Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Which Addiction Is Better?

lotte

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 10:37 am
I had this discussion with my dh this morning ...I want to know your opinion.My cousin is totally addicted to the gym-she spends 4-5 hours EVERY SINGLE DAY! Plus she has 2 walking-partners for Shabbos(1 for Friday second for Saturday..) we all agree it is an addiction,but I told my dh her addiction is better than mine.my addiction to food.I love to eat (like many women here at imamother..)Im over-weight..I think at least she gets positive results(being energetic,skinny,healthy)and I sit here all day eating junk food of all kinds.
Which addiction is better?

amother

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 10:47 am
can it be an indication of an eating disorder?
what are her eating habits?

shayna82

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 10:53 am
addiction to anything is not good. moderation is the key. 4-5 hours seems like a lot to go to the gym. on the other hand, is she complaining to you?
that may be her goal and her life now, to loose weight and im all for that, and I can understand. I personally go for an hour and a half three days a week. for me, thats the norm.

unless she is immaciated and her doctors arent happy with her status, I dont see how that is worse then being overweight, which IS a health concern, especialy for woman.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 11:17 am
If she's not working, I don't see the problem with it, unless, as Shayna82 said, it's indicative of an eating disorder. If she's going to the gym b/c she has nothing else to do and enjoys it, there's really no issue.

Is it hurting her shalom bayis? Is she neglecting certain duties? If not, and this is just a recreational activity for her (no eating disorder), then I don't think it's problematic.

It's definitely better than sitting in front of a computer several hours a day!

PinkandYellow

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 11:42 am
eating is definitely the better addiction. at least its fun!

elkayed

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 11:43 am
Working out 4-5 hours a day is nuts! A body can't handle losing that many calories a day. She is addicted and probably not eating too much either.

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 11:48 am
There's definately a balance to everything in life - but could it be that is why she is skinny and "we" are not?

amother

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 11:48 am
I am a compulsive eater and I have joined a program for food addicts.
they say that a complusive eater (which is in the same family as anorexic/blumia....) ofen does excive exercise.
we are told to work out 1 hour a day of moderate work outs.

both addictions are bad the difference is that you are aware of your addiction and it seems like she is not.

sc

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 4:53 pm
amother do you mind saying which program for food addicts I'm also part of one (is it a 12 step) you can pm me

hey its me

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 8:11 pm
w/out knowing her full story wat she eats etc cant say 4 sure but deff sounds like some sort of a addiction!

1hr a day ok fine but 4-5 hrs a day brings back memories of my anorexic days not healthy at all!!

and the fact that she has a walking partner shabbas as well is kinda saying IM ADDICTED I need 2 work out EVERY day!!

the 1st step 2 recovery is admitting one has a problem.... gluck

cassandra

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 8:14 pm
Excersizing that much is usually considered a form of anorexia.

MyKidsRQte

Post Thu, Feb 22 2007, 1:11 am
I like the food addiction better Wink
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise