Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Brisket recipe-not sweet

pabambi

Post Thu, Aug 22 2013, 10:51 am
trying to stay away from sweet sauces and processed sauces and stuff. can anyone give me a recipe for brisket that does not involve sweet sauce, no sugar/apricot jam/ketchup...thanks

greenfire

Post Thu, Aug 22 2013, 11:50 am
put it on the stove top with carrots, celery, onions, garlic cloves, black pepper, garlic powder, and paprika ... spread with a little olive oil on top side then cook on medium high heat ... when juices concentrate - add some water turn low & then cover - needs a couple of hours ... kool down - slice meat - then reheat in the self-made gravies

rachel6543

Post Thu, Aug 22 2013, 12:26 pm
Kosher by design short on time has an easy recipe. I'm away from home, but basic recipe was

Diced onions
Mushrooms
Tomatoes (canned or fresh work)
Red wine
Salt & pepper

Brown brisket on stove a few min.

Then add veggies, wine (should cover brisket, I think about 1 cup?) and bake in oven. I think it's 350 until done

iamamother

Post Thu, Aug 22 2013, 12:47 pm
carmalize diced onions- take them out.
season meat with salt and pepper and sear on all sides
but onions on top of meat. add water garlic and if u like some wine.
cover and simmer till ready...

mha3484

Post Thu, Aug 22 2013, 2:08 pm
I made this coffee brisket last sukkos and really really liked it.

http://www.realsimple.com/food......html

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Aug 22 2013, 2:14 pm
I use ketchup but you could use tomato sauce or paste, I'm sure, without adding any sugar.

Line a large heavy sheet of foil with sliced onions. Place roast on top. Smear with ketchup/paste. Sprinkle a few Tbsp. onion soup mix on top. Cover tightly and bake low for a few hours, in the oven or crockpot.
Separate roast from gravy and refrigerate. Next day, slice roast thin, skim fat off gravy, pour over roast in pan or zipper bag, freeze. Reheat when needed. Or make closer to when you need it and refrigerate till then.

smss

Post Thu, Aug 22 2013, 2:17 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I use ketchup but you could use tomato sauce or paste, I'm sure, without adding any sugar.

Line a large heavy sheet of foil with sliced onions. Place roast on top. Smear with ketchup/paste. Sprinkle a few Tbsp. onion soup mix on top. Cover tightly and bake low for a few hours, in the oven or crockpot.
Separate roast from gravy and refrigerate. Next day, slice roast thin, skim fat off gravy, pour over roast in pan or zipper bag, freeze. Reheat when needed. Or make closer to when you need it and refrigerate till then.

onion soup mix has sugar Smile
that's a yummy recipe though - I've made that one before

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Aug 22 2013, 2:25 pm
Yeah, I didn't process the non-processed, just the non-sweet, because my family doesn't do sweet proteins. But good point. I guess that there are onion soup powder substitutes out there - minced onion, salt, pepper, maybe some natural non-fish umami-tasting something. (Umami is the "fifth" tasting sensation. Basically, savory. Often obtained through fish derivatives.)

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Aug 22 2013, 5:53 pm
Here's my basic oven brisket recipe that's not sweet at all. It does have onion soup powder, but you can substitute soy sauce instead. This comes out very soft, freezes and reheats well.

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....isket
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics