally incapable of anything technological.) My question is, does anybody have one of these? This would be my only milchig oven and my only toaster. I see that in some of the reviews of these things, it says that it doesn't have a toast settting. Does that matter? Can it really not toast a bagel for my kids? Or is it just annoying?(If so, how annoying?) I suppose that I could *possibly* get a small pop up toaster, but aside from the expense, I have very little space on my milchig counter top. I could just replace it with the one I have(if they still make it) but like I said, I could relly use the space to make a baked zziti and garlic breat. Or 2 lasagnes. Also, do I want convection, do I not want convection, or does it not matter either way.
Any input or advice is appreciated.
(Can you tell I don't spend this much money often? Smile )

Last edited by shiffycc on Tue, May 07 2013, 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total

shiffycc

Post Mon, May 06 2013, 9:18 pm
At the risk of sounding desperate for your advice about something that does not affect klal yisroel in any way,shape,or form....

Bump?

precious

Post Mon, May 06 2013, 9:31 pm
you want convection if you will be using as your sole milchig oven. a regular toaster will not bake things evenly.
I don't see why you need a "toast" feature, you can just toast a bagel or bread by baking on 350, it just won't be as crisp
I would compare your two choices on amazon or similar sites by reading the reviews

finprof

Post Mon, May 06 2013, 9:35 pm
We have a smaller Hamilton Beach as our dairy oven. The convection is great- it cooks faster. The toasting works fine.

shiffycc

Post Tue, May 07 2013, 11:53 am
finprof wrote:
We have a smaller Hamilton Beach as our dairy oven. The convection is great- it cooks faster. The toasting works fine.

does it have a toast setting? Or no?

shiffycc

Post Tue, May 07 2013, 1:40 pm
precious wrote:
you want convection if you will be using as your sole milchig oven. a regular toaster will not bake things evenly.
I don't see why you need a "toast" feature, you can just toast a bagel or bread by baking on 350, it just won't be as crisp
I would compare your two choices on amazon or similar sites by reading the reviews

I did compare reviews and the only negetive thing was the lack of a toast feature. But I wanted a frum perspective as it makes a difference that it is my milchig oven. I really wanted to know if people find you can make toast anyways. I don't think on amazon they can understand my need for something which fits 2 9x13s.(im actually not sure why they even make such a thing...)

greenfire

Post Tue, May 07 2013, 9:46 pm
http://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-C.....16177

http://www.amazon.com/General-.....6DYK4

it's cheaper at walmart [do they have a walmart in your time zone]

I'm not sure if these are the same oven ... but I'm pretty picky and happy enough with a GE [was hooked on black & decker for years] ... I know I know it says rotisserie & you might think 'what can use make on a milky rotisserie' - nothing - but everything else is pretty good ... once you learn how to use it - for toast I put it on the top shelf on broil and flip it or else the toast just doesn't get browned - but it has 3 shelves is quite roomy bakes evenly without burning [needs a bit more time baking] - has a timer & I can have a double-decker pizza going on

shiffycc

Post Tue, May 07 2013, 10:37 pm
greenfire wrote:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-Convection-Toaster-Oven/12016177

http://www.amazon.com/General-.....6DYK4

it's cheaper at walmart [do they have a walmart in your time zone]

I'm not sure if these are the same oven ... but I'm pretty picky and happy enough with a GE [was hooked on black & decker for years] ... I know I know it says rotisserie & you might think 'what can use make on a milky rotisserie' - nothing - but everything else is pretty good ... once you learn how to use it - for toast I put it on the top shelf on broil and flip it or else the toast just doesn't get browned - but it has 3 shelves is quite roomy bakes evenly without burning [needs a bit more time baking] - has a timer & I can have a double-decker pizza going on

Looks good greenfire. Im comin over for pizza and a coffee...
can it fit 9x13? 2 9x13s?or no 9x13s?

Im thinkin that only you could crack me up in a thread about toaster ovens.

greenfire

Post Tue, May 07 2013, 11:12 pm
I don't really use a 9 x 13 but I tried it for you ... seems to fit if you squish the top side edge ... but omg my dd just said mom it fits with the 13" inward :arrow: & she is correct ... it can even fit 2 yet I'm not sure if there's sufficient circulation for them to cook ... I guess that experiment is on you

the pizzas are not my best ones - but yummy & they're 9"

shiffycc

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 1:18 am
greenfire wrote:
I don't really use a 9 x 13 but I tried it for you ... seems to fit if you squish the top side edge ... but omg my dd just said mom it fits with the 13" inward :arrow: & she is correct ... it can even fit 2 yet I'm not sure if there's sufficient circulation for them to cook ... I guess that experiment is on you

the pizzas are not my best ones - but yummy & they're 9"

Dd sounds like a clever one....

greenfire

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 11:49 am
shiffycc wrote:

Dd sounds like a clever one....

the worst part is that I was out of town and kashered aka self-cleaned my big oven because she made something milky in a 9 x 13 and I didn't see any crimps so I didn't believe her embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed

greenfire

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 12:00 pm
model #169220 53

found the box and it's on the oven ... so there you go

but don't blame me if you don't like it Twisted Evil
I will of course accept praise if you do Not worthy

also wanted to say that I dangerously used my old toaster that had an electrical short for way longer than I should have [several times each year before pesach we were gonna dump it but couldn't] because I had trouble finding a good one for a reasonable price

greenfire

Post Thu, May 23 2013, 3:45 pm
@shiffycc ~ have you bought your new toaster oven yet ... how's it workin'

shiffycc

Post Fri, May 24 2013, 10:40 am
I did! I got one that was a little bit bigger than yours. It came erev shavous, just in time to toivel the pieces and make my yummy milchig coffee cake! Its great. Since its so big I needed to find a new home for it, since I don't want it to send my top cabinets up in flames. But I hope we will have a long and happy life together. Smile
thanks for asking!

greenfire

Post Fri, May 24 2013, 11:07 am
amen !!! לחיים Drunken Smile

happy to be me

Post Wed, Sep 11 2013, 11:54 am
shiffycc wrote:
I did! I got one that was a little bit bigger than yours. It came erev shavous, just in time to toivel the pieces and make my yummy milchig coffee cake! Its great. Since its so big I needed to find a new home for it, since I don't want it to send my top cabinets up in flames. But I hope we will have a long and happy life together. Smile
thanks for asking!

I know this is an old post, but I am looking for a toaster that also fits a 9x13 pan. Which one did you end up getting and are you happy with it?

greenfire

Post Wed, Sep 11 2013, 1:44 pm
I see you found it ... & now I'm hungry for pizza Tongue Out

happy to be me

Post Wed, Sep 11 2013, 2:36 pm
greenfire wrote:
I see you found it ... & now I'm hungry for pizza Tongue Out

yeah, I found it Smile so I guess that means you're making pizza for supper tonight.

shiffycc

Post Thu, Sep 12 2013, 2:22 am
Reasonably happy with it, but ill have to look and see what it is in the morning...feel free to remind me if I don't get back to you
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics