Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Rags vs. paper towels

shirtsandskirts

Post Fri, Aug 02 2013, 11:15 am
I use a lot of paper towels and would like to cut out and use more rags to clean the kitchen and dining areas and such. What do I do when there are pieces of food to pick up- then Just throw the rag in the laundr? It will stink all the other clothes. How do I use rags in the most efficient way?

greenfire

Post Fri, Aug 02 2013, 12:05 pm
can you set aside a bucket with soapy water & baking soda to soak the rags in ... oh & wash them separately

the food or stuff should be shaken into the garbage before soaking

happybeingamom

Post Fri, Aug 02 2013, 12:40 pm
I do a separate wash for rags

zaq

Post Fri, Aug 02 2013, 1:05 pm
Rinse the rags out by hand and hang to dry if they're full of material that can spoil, then throw in a wash machine when you either have enough rags to justify a small load or run out of rags. Rags that are just dusty or grimy, you can throw in a bin or a bag without rinsing first.

Rags that are full of really putrid stuff like feces or vomit, I throw out after wrapping in a plastic bag to keep the smell down. I flatter myself that I'm not a wimp, and I suppose I'd try to clean off something like a suit that got puked on (before sending to the dry cleaners), but I draw the line at forcing myself to endure the process of cleaning truly disgusting stuff off something that is slated for the trash heap, anyway.

granolamom

Post Sat, Aug 03 2013, 10:45 pm
I have a separate hamper for dirty rags and I wash them separately.
I shake out food particles before tossing the rags in the hamper.

If I have a really messy spill (like raw eggs) I will reach for the paper towels. very oily spills too. I have a ton of rags so in a pinch (like the vomit example above) I will toss the rags in the garbage.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 04 2013, 7:33 pm
I wash rags separately.
But in general, I try to sweep the crumbs and food into the garbage before I wet the surface and use a rag or paper towel.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry