Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Shabbos Clothing For Preschooler

amother

Post Wed, Jul 17 2013, 4:41 pm
I need some ideas please. I bought only one Shabbos outfit for my 3 year old son because I could not afford to buy another. He has now outgrown the pants and stained the shirt. He was wearing weekday clothing the past few weeks because I could not buy new things, but now that Tisha B'Av is over, I need to get something. What should I do now? I feel stuck. Half the summer is over, which means he will not get that much use out of whatever I buy for him, but it's still way too hot to dress him in long pants and shirts, so I can't buy anything suitable for fall. I do not need anything fancy, just presentable, easily washable, Shabbos clothing.

I would like to get two outfits this time, but I cannot afford to pay $40 each. What do you think is a reasonable amount of money to spend on two outifts for the rest of the summer/beginning of the fall?Where can I find him appropriate and affordable clothing? All suggestions welcome! Please do not respond with "try Target or Old Navy or Children's Place" because although I have gone to all those stores many times, I almost never find anything on sale that is worth buying, especially for Shabbos. If you have a links to specific items that are currently available though, that's different and would be much appreciated. I can go to Jewish stores, but I can't pay $20 each for a pair of pants and a shirt which will only be of mediocre looks and quality anyway.

Thanks in advance for your help everyone.
(I am posting anonymously because I am embarrassed to be in this situation.)

GetReal

Post Wed, Jul 17 2013, 4:50 pm
Can you give us an idea of what you consider appropriate? My sons want to look just like Tatty and wear these shirts every Shabbos.
http://www.boytique.com/boys/s......html

rachel6543

Post Wed, Jul 17 2013, 4:52 pm
You might want to try eBay. It's hit or miss there. I've gotten my son Shabbos clothes once or twice on there. I didn't pay more than $10-15 for a whole outfit, including shipping.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 17 2013, 4:59 pm
Old Navy shorts

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/.....16604

and polos

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/.....36943

20% off now, so you come in under $40. And he can wear the polos under a sweater when it gets cooler.

bananasplit

Post Wed, Jul 17 2013, 5:05 pm
You might be able to find inexpensive cute stuff in macys (with coupons ), century or h&m.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Jul 17 2013, 5:45 pm
I like to buy long sleeve button down shirts and roll the sleeves up as needed in the summer. That way it lasts longer than one season.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 17 2013, 6:16 pm
OP here. Thanks for your ideas everyone, keep them coming!

GetReal - by appropriate I guess I mean not a t-shirt and cargo shorts. One outfit that consists of a white polo shirt with nice striped or plaid shorts is fine. I would prefer if the other outfit is a little bit more formal. Maybe a button down shirt, though it doesn't have to just be white.

MBV - I tried that already, but my son just tries to pull the sleeves down and ends up looking very messy.

rachel6543

Post Wed, Jul 17 2013, 6:41 pm
Some ideas:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kitest.....t_958

http://www.ebay.com/itm/boys-3.....t_958

mommy12345

Post Wed, Jul 17 2013, 6:41 pm
try h&m (u cant buy online)
they have nice shirts and shorts

mamaleh

Post Wed, Jul 17 2013, 9:01 pm
If you are in or near Lakewood, Fashion Wholesalers (Grebow shopping center) is having a MAJOR Sale. I was looking for girls but I heard people mentioning $5 & $10 boys stuff. it might be worth looking.

You can also try Target or Walmart- they are starting to bring in uniform shorts & polos- that might work for you.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Jul 17 2013, 9:17 pm
this type of thing is very nice looking and is fairly versatile. if the kid stains the vest, the shirt is still good. they wash well, ime, and they generally don't need ironing.

http://www.cookieskids.com/Pro.....01477

I've found these in different colors at sears in the clearance section, too. I once paid $10 for a "holiday" set. (it came with a nice gray shirt and a wine-colored velour vest. it was adorable.) when my son was that age, I think I had four sets in different colors. that's all he wore on shabbos, and he LOVED the ties.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Jul 17 2013, 9:19 pm
sweater sets are also cute:

http://www.sears.com/jonathan-.....ender|Boys^Set%20Style|Pants%20sets&prdNo=43&blockNo=43&blockType=G43

curiousgeorge1

Post Wed, Jul 17 2013, 10:41 pm
Definitely h and m. They have nice button downs for about $10 and pants and short are $10-20. Unfortunately you can't buy online.

Other ideas:
These gap polo shirts are great and $7
m.gap.com/product .html? dn=gp329058032&dv=0&shopid=0&pdn=gc49692
And these shorts are $13
m.gap.com/product.html?dn=gp409068002&dv=0&shopid=0&pdn=gc6365

In general gap has 25-40% off sales very often so sign up for their emails so u get the codes.

a1mom

Post Wed, Jul 17 2013, 10:44 pm
I always used to get at least one outfit from gap- usually the roll up linen pants and a matching linen shirt. or striped shorts and a polo. I soak all the stuff immediately after shabbos and use alot of elbow grease. By the time september hits the stuff is usually shot... also be aware that the yomim tovim this year are all in september which tends to be hot at least in NY it does, with all the three day yomim tovim you are going to need some summer stuff anyway, everyone is having sales now its a great time to shop.

curiousgeorge1

Post Wed, Jul 17 2013, 10:49 pm
Also I personally feel that the quality at gap is superior, but children's ace sometimes has good stuff.

Like these shorts sleeve button downs for $12

m.childrensplace.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10001_-1_1036340_927687_26601%7C135053_boy%7Cshort%20sleeve%20tops_boy

m.childrensplace.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10001_-1_1039738_927663_24651%7C134818_baby%20boy%7Cshort%20sleeve%20tops_babyboy

And these shorts are under $10
m.childrensplace.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10001_-1_1036058_927666_24651%7C545048_baby%20boy%7Cshorts_babyboy

If you think you need to spend $40 on a shabbos outfit you are going to the wrong stores Smile That is what I spend when I splurge! And most of my son's shabbos clothes are from gap and h&m...

sped

Post Thu, Jul 18 2013, 12:07 am
I find that with summer clothes, I can buy a bit big and it still looks fine (though the waist may be a problem). The shorts are just a bit longer as are the sleeves. DS wears some of his summer clothing for two seasons, or part of each.

busydev

Post Thu, Jul 25 2013, 4:13 pm
I found shirt, vest and pants or short sets at Burlington for under $20. I think closer to $15. similar stores to look at are TJ Maxx and Marshalls. since the summer season is over acc to retailers you may find summer clothing cheaper/on clearance.

I also have had success at second hand stores where they sell new looking clothing for almost nothing ($8 for an outfit or $3.50-$4.50 for a top or bottom)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics