Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more
When and how ?

amother

Post Wed, Jun 19 2013, 10:46 am
When and how did you find out? How did you react? Was your DH there? and what was his reaction?

RachelEve14

Post Wed, Jun 19 2013, 12:15 pm
I found out at around 7 weeks (first ultrasound). Dh wasn't with me. I called him and told him. He said "what" about 15 times but B"H we were both thrilled.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 19 2013, 12:39 pm
I found out thru a sonogram late in my pregnancy I skipped having earlier ultrasounds . my doctor only heard one heart beat and did not bother to listen for a second immediately after that I had a ultrasound I was told a was having twins . I thought they were kidding . I was later told my twins were mono amnionic but after I delivered I was told that was not the case .

mandksima

Post Wed, Jun 19 2013, 2:30 pm
At 6 or 7 weeks, dr said, "oh, I see two!" then "oh, wait, no , there are three! You're having triplets!" Dr looked at me and saw me smile widely from ear to ear and then she looked at dh, who was white as a ghost and asked him if he needed to sit down. It took a while for dh to snap back to reality.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 19 2013, 4:05 pm
Is it possible to tell if it is twins without an ultrasound? In other words, if someone suspects she is having twins, would the doctor be able to search and find 2 heartbeats?

(for those that don't do routine ultrasounds)

amother

Post Wed, Jun 19 2013, 5:12 pm
amother wrote:
Is it possible to tell if it is twins without an ultrasound? In other words, if someone suspects she is having twins, would the doctor be able to search and find 2 heartbeats?

Definately more accurate through ultrasound, but you might hear two heartbeats, and suspect it, but then have it confirmed thru ultrasound.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 19 2013, 5:39 pm
My doctor missed it - he heard only one heart beat .
WE only found out thru a sonogram we were having twins late in the pregnancy.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 19 2013, 8:36 pm
We found out at around eight weeks- Dr. saw one and then a minute later he said it looks like theres a surprise today. My DH was with me and was watching on the screen and thought he saw 2 also... we were completely shocked for quite some time after. Right away they told us they were identicle twins.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 19 2013, 8:49 pm
how do the doctors know they are identical twins before they are born unless they are mono amniotic?
(sharing one sac) we found out our twins were identical after they were born.

mummy-bh

Post Thu, Jun 20 2013, 1:37 am
amother wrote:

I don't do 'routine ultrasounds'

When I was 12 weeks pregnant with my twins I went to my midwife for a routine check-up. She measured me and told me I was measuring 14-15 weeks. I was sure of my dates, so she recommended I go for a u/s to see if I was carrying twins. I asked her what the benefits were to knowing, and she explained that the care in a twin pregnancy would be different to a singleton (I already had 6 kids) so it was important to be aware.

My Rav said this was NOT a 'routine ultrasound', and I should definitely do it.

I ended up having an ultrasound every two weeks as we were at risk for developing TTTS, none of which were 'routine'.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 20 2013, 1:04 pm
amother wrote:
how do the doctors know they are identical twins before they are born unless they are mono amniotic?
(sharing one sac) we found out our twins were identical after they were born.

I'm the amother with the identicle twins from above-

Thats exactly how they knew- they were mono amniotic- and saw right away!

amother

Post Thu, Jun 20 2013, 1:10 pm
im sorry you went thru that - some women have to spend many weeks in the hospital to be monitored
for that ,and must need a c section and have premies

amother

Post Thu, Jun 20 2013, 1:12 pm
what month were you in when they saw no seperating membrane?

amother

Post Thu, Jun 20 2013, 1:30 pm
I found out I was pregnant and then a week later I was pregnant with twins. I was only about 4 weeks pregnant, I went to the doctor because I had bad cramps and thought I was miscarrying. She took a sono and the next day told me over the phone 'it looks like there's 2 sacks'.

Oh boy was I shocked! No twins anywhere in my family, or my husbands family. I waited until my husband came home from work that day and told him through laughter and crying and laughter. He went out, bought a pie of pizza, came home and ate the whole pie himself. Then we sat down to talk. Wasn't the healthiest way to deal with the news....but B'H hes a great father.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more