Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
White after labor day

amother

Post Sun, Sep 01 2013, 11:59 pm
I know not to wear white shoes after labor day...
what do you fashionistas have to say about nude shoes...

DrMom

Post Mon, Sep 02 2013, 12:11 am
Does anyone still follow these "rules"?

amother

Post Mon, Sep 02 2013, 12:26 am
just curious...
those who do follow the rules. what u do?
and for those who so whatever makes sense...would you wear nude shoes over rosh hashana?

amother

Post Mon, Sep 02 2013, 12:58 am
When I used to follow the rules, I would not have worn nude shoes after Labor Day.

hmmmm?

Post Mon, Sep 02 2013, 2:38 am
For the record, the whole "no white after labor day" thing was done away with by the fashion world a long time ago. Perfectly ok to wear white and nude all year round. Would definitely wear nude shoes on r"h, especially if the weather is still warm.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Sep 02 2013, 4:35 am
My grandmother would have a FIT! She drilled that into my head years before I even knew what Labor Day was. She was a total fashionista in her time.

I have no problem with beige, tan, nude shoes after Labor Day. The issue was always specifically "pure white" shoes. I think grandma even had some "winter white/bone" colored pumps that she would wear in the fall, with a cream colored cashmere suit. (That matched her blonde mink coat and cream pearls.)

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Sep 02 2013, 8:36 am
You can certainly wear winter white after Labor Day. Or something not summery looking, but light weight.

Fox

Post Mon, Sep 02 2013, 1:59 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
My grandmother would have a FIT! She drilled that into my head years before I even knew what Labor Day was. She was a total fashionista in her time.

I have no problem with beige, tan, nude shoes after Labor Day. The issue was always specifically "pure white" shoes. I think grandma even had some "winter white/bone" colored pumps that she would wear in the fall, with a cream colored cashmere suit. (That matched her blonde mink coat and cream pearls.)

This!

I always laugh when I read all the fashion blogs and features that boldly declare this "rule" to be "dead." Then, if you actually read the piece, the authors completely reverse course. They start by pretending the rule was applied to all kinds of garments and accessories to which it was never was (shoes and handbags are the only items that'll get you in trouble with true Southern Belles and their Northern kin) and then they start giving advice like, "Feel free to wear your cream-colored shoes after Labor Day!" -- as if they're real rebels for urging such revolutionary actions.

Like FF says, bone, nude, cream, ecru, taupe, beige, light khaki . . . these are all perfectly fine, and no one every claimed otherwise.

In fact, in the American South, where these rules are taken very seriously, most women consider a pair of off-white shoes in some shade to be pretty important: it's still hot through most of what we'd consider "fall," so they want clothing that doesn't have a relaxed, summer vibe yet doesn't look ridiculously out of season given the weather.

This, in the humble opinions of myself and my DDs, is a scathing indictment of the Obama presidency. Unlike some of her predecessors, Michelle Obama comes from a family that would not have permitted her to wear white shoes before Memorial Day or after Labor Day. Sadly, she has chosen to battle childhood obesity rather than advocate for the legislation needed to stop the scourge of white shoes worn out of season.

LOL

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, Aug 14 2020, 9:42 am
I know this is an old thread....
My daughter keeps telling me that winter white is perfectly OK... What makes something "winter" white? If my daughter had an off white and black summer dress, can she wear it all year? Don't those who wear white dresses or skirts when everyone is in black stick out?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Aug 14 2020, 9:45 am
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
I know this is an old thread....
My daughter keeps telling me that winter white is perfectly OK... What makes something "winter" white? If my daughter had an off white and black summer dress, can she wear it all year? Don't those who wear white dresses or skirts when everyone is in black stick out?

If it’s a wintery dress (heavy, winter material or style), then it’s ok if it’s white, and she can wear it with black tights. If it’s summery material or style or pattern, then she can do what she wants, but it’s a fashion faux pa to wear in the winter.

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Aug 14 2020, 9:47 am
Huh, a strange philosophy for Jews to live by. Means no wearing white for Rosh HaShana and Yom Kippur. Not that I'm complaining, usually those who wear white on a rare basis don't realize their clothing is totally transparent and I'm praying neilah with some lady's thong flashing through her white skirt.

Elfrida

Post Fri, Aug 14 2020, 10:53 am
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
Huh, a strange philosophy for Jews to live by. Means no wearing white for Rosh HaShana and Yom Kippur. Not that I'm complaining, usually those who wear white on a rare basis don't realize their clothing is totally transparent and I'm praying neilah with some lady's thong flashing through her white skirt.

Then stop looking at it and focus on your machzor!

Anyway, I understood that this applied to shoes, not skirts - transparent or otherwise. So if anyone had white crocs, or slippers, or whatever else is now worn on Yom Kippur, they can consider the importance of sins against fashion in addition to the more normal priorities for teshuva.

'Al Chet sh'chatanu lefaneicha in wearing white shoes after the summer is ended...
V'al Chet sh'chatanu lefaneicha by criticising other peoples clothes instead of concentrating on my own davening...

Anyway, this year you don't need to worry. You probably won't be able to go to shul. And if you are lucky enough to go, the seats should be far enough apart that you won't see the details of anyone else's clothes.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Aug 14 2020, 10:59 am
Funny. When I saw the dates, and that this thread was being revived, before I saw that it was now about winter white, I thought, beige shoes after Labor Day? When it can be in the 80s through October? (And then snow the next week.) No problem.

dankbar

Post Sat, Aug 15 2020, 11:13 pm
White dresses are worn at winter weddings in 2020
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics