Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
Serving hot food second night - how?
1  2  Next

ariellabella

Post Tue, Aug 27 2013, 1:59 pm
I can't remember what I did last year, but for safety reasons we only leave a hotplate/plata on a timer for reheating food. For those of you who do the same, how do you serve a warm meal second night yom tov? If I can't put the food on until after candlelighting, dinner is going to be really late. I was hoping to serve soup, but I can't think how this will be possible. Maybe if I put it on hours earlier to have some as a snack in the afternoon of the first day, and then just leave the pot on?

Tamiri

Post Tue, Aug 27 2013, 2:05 pm
ariellabella wrote:
I can't remember what I did last year, but for safety reasons we only leave a hotplate/plata on a timer for reheating food. For those of you who do the same, how do you serve a warm meal second night yom tov? If I can't put the food on until after candlelighting, dinner is going to be really late. I was hoping to serve soup, but I can't think how this will be possible. Maybe if I put it on hours earlier to have some as a snack in the afternoon of the first day, and then just leave the pot on?
What you wrote. Everyone has to deal with it....

etky

Post Tue, Aug 27 2013, 2:21 pm
Make things that taste good room temp. too or things that reheat quickly (shnitzel rather than chicken for example). Heat things in disposable thin aluminum pans that can be stacked and rotated often. Use pans with large surface areas and spread the contents as thinly as possible in the pan.
Don't know about the soup - you probably should ask a rabbi. If it's a no-go I would not serve soup that night. It won't heat up enough from the fridge in time for dinner. I leave on a burner for the soup but I understand your reluctance to do so.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Aug 27 2013, 3:03 pm
I learnt that you can put the cold food straight from the fridge while the plata on timer is still off.

Sanguine

Post Tue, Aug 27 2013, 3:24 pm
Don't know if they have these in America but in Israel there's something called a chagaz which makes it all very easy. It lets you put on your stove gases (from a yahtzeit candle) but the gas itself is on a manual timer (those timers you turn with your hand and then goes tick-tick-tick) When the timer ends the gas is cut off so your flame shuts. (Israel only has one day of yontif except RH, so when it's 3 days people go absolutely nuts - that's why they had to invent the chagaz)

Cold ideas - Make Fruit soup or gazpacho. Don't make any sort of noodle kugel - it will be too heavy to heat, but a brocolli kugel (without noodles) should heat OK. Fish will work too. Be creative with cold. Friday lunch we're taking a break from heavy meals and having bagels (That's a real special treat for us here so it's fitting for yontif)

Sanguine

Post Tue, Aug 27 2013, 3:38 pm
"Maybe if I put it on hours earlier to have some as a snack in the afternoon of the first day, and then just leave the pot on?"

I once asked a rabbi a similar question - I had made fruit soup which I wanted to eat Thursday night. I had no room in the fridge so I planned to freeze it till Thursday afternoon when I would take it out to defrost (obviously a problem to take out on Thurs afternoon for Thurs night) - He said it would be OK if we were having ice cream for lunch on Thursday and the fruit soup was blocking the ice cream in the freezer and I had to take it out to get to the IC and then I just didn't bother to put it back in. He said I could set up my freezer in that order before chag - Yours is even better - You are actually taking it out to eat - Why would you have to return it?

Sugar plum

Post Tue, Aug 27 2013, 3:46 pm
My mother does that, she heats up the food in the afternoon and someone eats a plate before candle lighting. Then it stays on the blech to keep warm.

freidasima

Post Tue, Aug 27 2013, 3:48 pm
We always do that, have a "meal" at four oclock in the afternoon with a drop of the food that is heated up and just leave it on...for later at night. It's a kind of "continuous feed" which reminds me of cholent...

mommyhood

Post Tue, Aug 27 2013, 5:00 pm
I serve an appetizer that can be eaten cold or at room temperature like salmon or another fish. I don't leave on a burner so I don't serve soup. We start with challah then have a whole plate of simanim then the appetizer. That usually gives my food enough time to heat up if I put it on as soon as it's tzeis. I find RH davening is longer so dh doesn't come home right away so that also gives is time. Platas are generally very hot.

shalhevet

Post Tue, Aug 27 2013, 5:01 pm
I don't serve soup that night.

I put the food on the platta at the first possible minute, and put smallish quantities in shallow layers. Meanwhile there is maariv, and then kiddush, and then a first course. By which time the food is pretty hot.

I have more of a problem the morning of RH. Putting food on the platta before going to shul for around 6-8 hours is too long. And when we get back we eat. I usually look for a less lazy (and younger) volunteer to run back in the pre-shofar break (which is also for kiddush) and put the food on.

rb10d

Post Wed, Aug 28 2013, 12:36 pm
you can take the soup out of the the fridge with enough time that someone could theoretically or even practically have some before shkia. then serve an appetizer that does not need to be served warm (salad or fish or fruit) and by that time your soup will be piping hot (it also helps to serve a thinner soup and warm up the knaidlach on their own)

ariellabella

Post Wed, Aug 28 2013, 12:50 pm
Thank you everyone for your very helpful replies!

Vanilla

Post Wed, Aug 28 2013, 4:05 pm
In the past, I've used tea lights spread out on a cookie sheet (not too many) in the oven. It works beautifully,although more slowly. Nothing burns! I wouldn't use this method for soup though.

allrgymama

Post Wed, Aug 28 2013, 7:48 pm
1) As others have said, I heat up my soup before the zman and my daughter has a 'little supper' before the full meal. We do this every Friday afternoon anyway, so it's totally normal.

2) I also have a week-long timer. So my plata gets plugged into that and it goes on and off when I need it to. IIRC, you're also allowed to move the pieces (that signal when it goes on and off), so if I originally set it to go on at 11 am and at 9 am I realized that I need it on earlier, I can re-set the pieces. Cold food can go on when it's off (to come to room temperature) and then you don't have to run down to put the food on when the plata goes on

3) I also leave a flame or two on on my stove, to cook food fresh.

4) I also leave my oven on to cook food fresh.

5) I also have no problem starting a night meal half an hour after the men come home from shul.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 28 2013, 9:49 pm
Vanilla wrote:
In the past, I've used tea lights spread out on a cookie sheet (not too many) in the oven. It works beautifully,although more slowly. Nothing burns! I wouldn't use this method for soup though.
People have had their ovens explode with this method.
Please use a safer method in the future.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 28 2013, 9:50 pm
I serve a cold fish and dips course.
Soup gets warmed on the hotplate in a disposable aluminum pan, which takes much faster than when in a pot.
Main dish as well. Although often I just serve a good-at-room-temperature main dish.

willow

Post Thu, Aug 29 2013, 10:07 am
still to hot for a hot soup so serve something room temp like fancy salad or fish. Or make cold soup

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Aug 29 2013, 11:51 am
I second serving a cold appetizer. As soon as it's time to start 2nd day yom tov, put all of the food on the blech first. Set the table, make salad, etc.. afterwards.
Then I would serve cold fruit soup or a salad course first to give the food time to heat up.
Also,serving food like shnitzel , noodle kugel, apple dishes, etc.. that are good even if not boiling hot makes thing easier.

seeker

Post Thu, Aug 29 2013, 4:07 pm
allrgymama wrote:
1) As others have said, I heat up my soup before the zman and my daughter has a 'little supper' before the full meal. We do this every Friday afternoon anyway, so it's totally normal.

2) I also have a week-long timer. So my plata gets plugged into that and it goes on and off when I need it to. IIRC, you're also allowed to move the pieces (that signal when it goes on and off), so if I originally set it to go on at 11 am and at 9 am I realized that I need it on earlier, I can re-set the pieces. Cold food can go on when it's off (to come to room temperature) and then you don't have to run down to put the food on when the plata goes on

3) I also leave a flame or two on on my stove, to cook food fresh.

4) I also leave my oven on to cook food fresh.

5) I also have no problem starting a night meal half an hour after the men come home from shul.

Where do you get a week-long timer? Have you been using it long? Because I'm looking to replace my 24-hour timer that stopped working AGAIN (they seem to need replacement every year or so! ANd of course you only realize this on a 3-day hot yomtov when your air conditioner turns off the first night and never goes back on. Fed up.)

Regarding moving the times I hope you aylor'ed that because I don't recall the details but I learned it's not that simple. Something like you're allowed to take out stops so it stays the same, but not put them in elsewhere, or something, but please don't look at the details because I totally don't remember, I ask DH again every time because he has a better memory for these things. Just ask your own if you didn't already.

allrgymama

Post Thu, Aug 29 2013, 4:38 pm
I will have to ask my husband on both counts because he's the one who bought it and he was the one talking about changing times

He probably got it at center of town, but I'll ask
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics