Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more
What are causes of the higher rates of naturally conceived
1  2  3  Next

tissues

Post Fri, Jun 21 2013, 12:23 pm
multiples?

What do you think could be causing the increase of naturally conceived multiples, especially, twins in the last two decades?

I have a few theories. Would love to hear what others think.

busydev

Post Fri, Jun 21 2013, 12:44 pm
1. Older mothers are more likely to drop more eggs. People are getting pregnant older these days.

2. if 1 out of every 80 pregnancies result in natural twins (quoting a stat that was put up here yesterday) then more pregnancies=more twins. Whatever the exact stat is tho- the more pregnancies the more chances. and overall families have been getting larger (in the orthodox world)

3. something in the air. like pollution Wink ok that im making up lol.

4. medical advances means that more twins who are born early or with issues (or twin pregnancies that have issues) are surviving.

mandr

Post Fri, Jun 21 2013, 12:46 pm
My mother always said that since Moshiach is around the corner, all the babies have to be born already so Hashem is doling out more twins!

tissues

Post Fri, Jun 21 2013, 12:59 pm
busydev wrote:
1. Older mothers are more likely to drop more eggs. People are getting pregnant older these days.

2. if 1 out of every 80 pregnancies result in natural twins (quoting a stat that was put up here yesterday) then more pregnancies=more twins. Whatever the exact stat is tho- the more pregnancies the more chances. and overall families have been getting larger (in the orthodox world)

3. something in the air. like pollution Wink ok that im making up lol.

4. medical advances means that more twins who are born early or with issues (or twin pregnancies that have issues) are surviving.

Have you considered something in the food?

Lady Bug

Post Fri, Jun 21 2013, 1:33 pm
Definitely something in the food. The chickens and cows are injected with a bunch of hormones and we ingest traces of those hormones along with our chicken, eggs, meat and milk.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Jun 21 2013, 2:09 pm
And there are also hormones in some cosmetics.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 21 2013, 2:14 pm
Many things that have been suggested have also been linked to the high rates of infertility.

busydev

Post Fri, Jun 21 2013, 2:34 pm
fertility treatments (not naturally conceived) and older women (naturally conceived) are the cause of the rise in twin births according to this article. there are charts and stuff if you are able to open it up.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01.....?_r=0

Quote:
From 1980 to 2009, according to a recent report by the National Center for Health Statistics, the rate of twin births rose 76 percent. Now about one in 30 babies born in the United States is a twin.

Two-thirds of the increase is probably explained by the growing use of fertility drugs and assisted reproductive technology. The remainder is mainly attributable to a rise in the average age at which women give birth.

Older women are more likely to produce more than one egg in a cycle, and 35 percent of births in 2009 were to women over age 30, up from 20 percent in 1980. This age-induced increase applies only to fraternal twins, though; the rate of identical twin births does not change with the age of the mother.

From 1980 through 2004, increases in twin birth rates averaged more than 2 percent a year, but from 2004 to 2009, the increase slowed to 1 percent annually. Joyce A. Martin, the lead author of the report, suggested that better techniques in fertility enhancement procedures may have made multiple births less likely.

Twin births have historically been more common among non-Hispanic black women, but rates among white women have risen faster. In 2009, twin birth rates were similar in the two groups: 38 per 1,000 births for black women and 37 for white women. Hispanic women had twins at a rate of 22.5 per 1,000 births.

In 2009, American women had 137,217 babies born as twins, 5,905 as triplets, 355 as quadruplets, and 80 in births of five or more.

Ms. Martin, an epidemiologist at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said multiple births can be problematic. “Babies in twin deliveries tend to be born earlier,” she said. “They’re more likely to need hospitalization and more likely not to survive their first year.”

But she added, “It is important to note that although twins are at higher risk, most twins do fine in the long term.”

Cookies n Cream

Post Fri, Jun 21 2013, 3:33 pm
Lady Bug wrote:
Definitely something in the food. The chickens and cows are injected with a bunch of hormones and we ingest traces of those hormones along with our chicken, eggs, meat and milk.

In Israel ( R BSH?) they traced it back to the chicken feed a few years ago.

In my community, there are tons of young women having twins around a year after their Chasuna. I wonder if it's from the bc pills given before the wedding to regulate the cycle. In one Small grade of a certain school I think there, were at least 4 ppl having multiples.

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Jun 21 2013, 3:40 pm
More women take birth control pills. When it's stopped, esp after a long time, the ovaries often overcompensate and ovulate multiple eggs.

There is also an oral supplement women were taking in the frum communities to 'nurse clean' which caused multiple ovulations....

bamamama

Post Fri, Jun 21 2013, 3:41 pm
In Canada the use of RBSH is prohibited. I wonder if the twins rate has gone up here. I suspect it's a combo of factors and to add to the list I'll say that all the chemical scents in our personal and household care products (shampoo, conditioner, dish soap, laundry detergent, etc.) mimic estrogen in the body - yet another way we are messing with hormones.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 21 2013, 3:51 pm
identical twins rates are the same 1-250 births
better health care before the babys are born -some women are in the hospital months before the twins are born - monoamnionic twins (twins in the same sac) or tts
better health care after the twins are born in the icu for weeks
preemies
early sonograms to detect problems

tissues

Post Fri, Jun 21 2013, 4:19 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
More women take birth control pills. When it's stopped, esp after a long time, the ovaries often overcompensate and ovulate multiple eggs.

There is also an oral supplement women were taking in the frum communities to 'nurse clean' which caused multiple ovulations....

Mega Milk.

However, the link was never proven... (reminds me of something else.... Wink )

Last edited by tissues on Fri, Jun 21 2013, 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Fri, Jun 21 2013, 4:20 pm
Bc pills cause multiples.

Also years ago people suffering from infertility didn't have kids now b"h with medical advances there are many twins born through treatments.

tissues

Post Fri, Jun 21 2013, 4:23 pm
I found this
http://www.justmommies.com/art.....shtml
Make of it what you want, but more women these days are aware of the importance of taking folic acid and many more are nursing.

tissues

Post Fri, Jun 21 2013, 4:25 pm
amother wrote:
Bc pills cause multiples.

Also years ago people suffering from infertility didn't have kids now b"h with medical advances there are many twins born through treatments.

This thread is specifically talking about NATURALLY conceived twins with NO treatment. I think I remember mentioning that somewhere someplace about 100 years ago in my op... Very Happy

amother

Post Fri, Jun 21 2013, 4:30 pm
fertileheart.com eating yams at the right time may cause faternal twins .

Cookies n Cream

Post Fri, Jun 21 2013, 5:53 pm
bamamama wrote:
In Canada the use of RBSH is prohibited. I wonder if the twins rate has gone up here. I suspect it's a combo of factors and to add to the list I'll say that all the chemical scents in our personal and household care products (shampoo, conditioner, dish soap, laundry detergent, etc.) mimic estrogen in the body - yet another way we are messing with hormones.

What RBSH ?

I was trying to write Ramat Beit Shemesh but I'm on a phone so it doesn't always come out the way I intended .. )

amother

Post Fri, Jun 21 2013, 5:58 pm
Mama Bear wrote:

I have heard this from a dr. and seen it by a few faimly members and friends after they decided to take a break.

tissues

Post Fri, Jun 21 2013, 6:02 pm
amother wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:

I have heard this from a dr. and seen it by a few faimly members and friends after they decided to take a break.

So why isn't this information more widespread? I also know someone like this.

Why do women mess up their systems like this? Maybe they want those multiples Rolling Eyes (re the other thread)

Is this listed as a side effect of these bc pills?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more