Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Burning challa dough
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Meema2Kids

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 1:10 pm
From Guidelines: Questions and Answers about the laws of Candle Lighting and Separating Challah by R Elozar Barclay and R Yitzchok Jaeger

Quote:
130. How should one destroy the challah?
The custom is to burn it. However, if one feels that this is difficult, he may wrap it in a plastic bag and throw it into the garbage.

132. Why is it difficult to burn challah?
Burning challah must be done with care, since the piece of challah is sanctified, and is forbidden to be eaten like treif food. Therefore, anything that it touches while it is hot become treif and requires kashering, just as one must kasher a utensil that touches hot treif food.

133. Which method of buring is recommended?
The challah may be burned on the flames of a gas stove. It shoudl be placed on a piece of foil or in a tin can. The challah should not be placed directly on the ceramic burner or the grate since these would become treif from the hot challah.

142. What if the challah was burned in the oven at the same time as the remaining dough?
If the challah touched the food, one inch of the food is treif and must be removed.
If the food was baked on the same tray or pan as the challah but did not touch the challah, the bottom layer of the food is treif.
If they were baked in different trays, the food is kosher.

Also says it's difficult to burn in the oven because you'd have to wrap it and it's hard to get it to go completely to ashes.

shalhevet

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 1:12 pm
greenfire wrote:
hullo - the challah already has the same taste ...

It's the halachic taste, whether or not you can taste it.
If someone boils milk in a clean pot they used three hours earlier for meaty goulash, can you taste the goulash? But it's treif.

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 1:13 pm
IT's not "taste" the way we know taste today. It's a halachic principal in kashrus. Possibly, hundreds of years ago, the difference in kosher vs. nonkosher tastes was noticeable. I've read sources that said kohanim could taste the difference between food that had terumah taken vs. not.

withhumor

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 1:46 pm
I never heard of ‘spoiled boro parkers’ giving it away (huh?) but I keep them in the freezer and once a year we make a big bag and throw it in the fire with the chometz.. isn’t that what it’s about? May we soon be zoche to give it to the Kohanim!

rainbow baby

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 2:04 pm
What's a broiler? Thanks for bringing this up I was wondering the same.

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 2:04 pm
what about bitul b'shishim

shalhevet

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 2:35 pm
greenfire wrote:
what about bitul b'shishim

what about batul b'shishim?? Question
What do you mean?

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 2:50 pm
if you said it's like treif - there is a bitul b'shishim thing so why wouldn't it apply here - let's say you do bake it but oven aroma is now like bitul b'shishim?

rainbow baby

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 2:53 pm
Funny this has come up know I'am jsut in the middle of doing this. A quick question how burnt does the dough need to be? Does it need to be burnt just on the outside or alll the way through?

Meema2Kids

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 3:01 pm
The source I quoted says (in another place) that it needs to be ASHES.

rainbow baby

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 3:04 pm
Thanks I think I'am nearly there, can you then throw it in the bin?

shalhevet

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 3:05 pm
greenfire wrote:
if you said it's like treif - there is a bitul b'shishim thing so why wouldn't it apply here - let's say you do bake it but oven aroma is now like bitul b'shishim?

Even if it is batul b'shishim you can't do it deliberately. Like you can't pour a drop of milk into your chicken soup, even if the volume of the soup is more than 60 times the amount.

And I don't think it has anything to do with the aroma. I don't know how it works here, but you might have to have 60 times the volume of the sides which have absorbed the taste. I don't really think it has anything to do with this case.

Meema2Kids

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 3:12 pm
jewishmamathebest wrote:
Thanks I think I'am nearly there, can you then throw it in the bin?

Yes just throw it away, to be safe I always wrap it up before throwing it in the trash.

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 3:19 pm
shalhevet wrote:

It is assur to eat, so it will be nosen ta'am (give it's taste) into the challa. It's like cooking a piece of treif meat at the same time as you bake your challas.

is the taam not gotten from the aroma

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 3:21 pm
shalhevet wrote:

It is assur to eat, so it will be nosen ta'am (give it's taste) into the challa. It's like cooking a piece of treif meat at the same time as you bake your challas.

is the taam not gotten from the aroma
and if the aroma remains in oven even though "challah" already burned does this qualify as bitul bshishim

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 5:14 pm
My Rav said you can burn it in the oven, but make sure it's not at the same time that any thing is cooking. I asked on more than one occasion, because in between I heard different opinions, and I wanted to make sure.

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 7:12 pm
TzenaRena wrote:
My Rav said you can burn it in the oven, but make sure it's not at the same time that any thing is cooking. I asked on more than one occasion, because in between I heard different opinions, and I wanted to make sure.

thanks TR - I feel better now - cause I never heard of this before and I usually burn the "challah" before I bake - but now I am curious as to what my rav says too.

LubavitchLeah

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 7:27 pm
Somebody asked the question on what DEGREE it needs to be burned? I use my oven , double wrapped in foil or sometimes on a pan double wrapped but I NEVER get ashes, its usualy still a hard small blackish ball.
I always feel unsure about throwing it in the garbage, like why would one throw a korban in the garbage?
I need to ask a shaila on this one. What do others' know about degree, and it going in garbage if its not ashes?

hila

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 9:39 pm
I was taught that you should double wrap the burned piece (rather like we do with the shmitta peels) as a kavod action and then throw it in the garbage.

As for ashes - mine is a black lump. I never learned about ashes.

Purm sameach

MyKidsRQte

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 9:41 pm
spoiled boro parkers?

y, if we burn our challah by Biur Chametz does that make us spoiled? I was told its a minhag to keep the dough and burn it on Erev Peisach
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen