Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Supper Ideas for a Year! Be a part of it!
  Previous  1  2  3 8 9  10  11  Next

AlwaysThinking

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 3:03 am
It's being sold at DB electronics. Someone should let them know.

Raisin

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 5:33 am
if it is privately published I doubt she is making much money off it. She will have to pay herself for each book she prints, probably at least $15 if not more, and arrange all the distribution, which so far seems to be some random businesses she has a connection to. She will make a few dollars off each book she sells.

I don't think what she did is right, and she could so easily have been upfront and honest: I am self publishing a cookbook, send me your ideas and I can let you have a cookbook at cost price. Or if I make enough money maybe even for free.

But I really doubt she is getting rich off this.

Marion

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 7:45 am
I'm actually amazed this thread is not yet locked...

theoneandonly

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 8:18 am
Raisin wrote:
if it is privately published I doubt she is making much money off it. She will have to pay herself for each book she prints, probably at least $15 if not more, and arrange all the distribution, which so far seems to be some random businesses she has a connection to. She will make a few dollars off each book she sells.

I don't think what she did is right, and she could so easily have been upfront and honest: I am self publishing a cookbook, send me your ideas and I can let you have a cookbook at cost price. Or if I make enough money maybe even for free.

Which makes what she did even stupider. She makes the entire Imamother annoyed at her and becomes known as a scamster and someone not to trust for maybe a few dollars.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 8:32 am
theoneandonly wrote:
Raisin wrote:

Which makes what she did even stupider. She makes the entire Imamother annoyed at her and becomes known as a scamster and someone not to trust for maybe a few dollars.

Talk about bad for shidduchim...

oliveoil

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 8:36 am
You don't make more than a few dollars per book when you publish with a publisher either.

I am not so quick to give her the benefit of the doubt as some other posters suggested. Unfortunately the online food blogging, cake decorating & recipe sharing world is rampant with outright "theft" - people claiming other people's pictures and recipes as their own left, right and center.

yummydd

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 8:39 am
I also only sent my recipes to the newer email adress. So she doesn't have mine either Wink

Success10

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 8:42 am
oliveoil wrote:
You don't make more than a few dollars per book when you publish with a publisher either.

I am not so quick to give her the benefit of the doubt as some other posters suggested. Unfortunately the online food blogging, cake decorating & recipe sharing world is rampant with outright "theft" - people claiming other people's pictures and recipes as their own left, right and center.

But we didn't even hear her side of the story...

SplitPea

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 8:49 am
Success10 wrote:
oliveoil wrote:

I think by now she has plenary of opportunity to tell her site of the story......

Success10

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 8:56 am
SplitPea wrote:
Success10 wrote:
oliveoil wrote:

I think by now she has plenary of opportunity to tell her site of the story......

It depends if she's watching this board or not, I'm guessing not. She's not the shaitel lady....

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 9:09 am
oliveoil wrote:

When a book is self-published, the author is putting out money up front. She has to recoup her printing expenses and probably some ancillary costs like a graphic artist, a photographer, and a copy editor before making any profit. An author working through a regular publisher does not have to deal with that, even though the royalty payment may be minimal.

In any event, if this was a scam, I just don't get it. She would have received lots of recipes being upfront and honest. She could have paid back contributors with an acknowledgement and a free e-book copy. She'd get some free haskamas, some referral sales, a lot of good publicity, and everybody would be happy.

Sherri

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 10:11 am
groisamomma wrote:
What she did was unfair and sneaky.

Doesn't that make it the same as all the Mishpacha, Binah, and Ami writers that come here for fodder for their articles? Just as violating.

Carry on.
Yes, I think when writers come here without stating their purposes it is sneaky and violating.

Yael

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 10:53 am
I have been in touch with Bracha Back, the author of A month of Menus. She asked me to post this message on her behalf.

Quote:
Hi, My name is Bracha Back, my email address is bracha_w [at] hotmail.com. I wrote A Month Of Menus Cookbook and am currently selling it. I chanced upon this thread of a bunch of people bashing me and my cookbook, which I spent a lot of time working really hard on by the way, when I really would have preferred receiving a personal message from any one of you to be able to clear this up. No, I am not 'Busy as a Bee', I have no idea who she is and, to be honest, had I seen this post a year ago or whenever it was originally posted I would probably have emailed in a week of menus because I always love getting new ideas and recipes from people. The picture you referred to on amazon that you assumed was your stolen recipe for yogurt dressing is actually something totally different and it would be really nice had someone contacted me directly to clear this up from my fb page or however you may have liked. Never and nowhere did I claim the recipes in my cookbook to all be originals, on the contrary if any of you had looked at the actual book you will see they are each credited to a friend or family member from who I got it as far as I can remember. I am really sorry if any of you took offense or were upset thinking I stole from you personally and I hope you can forgive me for that feeling because I know it's not a good feeling, just as it is not a good feeling to find people are trying to 'investigate' you without trying to get the real story and are jumping to conclusions and judging based on, well I'm not sure what it is based on actually. So again, I welcome any one of you to contact me directly if there is any more information on this matter that you would like and I apologize for the uproar this misunderstanding has caused.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 11:08 am
Well, ouch. Now Bracha deserves an apology for being judged on this runaway train... Sad

Cookies n Cream

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 11:36 am
This is so wierd.
Didn't a poster say that the recipes are identical?

sarahd

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 11:37 am
I dunno. There are still a lot of unanswered questions here. Is Bracha's cookbook the one that's being sold at DB Electronics? Is it the one wispalover saw on Facebook that has the exact menus some of us contributed? My recipes might not all be original, but I think my menus are original enough that it would be unlikely for someone else to come up with them on their own. Who is busy as a bee and what happened to her? How did she come up with this idea at this time? And so on.

Mystery not solved, IMO.

wispalover

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 11:42 am
Yes there were menus that were exactly the same, and in the format busy as a bee asked for.
That said I don't think we will ever know the truth :/ maybe busy as a bee passed off some of ours as her own or wanted to make a rival cookbook for some reason.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 11:43 am
sarahd wrote:
I dunno. There are still a lot of unanswered questions here. Is Bracha's cookbook the one that's being sold at DB Electronics? Is it the one wispalover saw on Facebook that has the exact menus some of us contributed? My recipes might not all be original, but I think my menus are original enough that it would be unlikely for someone else to come up with them on their own. Who is busy as a bee and what happened to her? How did she come up with this idea at this time? And so on.

Mystery not solved, IMO.

I did not see any exact recipes on the facebook page to compare to. Did anyone? Link please? Is this all based off a photo of a salad recipe with pink yogurt dressing (which is a pretty common recipe?)

backses

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 11:58 am
Yes, the cookbook is the one being sold at DB. I don't know which one wispalover saw on Facebook but there are none of the menus posted on there so she couldn't have seen that. and just because there's no way of knowing who busy as a bee is or what happened to her is not a reason to jump to conclusions and accuse people of being horrible and bashing their work. There are mysteries in life but that's no reason to lose common decency towards another human being without even trying to contact them for the facts. And I am more then happy to tell you the truth if you want to ask a question and not just speculate.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 11:58 am
http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ.....nk-20

No recipes were actually listed on there, just pics.
Page 9 of 11   Previous  1  2  3 8 9  10  11  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus