Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Lag Baomer
1  2  Next

gryp

Post Mon, May 16 2005, 2:12 pm
Lag Baomer is in a week and a half!
any special plans this year?
are everyones plans ruined because it comes out on a Friday?

Sunshine

Post Mon, May 16 2005, 5:20 pm
We will make a bbq for the community on Thurs night. Can't wait to listen to the music!!! Music I got a built in one man band Very Happy

Chanie

Post Tue, May 17 2005, 1:30 pm
Sunshine wrote:
Can't wait to listen to the music!!!

www.shmais.com has shmais radio with accupella (how ever it's spelled)and negunnim... something to listen to in the house.

Tovah

Post Tue, May 17 2005, 2:12 pm
everyone can celebrate thursday night.
I love lag baomer-maybe thats b/c it's our anniversary LOL LOL LOL

Sunshine

Post Tue, May 17 2005, 3:47 pm
Chanie wrote:
Sunshine wrote:
Can't wait to listen to the music!!!

www.shmais.com has shmais radio with accupella (how ever it's spelled)and negunnim... something to listen to in the house.

I do listen to it, but it isn't the same as real music. It sounds so fake, but I guess it is better than nothing. My house runs on music, that is the only way we can servive and get things done! I am fortunate that my husband is very talented music wise and he plays beautifully by ear(runs in his family).

proudmom

Post Thu, May 26 2005, 5:56 pm
mms://stream.netro.ca/videoeden

live from meron

Pearl

Post Fri, May 27 2005, 3:25 am
here is a message I received in my mail box this morning. I don't know Mindy, but I treasure the woman who sent it to me!
Happy Lag B'omer to all!

"Dear friends, Tonight and Friday until sunset is Lag B'Omer, the 33rd day of the Counting of the Omer. Interesting enough, the 33rd word in the Holy Torah is Tov, which means good. In the counting of the Omer the 33rd day is the meditation upon the sephira of Hod in Hod. Hod means glory, splendor, and it is associated with the quality of humility because it allows what is to shine through. That is why the most humble people are filled with the greatest spiritual light and why Lag B'Omer is such a day of great spiritual light for it is a day when the inner divine essence of reality can more easily shine through.

Lag B'Omer commemorates the yahrzeit ( death anniversary) of Rabbi Shimon Bar Yochai. The yahrzeit of such a person is called Yom Hilul ( Day of Memorial Rejoicing) for the soul of the departed is elevated to a higher level on the yahrzeit. The light and goodness of such a being as Shimon Bar Yochai is said to become more powerful, and accessible to people, especially for healing, after his death, when he is not limited to a physical body. In Israel, hundreds and thousands of people gather in Meron where Rabbi Shimon Bar Yochai is buried to celebrate the yahrzeit of this greatest saint with bonfires, music, and hair cutting of little boys of three years of age.

Though Beit Miriam is regrettably not holding its annual powerful Lag B'Omer meditation and party, there are lots of other gatherings in New York and elsewhere. What is most important on Lag B'Omer day however is to mention the name of Shimon Bar Yochai , give charity in his name, learn about him, make some connection to him. Tzaddikim are very much alive, blessing and supporting us like angels even if they are not physically living for hundreds or even thousands of years. When we connect ourselves to a tzaddik, we receive more blessing than we would on our own, On the yahrzeit, if we are attached to the tzaddik, we are elevated along with the tzaddik and filled with joy and blessing.
On Lag B'Omer the energy of the month of Iyar shifts. As we have learned, Iyar is a month of healing. For some of us, the beginning of Iyar seemed a little heavy. It is important to bear in mind that healing in not linear but spiral. As we purify, and release what does not support our well being, what is toxic, we re-visit the places within ourselves that block the flow of life energy and divine light. That does not always feel comfortable but as it is part of the healing process, it is good. As we move closer to Shavuos, there is more spiritual light and blessing to lighten our lives.

Please feel free to share this message with anyone and invite them to contact me to receive an invitation to join the Beitmiriam email list or they can join themselves at Beitmiriam@yahoogroups.com. Always feel free from time to time to drop me a line and say hi. In that way, we get to know each other a bit.
Love and blessings, Melinda ( Mindy)"

gryp

Post Tue, May 09 2006, 2:15 pm
reviving old threads again.

chen

Post Tue, May 09 2006, 2:26 pm
GR wrote:
reviving old threads again.

whew, that explains the "Lag baomer is on friday".

gryp

Post Tue, May 09 2006, 2:55 pm
you must be one of the people who click on the thread title as opposed to the last post. Wink

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 09 2006, 2:58 pm
Simcha Kanter will be perfoming at Beis Levi Yitzchok on Crown Street at 9 PM on Monday night.

Tuesday night I have a wedding.

chen

Post Wed, May 10 2006, 8:23 am
GR wrote:
you must be one of the people who click on the thread title as opposed to the last post. Wink

I wasn't here last Lag baomer.

imaamy

Post Fri, May 12 2006, 9:35 am
We can't wait. Next year we won't forget to get our son's haircut before Pesach. Looks like a bush! These days many of the boys are growing their hair kinda shaggy like a throwback to the 70s. Well on our kid it just looks like BIG hair! Even he wants it cut and usually he doesn't want to go to the barber as soon as we want him to.

amother

Post Sun, May 21 2006, 11:30 am
I was there, at the Lag B'Omer parade and program in Boro Park, it was great! Look at these pics!

http://www.crownheights.info/?itemid=2215

Also, for those who live in the area, you should know that Lag B'Omer night there is a HUGE bonfire on 16th Ave in the 40's across from Stolin, with thousands of people. It takes place at 11 p.m.

Motek

Post Tue, May 20 2008, 6:22 pm
The Gaon, R' Yeshaya Osher Zelig Margolis of Yerushalayim was celebrating Lag B'Omer when several yeshiva bachurim from overseas joined the gathering. They had grown beards during Sefira but had shaved on Lag B'Omer.

R' Margolis said, "Throughout the days of the omer, you restrained from touching your beards. Today, the day of Rabbi Shimon's rejoicing, you too are joining in the rejoicing. But how are you marking his holy day? By trampling on his words*. This is like what it says in the Megilla, 'Would you assault the queen while I am home?' My words bore fruit and the students resolved never to touch their beards." (Amudei Arazim)

* Zohar vol. III p. 130b says, "Woe to those who extend their hands against the precious, sublime beard."

flowerpower

Post Tue, May 20 2008, 6:30 pm
I think I might go to the big parade lubabitch is making by 18 ave park.

amother

Post Thu, May 22 2008, 12:56 pm
flowerpower wrote:
I think I might go to the big parade lubabitch is making by 18 ave park.

It's at 1:00 and starting from 16th ave and 57th.

gryp

Post Thu, May 22 2008, 1:42 pm
Uncle Moishy's coming to our rally in front of 770. My kids are so excited, I hope they can get close enough to see him. They don't believe me that he's a real live person.

flowerpower

Post Thu, May 22 2008, 1:46 pm
Why are u anonymous? Is it embarrasing to say what time it starts?

Gr-dc would be thrilled to see him. Went like 2 years ago to his concert and ds sat there all quiet.

poelmamosh

Post Thu, May 22 2008, 1:56 pm
flower, Uncle Moishy is coming to Crown Heights tomorrow - not sure about BP. I'm not amother (I'm a proud resident of CH, and everyone knows me LOL ) but I imagine the mommy behind the mask does not want to associate her sn with the location of the parade...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics